The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

I looked at the offerings on TV this evening, fortunately I have a book I want to read.  If I get bored I'll find something to steam.

We have been making a lot more use of our TV while we were unwell with the respiratory lurgy of unknown provenance.  Nearly all on streamed channels apart from the news and weather.  
Lots of  exciting outings this week, annual hearing test and hopefully tweaking of hearing aids on Monday, Covid booster Tuesday and then Aditi takes over for,her round of appointments but not a Covid booster. Too young at 70 and none of her ailments count this time,  it even caring for a decrepit husband!

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

.... but not a Covid booster. Too young at 70 and none of her ailments count this time,  it even caring for a decrepit husband!

So it's ok for someone to Contract the Woo Flu despite being married to & sharing a house with someone who's got a depressed immune system**  ??  That's just plain F. Nutz

**IIRC 

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

They are actually called  Cordylines,

I'm well aware of what they are thanks, my tongue in cheek comment was a little dig at the north vs south thing earlier, that we can also have such 'exotic' garden ornaments at 55 degrees north.  Maybe you missed the meaning of the 😇 after my comment - it was an attempt at humour, maybe when you get to know us all here better it may make more sense! 

Now that rather nice effort at shelf building in the garden looks like G1, mine is G45 but it would be nice to see some photos of it in action, may I advise they are put on Night Mail though, ER's is supposed to be a train-free environment. 😉

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

OK, so the Plod could possibly have handled it better, but in this Bear's Book the Guy was deliberately out to provoke a reaction/cause trouble.  It's akin to someone wearing a Chelsea FC Shirt walking thru' a huge crowd of Millwall Supporters.....you just don't do it (not if you want to live, anyway)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd130lp70x5o

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

Yep, nothing on the box, unless you like tripe like Talentless Brits.  Luckily I have a book, and there's many CDs/LPs to choose from to listen to!

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, polybear said:

So it's ok for someone to Contract the Woo Flu despite being married to & sharing a house with someone who's got a depressed immune system**  ??  That's just plain F. Nutz

**IIRC 

People who work in care homes with elderly and immune suppressed,people,aren’t eligible this time either.  Boots the Chemist will be offering private Covid jabs for £98.50. If the take up for the NHS ones is low again, there will be a lot wasted. 

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

16 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Yep, nothing on the box, unless you like tripe like Talentless Brits.  Luckily I have a book, and there's many CDs/LPs to choose from to listen to!

Newton Minow's "vast wasteland" is alive and well.

I have the television on a lot. It is usually tuned to the Tennis Chanel. I might actively watch an interesting point being replayed. It's nice to keep track of what is going on. Yesterday they switched over to "pickleball" while I was here on RMweb. I suddenly noticed the cadence of tennis had switched to a raucous thonk/thonk at a much higher frequency. Pickleball is not something you want on in the background. I switched it over to golf - which I will do right now.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Looks like if I want a model of a Manx Norton I'll have to scratch build it.    Now where did I put that brass tube?

TTFNQ

3 hours ago, petethemole said:

Try eBay.  Omit "Italeri".

There's a Revell kit for £50.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315303601403? same kit?

Or this for a change

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145658203338?

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The 'deadliest animal' question popped up today.

The species causing the most human fatalities in the US is humans - though I couldn't find a good source - total annual homicides and automobile fatalities is around 60,000, not counting other accidents.

Besides humans, the most likely culprit is not horses as some might insist, but deer.

CNN: Forget sharks and bears – it’s deer that you should worry about hurting you

I have seen a car immediately ahead of me strike a deer (which had a death-wish and leapt right into the car from the side of the road).

Random searching suggests the following annual US fatality rates:

• Deer 200
  • Dogs 43 (average 2011 - 2021)
  • Snakes 5
  • Bears <1
  • Sharks <1

From a non-fatal standpoint in the US the list of dangerous animals (from an advocacy group) seems to be:

1. Humans
  2. Dogs
  3. Deer

Globally the top three are:

1. Mosquitos
  2. Humans
  3. Snakes
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

I've twice hit deer, luckily only at 30 mph or less and both muntjac which are small.  I have a by had the big Red deer cross my path but avoided them luckily...

Swmbo has a star Trek movie on... Again....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

CNN: Forget sharks and bears – it’s deer that you should worry about hurting you

• Bears <1

I'll have you know that us Bears are much, much scarier than that - we're just better at hiding the bodies.....

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 16

1 minute ago, polybear said:

I'll have you know that us Bears are much, much scarier than that - we're just better at hiding the bodies.....

Is that why Bigfoot really is a myth?

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

7 minutes ago, polybear said:

Not really:

This was nasty:

CNN: An Arizona man was mauled to death by a black bear in a rare, unprovoked attack

Then there are those who encourage being attacked by bears, even if in that case, they weren't - luckily for them.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The 'deadliest animal' question popped up today.

The species causing the most human fatalities in the US is humans - though I couldn't find a good source - total annual homicides and automobile fatalities is around 60,000, not counting other accidents.

Besides humans, the most likely culprit is not horses as some might insist, but deer.

I have seen a car immediately ahead of me strike a deer (which had a death-wish and leapt right into the car from the side of the road).

• Deer 200
  • Dogs 43 (average 2011 - 2021)
  • Snakes 5
  • Bears <1
  • Sharks <1

From a non-fatal standpoint in the US the list of dangerous animals (from an advocacy group) seems to be:

1. Humans
  2. Dogs
  3. Deer

Globally the top three are:

1. Mosquitos
  2. Humans
  3. Snakes

Not fatalities, but I was surprised by the damage wild boar do to motor vehicles.  

ADAC in Germany (like the AA or RAC) reported being called out to rescue vehicles immobilised by boar strikes at an average rate of once every 20 minutes day and night.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Moose are a real danger on the mountain roads in BC. If you could design an animal to be lethal to occupants of a car, you would come up with something very like a moose. Males can weigh over half a ton, they are supported on four spindly legs, at a height about the same as the hood of a compact car. If hit sideways, the body heads straight for the windshield. If it’s possible to avoid doing so, I won’t drive on mountain roads in the dark.

Apparently, rutting males can mistake diesel horns for the call of another male and challenge a locomotive! Definitely a Darwin Award moment for the moose, but half a ton of moose going underneath can cause significant damage to the loco.

Edited by pH
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

......, maybe when you get to know us all here better it may make more sense! 

You are leading the poor chap down the garden path, Neil. Since when has the traffic on ERs made any sense?

Dave 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, polybear said:

Are you in it?

Probably in the medical facility the way my knee is feeling...

• Friendly/supportive 15

5 minutes ago, pH said:

Moose are a real danger on the mountain roads in BC.

Good point. The US National Park Service puts annual US fatalities from ungulates (deer and moose) at 440. (These 'statistics' vary a lot.)

Moose strikes in the US are going to be concentrated in Alaska and the northwestern tier in the lower 48. We have plenty of elk in Oregon.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

7 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

You are leading the poor chap down the garden path, Neil. Since when has the traffic on ERs made any sense?

Dave 

I've frequented ER for several years now.  On good days I can interpret a fair bit.  On bad days, however....  🤔🤪

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

As I reported last weekend, this weekend saw the second muddling exhibition.  Once again a good hours drive - but on mountain roads perhaps not as far as some might imagine.   

Somewhat disappointed since there were rather few layouts on display, although those there were very good and ran well.  trade support was however very good and only strong will stopped me spending several Deltics worth.

So that is probably that for another couple of years.  

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Probably in the medical facility the way my knee is feeling...

I did my right knee in years ago, going down a hatchway on a narrowboat in an incautious manner and bending it back to front...  Its given me gyp ever since.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Pickleball

Again ER is educational. Thanks to your post and Google I now know what Pickleball is.  I think I may have seen some people playing it or something similar on a cruise ship. I just thought it  was something that family had done to use their table tennis bats with a bigger ball. All the players were American. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The Muntjac deer that seemed to abound around here a couple of years ago seem to have disappeared. They became very common during lockdown but now have disappeared altogether. I did venture out into the garden, most of the shrubs are doing OK but the California Lilac is looking very poorly. There are about four stems but only one is flowering. This is almost certainly due to the foxes digging around the roots. The hay fever then stopped me doing much else. Later this week I'll get the pruning saw out and cut the none flowering branches off. There is no sign of any digging by the foxes though they are present (I can hear them right now). It will leave the shrub a bit lopsided and a gap in the shrubbery but mother nature will soon sort that out.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10