The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Biblical quantities of rain forecast -- and someone has "borrowed" the wiper blades from my Land-Rover. I expect they will bring them back when they have finished with them.

You may be waiting some time.

40 days and 40 nights?

Hi All

I see we’re still here carrying on as usual and I'm late on again - nothing to do with the Mayan apocalypse though I was up before the lark to get a lift into town. Had to do some last minute Christmas present shopping. How come it takes so long to get just a few items? I suppose I did have a midmorning hot chocolate and met up with family for lunch so that accounts for some of the time.

And a certain model railway periodical was in Smith’s a day ahead of ETA so spent the evening eyeing up some nice looking locos.

So there you have it.

Will try a bit earlier tomorrow.

• RMweb Gold

Biblical quantities of rain forecast -- and someone has "borrowed" the wiper blades from my Land-Rover. I expect they will bring them back when they have finished with them.

Probably they will complain that they didn't clear their screen properly and sue you! My Land Rover (one of the Liverpool made type) has very odd windscreen wipers, not like any car I've had before.

Good morning all.

Weekly Cleaning of my room and my laundry day are Tuesdays. The chief of the cleaning ladies has been round to advise alternative arrangements for Christmas and New Years weeks, but so far dead silence re laundry. I shall have to enquire, but I've left it a bit late!

Wind cloud overhead at dawn, but breaking up a bit now so possibly a clear day ahead. Max forecast a nice comfortable 25C.

Happy last minute shopping!

I still haven't done my gift tags and that's ALL that I have to do. Disgusting procrastinator.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Don, the washing machine seems to run a couple of times daily here, we must be very messy. I can just about hear it running at the moment.

I have a few cards to deliver and I'll wrap Aditi's present this afternoon while she is at the hairdresser (in Brentwood).

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

I'll need to run my machine today also.

Whether I get the washing dry today is another thing. Due to no longer having a serviceable dryer and in reality lacking a proper space for one, it all goes over the radiators in winter!

Into the last hour of a pretty busy shift now and one more to go tonight before I'm off until Thursday!

• Like 1

Good morning all from a wet and windy Torbay!

Another early start as I've volunteered to help with the making of Christingles at church for the service tomorrow afternoon. Then it's the final food shop for Christmas Day, etc.

Today marks my late parents' Wedding Anniversary. They were married in 1943, after a six month engagement, much to the concern of my maternal grandparents who weren't keen on their daughter marrying a "foreigner". My Dad was from Northern Ireland!

Have a good weekend, everyone, despite the rain and the busyness!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Foggy and dreich outside, which is really turning depressing. I'd much prefer a blanket of snow across the land – makes things so much brighter even if the sun's not shining! Presents are packed, so as soon as SWMBO is up and ready, we'll be ready to roll.

Enjoy your day, guys and gals!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Dark and dismal here in Norfolk, the rain is just arriving.

I hope all our friends who are affected by the weather get some respite soon.

Off to face the shops soon, the final push before Christmas, we've supported the local shop and ordered a load of provisions from there.

Have a good day all.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Gues what it is raining again. I don't think we will get much respite today.

Don you have to beware the laundry in homes. Despite SWMBO having carefully labelled all her parents clothes some seem to disappear whilst others not theirs turn up. Mind you it doesn't help that they cannot remember which are actually theirs. Most amusing was Dad's thermal vests which came back shrunk to childs size. For health reasons underwear needs to be washed at 60deg so delicate materials are out.

Don

Good morning all, just in case any ones interested it's raining hard in North Somerset.............now the family arguments have started,,,,,& I'm in the middle! maybe I should have take the up the offer to have spent my break with GF in Florida?

The Grinch.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

and it's pis tipping down, and forecast to carry on into the night. My thoughts are with those who are battling against to either keep their own homes safe or on behalf of the rest of us be it keeping the weather at bay or running essential services such as our utilIity and rail networks etc.

More fortunately today I need only go out for the 'paper (although no doubt Tesco will be much like a war zone as it was yesterday) and this afternoon we'll be off to Pangbourne to collect various meats and pies from the butcher although some of the country roads will no doubt be in an 'interesting' state. The dining room is still devoted to dining and the study needs further attention - so I'm told.

Have a good day one & all.

• RMweb Gold

Don, thanks for the warning. I am already aware of the phenomenon of the wandering socks. If the returned ones are better than mine, do I keep them? :scratchhead:

Usual rules apply - only worth keeping if they've arrived in pairs!

Morning all

Yes, a wet night here, too - and still drizzling now. At the bottom of the hill is a stream by the mill (yeah, yeah, Nellie Dean etc) and that has a sluiced pond with a rather nice fishing hut on one side. Suffice to say the muddy water level is nearly up to the roof of the hut! Whether anyone will open the sluices, I don't know, but the water isn't far below road level now. The bypass stream is about 8 feet lower. None of my business, whatever. The mill isn't occupied all the time - an elderly couple used to appear in Summer, but they disappeared a few years back. A younger couple have been spending money on the place - but they've been absent for a few weeks now. I bet it is cold and damp inside.

All my life our dining table has been used as a dining table. At school I was allowed to do my homework on it, but had to vacate to allow it to be set for dinner.

When I was the only kid left at home, the dining table was moved to the 2nd bed room, and my train layout was set up in the dining room, the 3rd bedroom becoming my bedroom.

Later on we aquired a large refectory table seating 8 to 10 so the dining room reverted to being a dining room. I remember Christmas dinners (lunch time) at that table with cousins and aunt round that table.

Happy memories!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I am late but pumping garden out was an important job to do this morning - and its still raining

Our dining table seats 8 but we are on half rations this year - as I am cooking Christmas Dinner again this means we will have lots of food left over (not!) Sprouts are on!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, hope we are all well. I've been very tardy about reporting in of late, but glad to see most of the usual suspects are still alive and kicking (if some are not kicking as well as others then please accept my apologies as I have to admit that I haven't waded through the last twenty pages or so since my last visiit).

Just another couple of days to Chrimbo so I've been told, not a lot of festive spirit around chez moi. With kids and grandkids in Oz and Germany, and a mother with alzheimers it's just going to be another day to tick off. Notwithstanding that I'd like to wish all ERs a Happy Christmas, (a bit early but not sure if I'll be dropping in again pre the day) and for those whose year has been laced with unpleasantness or heartache I hope you have the best time that you can manage.

I'm driving on the Mid Hants tomorrow which is not going to be fun in this weather. We're on the U which has an open back and a torn stormsheet, which makes running tender first rather damp!

Anyway have a good one, see you all later.

BTW I see that Wokingham has been voted the 4th best place to live in the UK. Don't they know who lives there?

I would have thought that that fact alone would put it out of the running......

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

We seem to be having the same weather as much of the country. The quantity of water down at the local treatment plant (used to be called sewage) has caused some problems but I believe they have been resolved.

I suppose I'd better go and deliver some local cards. Do I take Robbie for a walk round Benfleet or do I drive round? Decisions, decisions!

Morning all,

and it's pis tipping down, and forecast to carry on into the night. My thoughts are with those who are battling against to either keep their own homes safe or on behalf of the rest of us be it keeping the weather at bay or running essential services such as our utilIity and rail networks etc.

More fortunately today I need only go out for the 'paper (although no doubt Tesco will be much like a war zone as it was yesterday) and this afternoon we'll be off to Pangbourne to collect various meats and pies from the butcher although some of the country roads will no doubt be in an 'interesting' state. The dining room is still devoted to dining and the study needs further attention - so I'm told.

Have a good day one & all.

If you're in Pangbourne and love cheese, there's a wonderful cheese shop there. Well worth popping into...

http://www.greys-cheese.co.uk

"BTW I see that Wokingham has been voted the 4th best place to live in the UK. Don't they know who lives there?

I would have thought that that fact alone would put it out of the running......"

That's no way to speak about my neighbour, Kenton......... :biggrin_mini2:

I was out that day....

Edit: How the mighty have fallen..... :biggrin_mini2:

Where can I find a young family though...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9577542/Wokingham-is-best-place-for-young-family.html

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Guess what the weather here is like.

Answers on the back of a five pound note to ......

For my latest plank effort I am going to give wire in tube point control a go, so I ordered some bits and pieces to have a play about with it. The parcel has just arrived and, like an excited kid at christmas (see what I did there?) I tore into the package and delved in to retrieve the enclosed goodies. Nobody told me how firm and sharp the wire is. Whereas little Jack Horner ended up with a plum on his thumb I just ended up with blood on mine. A good start to the day.

P.S. Anyone know how to remove blood from an iPad screen?

• Like 1