The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning All.

Very wet and cold here.  "Showers" forecast have become an extended period of heavy rain.  Thankfully I am not required to attend the Palace today; the only requirements are to produce bacon and eggs for two at a reasonable morning hour and to attend the supermarket at some later time for some essentials.  

Congratulations to Pete and Mrs Pete on their wedding anniversary. 

Serious attempt at catching up abandoned - I shall do my best to maintain a more regular overview henceforth.  

Nine 4am starts in a row beckon.  I was late out of bed so have to retire early tonight to make up for it ;)

• Like 8

Mornin' all,

Happy anniversary Pete

Overcast, showery and warm in The Moorlands for resumption of the constitutionals, this time the short clockwise due to lighter weekend traffic levels. A good number of Dorset seaside calories to burn so I'm hoping for a few dry starts over the coming days.

Church duties later

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Happy anniversary Pete and Mrs Pete. Hope you enjoy the future together!

Game was not particularly challenging yesterday but a 14 year old spinner was turning it square on a new track. Transpires its to be used in a cup match today and the home team has 3 good spinners.....I will leave it to you to see the link.

Off to umpire York's U15s today but it is currently raining. Her indoors is coming along as scorer.

Enjoy Sunday!

Commiserations to mickb! CP can talk, a lot.

Baz

• Like 14

No e-mail this morning.

"No reported problems"

After extensive research on BT's site, I've discovered a fault nearby which they intend to fix by 14/07/15.

As I've foolishly become dependent on e-mail for a variety of purposes - including notifications from here and elsewhere - I will take a day off normal life tomorrow.

UPDATE: Now fixed.

I think I'm dealing with Pooh Corner.

Edited by DDolfelin
  • Like 14

Maybe someone could help with a rather strange question. 

When I was very young, possibly the late fifties, I was with my parents in either Rochester or Chatham, Kent. In my mind I was standing at the top of a street lined with houses and it was the steepest hill I had seen.

Now my memory is undoubtedly influenced by having this jammed into my brain at a very formative stage but I seemed to recall that it would have been difficult to walk up.

My question is this: Is there an element of truth in my memory or is it completely off whack? Anyone au fait with the area?

Thanks, Pete.

Morning all.

Like Dick, struggling to catch up, so generic salutations etc.

The family all asked me yesterday if my right eye was ok as it was rather red. Fine, said I.

Woke up this morning and gave myself a bit of a fright as I looked in the bathroom mirror to discover the entire white area of my right eye has turned blood red.

As it's not Halloween yet, a quick Google tells me that I've somehow given myself a subconjunctival haemorrhage. Painless, harmless and self-healing, but I shall be scaring small children for up to a fortnight.

In other news... there isn't any.

Enjoy the tail-end of your weekend.

Edited to add: Symathy to Alan and congrats to Pete.

Pete, never mind bl66dy google, get yourself to eye A and E and get it checked properly please.

Ed

Football - a game for gentlemen played by hooligans.

Rugby - a game for hooligans played by gentlemen.

A variation on this that I was told by the sadly deceased gentleman who got me into rugby coaching & refereeing:

Football - a game for gentlemen played by hooligans.

Rugby - a game for hooligans played by gentlemen.

Rugby league - a game for hooligans played by hooligans.

Morning all - overcast & dull here today, so more hedge trimming beckons

• Like 13

When I was very young, possibly the late fifties, I was with my parents in either Rochester or Chatham, Kent. In my mind I was standing at the top of a street lined with houses and it was the steepest hill I had seen.

Now my memory is undoubtedly influenced by having this jammed into my brain at a very formative stage but I seemed to recall that it would have been difficult to walk up.

My question is this: Is there an element of truth in my memory or is it completely off whack? Anyone au fait with the area?

Thanks, Pete.

There are some pretty steep hills in Chatham Pete, but I think your childhood memory may be exaggerating a little. Mind you, ISTR you hail from Essex which is not known for steep hills.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

ISTR you hail from Essex which is not known for steep hills.

Ed

I'm sure Jock would agree it's a decent climb up from the beach to the road at Clacton pier ;)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Pete.

Pete, I myself don't no exactly where but several years ago I went to the Chatham show taking four other club members with me. As a favour for one of my passengers I made a small detour after the show to deliver an item to a friend of his. His friend lived in a street of Victorian terrace houses which was rather steep, each house was 'stepped'. This was not far from Chatham so nothing wrong with your memory.

• RMweb Premium

There are some pretty steep hills in Chatham Pete, but I think your childhood memory may be exaggerating a little. Mind you, ISTR you hail from Essex which is not known for steep hills.

Ed

I'm sure Jock would agree it's a decent climb up from the beach to the road at Clacton pier ;)

Agreed. Essex and the majority of East Anglia is so flat, climbing up a kerb is akin to mountaineering and oxygen is often required.

You want to come to (north) Estuary-Land. There are plenty of steep hills in this neck of the woods.

• RMweb Gold

You want to come to (north) Estuary-Land. There are plenty of steep hills in this neck of the woods.

The Olympic mountain biking event was held near here at Hadleigh Castle.

• Like 1

Good Morning Campers,

Finally, after having had a horrendous couple of weeks at > 35o C weather we have had some lovely weather in the 22 - 26oC Range. I swear my proteins were denaturing in the heat.

Interesting to note that there are still a lot of sceptics out there who scoff at global warming. What they do not seem to grasp is that GW results in significant changes in weather patterns, oceanic currents and polar ice levels, so the fact that people are experiencing atypically cold weather in July (i.e. abnormal weather) only underscores the fact that we are living through some significant climatic changes. Now whether or not you believe that mankind is responsible for these climatic changes is irrelevant, after all (I ask rhetorically) whether or not a forest fire was started by a lightening strike or a careless camper, does it make sense to throw petrol on the flames??? Trouble is, there is a lot of, how can I put it diplomatically?, "misconceptions" on both sides of the fence: especially amongst the "antis" who - it would seem - are afraid of incurring financial losses should we become more energy efficient (as an interesting aside, many "hard" science fiction authors have speculated that one of the concerns facing any civilisation which manages to create endless energy [whether by nuclear fusion or by direct matter to energy conversion] would be what to do with the waste heat).

My "go-it-alone" business venture has been temporarily put on hold, for a number of reasons (including, but not limited to, the most unhelpful and counterproductive attitudes of "the unemeployment authorities" [i'll explain one day]), I expect to "go live" in about 6 - 9 months. In the interim, I'll still be job hunting, as I must (although it is a widely recognised problem that job openings for the over 50s are as rare as hen's teeth [why hire an expensive and experienced person, when a company could hire an ambitious, cheap and easily disposable 28 year old?] but no-one - politicians or bureaucrats - seems able or willing to do anything about it).

Those of you who know me, know that I have synthetics knees (very much the case of the Million Farthing Man), alas I have to return to hospital for some maintenance work. Basically, the surgeon will open my right knee, expose the patella, flip it, shave off the damaged anterior face and insert a hight tech smooth surface, flip the patella back to normal and sew me up. Forty-five minutes in surgery, 3 - 5 days in hospital and no PT or rehab afterwards. The same surgeon that did the originall bilateral protheses will also be doing the patella. What fun, but at least I'll get to enjoy some serious drugs :devil:

Finally, I have made some good progress with Jamie's yard office, it really is starting to come together (although I still have a long way to go), pictures to follow soon.

Enough waffling from me. Mrs iD has picked several kilos of cherries in a friend's orchard and I have jam to make, cherry brandy and cherry vodka to prepare for infusion and a clafouti to make.

Have a good one

iD

p.s. Happy anniversary Pete

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 1

Pete, never mind bl66dy google, get yourself to eye A and E and get it checked properly please.

Ed

Absolutely, chances are that it probably could be a subconjunctival haemorrhage, but it could be symptomatic of something else. A layperson is usually very, very bad at differential diagnosis and no matter how useful Google is for acquiring background info, it doen't replace clinical expertise (differential diagnosis, the ability to correctly assess the underlying cause of the symtomatology. e.g. whether - say - fatigue is due to diabetes, anemia, cancer or kidney disease [to name but a few causes])

It may be a P.I.A. to get to A&E, but ultimately I believe it is worth the trip

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Cool, breezy and damp out. It has recently ceased raining.

We had a pleasant afternoon sitting in the garden chatting with Matthew's friend.

I then had to clear a blocked drain. Fortunately it was a kitchen one not a lavatorial type. Seems OK now.

Matthew had the online version of hustings yesterday for the election to the European Geography thingy he is standing in. It was text only not video or audio fortunately as Robbie had a bark at a car that parked outside the house! Matthew thought it went well. The other candidate had trickier questions as they concerned questions about how she was going to fit the post in with full time work and study, visa requirements, and fluency in English.

Tony

• Like 7

The family all asked me yesterday if my right eye was ok as it was rather red. Fine, said I.

Woke up this morning and gave myself a bit of a fright as I looked in the bathroom mirror to discover the entire white area of my right eye has turned blood red.

As it's not Halloween yet, a quick Google tells me that I've somehow given myself a subconjunctival haemorrhage. Painless, harmless and self-healing, but I shall be scaring small children for up to a fortnight.

I had that in both eyes, but I couldn't see. Apparently I became allergic to my own protein on my contact lenses... Ended up patched for a week. Scared my class rigid. My kids thought it was a bit funny.

Late on parade this morning. After the last few days I decided to set the alarm a bit later. It didn't really work as I woke up at the normal time and then dozed.

A few things to do today before sorting myself out for a 3 day course starting tomorrow.

Pete (trisonic)- Happy Anniversary

Pete 75C - I have to agree with others about getting the eye seen to. There are many potential reasons

Have a good day everyone

• Like 10

Morning all from a cool and damp boring borough. Rain came, rain went, soggy remains.

Pete 75c, get that eye seen to asap. Step MiL had something similar recently and it ended up being re-diagnosed as caused by a mini stroke.

Full English breakfast under the patio awning. (love that thing) Now half a day of work because the <insert obscene words here> that are running the project couldn't manage to take a sh!t with out rewriting the project plan 14 times. I took a look at the project's status reports the other day. The stats show we've spent more time on gathering metrics and reporting than actual development and testing. Agile my arse. Just another way of keeping the useless third of humanity employed in non-jobs.

Other than that, everyone have a great Sunday.

Peace, love, and gravy.

addendum: Sorry Bill I totally missed your exhibition last week. Didn't spot the post until an hour after it had closed. :(

Edited by AndrewC

• RMweb Gold

Happy anniversary Pete.

Back at Amberley this morning. Can only get a signal outside so typing this as it's starting to rain. At least the rain drops will clean the tablets screen.

A few more photos to post on the Bourne Valley layoit post later.

• Like 7

Thanks, Pete.

Bit of a long shot - and maybe not as steep as you remember.... Hamond Hill, Chatham?

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Happy anniversary Mr & Mrs Pete.

All this talk about the weather is interesting - we seem to be having an atypical British summer with a distinct shortage of rain, last night's forecast deluge was something of a dampish squib while the forecast moves the heavy rain forever forwards.  So yes iD - definitely something 'interesting' weather patterns about and probably rather more so than El Nino could account for and perhaps far more likely to be linked to generally rising ocean temperatures.

Now does any body know how to 'fix' a misbehaving kindle where pages keep dropping out, please?  Herself is having considerable non-fun with hers this morning and it definitely seems to be down to the machine rather than the router as it is also doing it with downloaded books.

Have a good day one & all