The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Nope

Oh well, at least you got to stand where he did. He was much loved here, something about him just endeared him to the Australian supporters and the players. If Dickie Bird gave one of ours out it didn't seem as bad.

The same thing applied for Alan Knott, the UK wickie in the mid-seventies, we had a lot of time  for him, with his gloves and floppy hat he looked a bit like a flowerpot man.  Derek Randall too springs to mind, his cunning strategy of being humourous   won us over, they'd have both been welcome in the Australian team!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Oh well, at least you got to stand where he did. He was much loved here, something about him just endeared him to the Australian supporters and the players. If Dickie Bird gave one of ours out it didn't seem as bad.

Because he was right.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

With a gag order in place?

Perhaps it's about time he was found in Contempt of Court and sent down to spend a night in the Cells - a communal one shared with Pimps, Druggies and Pushers.  And then he has to apologise to the Judge - or he'll get another go.

Won't happen, or course - more's the pity; it might just do him some good.  He needs a dose of Judge John Deed.

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, polybear said:

That'll be the DDT....now't to worry about there then......

Woah  there,  Mr Rent A Kill!

We only need to repel  them, not obliterate everything in the vicinity, and for that a consumer level insect repellant is completely  adequate.

True story! when I went to  Trever Grice's 9th birthday party at a picnic ground at Warragamba dam in 1973 , his mum - annoyed at the swarms of flies that descended on the food, sprayed Aerogard (a popular insect repellant here, ad slogan "Aveagoodweekend - remember the Aerogard") over the table, she tried to avoid the food but there would have been drift and overspray since she didn't mask the plates off first.

Lacking an authentic polaroid picture  taken on the day, I've invoked AI (but only because Grizz did first), to illustrate the situation. It misrepresents the number of kangaroos, there were 3 hanging around from memory.  They have learned to hang around picnic areas, apparently solely  in order get their photo taken, because  they never  seem to be interested in the food.

image.png.236b0f46975ef5815493bd86dc4defbc.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone 

We’ve got sunshine this morning, but it’s a lot colder than of late and the wind has gone too. I’ll be shortly heading off to Vickie’s to collect Ava, who is as usual spending the day here with us. I’m not sure what is on the agenda for today, but there’s definitely no baking involved, more’s the pity.

Anyway, must get going, back later.

Brian 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Ben would quite happily eat anything we gave to him, but he's not in a Labrador's league.

We are careful on what he gets, so "mixed" take away foods he doesn't get. Many human foods are toxic to Doggies.

Postie arrived, parcel with bits for lawn mower, too darn cold to be lying outside on the floor fitting that.

Poo sticks for swmbo, which reminds me must do mine.

The bits for the boat arrived in Norwich, just too late for today's delivery here.

Bits for spinny thingy that arrived yesterday, fitted, as they're epoxied in place, that stops further work till Monday.

Now to research next bit of work on spinny thingy.

Then pay the last quarters electrickery bill for the MRC £608..

• Like 18

10 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Ben would quite happily eat anything we gave to him, but he's not in a Labrador's league.

I had Cooper the Border Collie, he would eat everything, his epic most moment was when I took him for a walk and he dashed off into the scrub and came back chewing on something which once I'd finally wrestled it off him turned out to be a full packet of jelly snakes. I read somewhere later that that kind of confectionery isn't compatible with dogs but he came through it in one piece. 

Some foods are fatal to parrots too so I have to be careful with what treats I give Gary The Parrot and Buttons The House Budgie. . Avocado apparently is like Kryptonite to them, and mushrooms and onions are apparently also a no no.

Gary doesnt help by yelling out "YUM?!!" every time I open the fridge because I then  have to explain to him why the slice of pizza or whatever I'm heating up is out of bounds for him. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

I've never had to suffer through a job interview, all my job moves have been via people recommending jobs to me, or  letting me know there was an opening and then me calling them up and asking what they are offering, or just getting offered  a job via someone in another company I was dealing with approaching me.

Then once I got a high enough security clearance the world that I  work in  was my  lucrative oyster. Its easier to teach someone who already has the right clearance the required skills, than it is to get a clearance for a skilled up person, so as a bonus I get lots of free training.

I'd have no time for sitting in front of some idiot asking me what my aspirations were or whatever, or why I didnt talk  with the right stupid sounding plumy bullsh1t accent or why  my tie wasn't stripy enough,  - or  why I dont even  own a tie, come to that. 

Actually, I don't think any of that would apply here unless you were going for a job at Rugby Australia, or maybe it applies in banking or when  joining our version of the conservative party

Here it would  be more like "What footy team do you go for?...     What, a Manly supporter?!     F ^%#    off before I call the cops!"

Life is too short to sit through all that nonsense and there's heaps more opportunities and much better paid jobs  down here than what those corporate interviewy  types have to offer. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And outside of London it’s a desert - with oases few and far between…

Certainly, you can get (pale imitations of) “ethnic food” (Asian, Indian [well, mostly Bangladeshi], Italian etc) but it’s nearly always what you could term “Hollywood Movie” food, as in “A Blockbuster Movie based on….” where the only thing that is actually original (authentic)  is the name used…

Have you ever got north of the M25 recently? Obviously not as your very broad brush view needs to be revised pdq. Why?

In Leeds and other cities, towns and villages, I am certain that the choice of foods.. generally available prepared by at least first generation visitors (as in Chinese, Thai, Bangladeshi, Indian, Pakistani and both Greek and Turkish) as well as Italian  restaurants  serve food just like it says they are described. I didn't notice any majore differences on my travels.  Unfortunately I await a visit to a local Japanese restaurant to check it out.

Our local chefs may not be too pleased about your views..

Food in Switzerland ( on my business vists) was never really that exciting...even when prepared in the General in charge of Army caterings Castle!

Baz

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

17 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Have you ever got north of the M25 recently? Obviously not as your very broad brush view needs to be revised pdq. Why?

Same thing happens here from those who have never been here - we eat mainly bbq'd Witchety grubs  and pies  or  something apparently.  Actually being a hugely multicultural country so close to Southeast  Asia and the South Pacific and  blessed with the ability to locally grow every type of fresh food our restaurants are brimming with diversity and authentic flavours as well as great fusion combinations.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 16
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Same thing happens here from those who have never been here - we eat mainly bbq'd Witchety grubs  and pies  or  something apparently.  Actually being a hugely multicultural country so close to Asia and the South Pacific and  blessed with the ability to locally grow every type of fresh food our restaurants are brimming with diversity and authentic flavours as well as great fusion combinations.

Mind you, I think that the famous Aussie pies (including those 'floating' in soup, although mine always seemed to sink) are actually generally very good. And as for the seafood - yum yum.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Robbie never stole food until he was eight. He needed an emergency operation that involved remove of testicles. After that the coffee table could not have food left on it. Otherwise no change in behaviour after the op.  

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

We had roast duck tonight, there's a good roast meat shop at the local MRT station which is cheaper than making it at home, and although it looks like just roast duck it's actually quite a convoluted and time consuming process to make Chinese roast duck. 

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

And as for the seafood - yum yum.

Dave

Personally I am not a seafood fan but I still admire it when I see it served up. The "Seafood platter" would be our version of the "Full English Breakfast" as far as how it is held in reverence or whatever by our respective societies. . 

The seafood platter is a menu option for dinner time rather than breakfast,  best ordered when sitting on the deck of an RSL or surf club in a coastal town, watching the diehard  evening surfers ride the waves before the sun sets and the night sharks get them.

Dundees_ultimateseafoodplatter.jpg.97bb251077b103716ea87fbea4d21fa6.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I'm off to Brussels tomorrow for a week. I was meant to fly Lufthansa but got a cryptic message saying my connection  'wasn't granted' which apparently is their way of saying they've cancelled so figure out some other way to get there. Listening to German friends and colleagues I may have dodged a bullet as Lufthansa seem to be all over the place. So it's Turkish via Istanbul, the New airport at Istanbul is vast, very impressive. 

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Robbie never stole food until he was eight. He needed an emergency operation that involved remove of testicles.

Jeez, who's testicles were they?!?!

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Personally I am not a seafood fan but I still admire it when I see it served up. The "Seafood platter" would be our version of the "Full English Breakfast" as far as how it is held in reverence or whatever by our respective societies. . 

The seafood platter is a menu option for dinner time rather than breakfast,  best ordered when sitting on the deck of an RSL or surf club in a coastal town, watching the diehard  evening surfers ride the waves before the sun sets and the night sharks get them.

Dundees_ultimateseafoodplatter.jpg.97bb251077b103716ea87fbea4d21fa6.jpg

That brings back many happy memories of sunset feasts in Palm Cove north of Cairns.

Dave

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I've never had to suffer through a job interview, all my job moves have been via people recommending jobs to me, or  letting me know there was an opening and then me calling them up and asking what they are offering, or just getting offered  a job via someone in another company I was dealing with approaching me.

Then once I got a high enough security clearance the world that I  work in  was my  lucrative oyster. Its easier to teach someone who already has the right clearance the required skills, than it is to get a clearance for a skilled up person, so as a bonus I get lots of free training.

I'd have no time for sitting in front of some idiot asking me what my aspirations were or whatever, or why I didnt talk  with the right stupid sounding plumy bullsh1t accent or why  my tie wasn't stripy enough,  - or  why I dont even  own a tie, come to that. 

Actually, I don't think any of that would apply here unless you were going for a job at Rugby Australia, or maybe it applies in banking or when  joining our version of the conservative party

Here it would  be more like "What footy team do you go for?...     What, a Manly supporter?!     F ^%#    off before I call the cops!"

Life is too short to sit through all that nonsense and there's heaps more opportunities and much better paid jobs  down here than what those corporate interviewy  types have to offer. 

That tends to be the best way, as usually both parties have an awareness of each other and know what they're getting. In Britain it tends to be smaller organisations that do it, or it is very senior roles as in regular companies there are all sorts of interview and selection processes. 

A way around it is the hiring manager, if they know who they want, will write the job spec in such a way that their choice is the only one that fits. Quite often you see jobs with ridiculously specific demands as they want an internal candidate but have to advertise externally because of company procedures. Wasting peoples time to tick a box.

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2