The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit dull and overcast this morning but the forecasters say its going to brighten up this afternoon. Another phishing attempt arrived in my spam file this morning and like the previous attempt was binned but not until I had reported to the internet fraud people. Birthday wishes to Mrs. Gwiwer and many more of them. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 13

Are you running a hotel? There's only the two of us here and despite all our NAS storage, phones, tablets, PCs, video/audio streaming wotsits we don't seem to be able to come close to saturating a single router.

Here, there's only me here! There is a deep reason for four separate hubs however (each with a wireless access point); I play with networking and their interaction. There's even three RJ45 sockets in the back garden (for when I get around to the G Scale railway)

• RMweb Gold

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen GDB posting here for a while either! :O  There's a few more (ir)regulars MIA too :(

GDB is on a cruise with his Bossness  :girldevil: , he should be back next week. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather damp village, Fraggle rock seems to have sent us their liquid sunshine.   Yesterday went well and lots of railway related items got done.   This morning was the monthly Men's breakfast at church so a large breakfast was consumed and no doubt some eyelid inspection might ensue.   I'll be back up there after lunch to help the boss run an afternoon tea shop.  Apparently I'm responsible enough to do the washing up and but the tables away.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 15

This is not a regular ERs post because I promised not to post today.  However ...

According to the RCTS South Wales branch there is a plan cooked up by two universities to harness the power from the batteries of electric cars parked at stations for railway electrification.  Hmmm ....

Back on Monday

Chris, on 1st April 

If I remember rightly that proposal went in a few months ago under Innovate's Smart Infrastructure theme and got funded. 

I believe the concept was to use energy generated in one system (electric road vehicles) to help meet peak power demand in another system (rail network).

I'm putting in another proposal on the Smart Health & Whacky Transport theme.....

Obesity is a real problem and sitting on the 7:15 to Waterloo each day and back is not going to help.

So, my solution will be to insert pedals on each seat to help propel the train - henceforth known as a Pedalino. The harder you pedal the faster you get to work and back home. This will be known as "The Arrival of the Fittest". 

The rail companies will provide the energy to get the train moving and stop it, whilst the commuters will provide the energy to maintain speed. Sweat from the commuters will be collected and used to flush the toilets.

The benefits to the nation will be a fitter, leaner workforce, less reliant on the NHS and reducing the crisis there. 

The environment will benefit as less electricity generation will be needed. 

To fuel the passengers we'll need to grow more cereal. Hence houses will need to make way for fields. This in turn will mean that the commuter belt will be pushed further from large conurbations due to the demand for food, whilst commuters' belts will also be tightened due to the slimming effect. 

Many people will find this proposal too mind-blowing so will choose to work from home, de-congesting the cities.

Over time more people will notice that their neighbours working at home are happier and will emulate them. In time these folk will notice that they are working with people they live near, rather than taking 3 hours out of their lives each day to go and work with each other in an urban hellhole. This kind of clustering will be known as a local community and these will spring up and thrive all over the place.  

£5 says I could get this one through the funding process.   

Professor Dis. Ruptive. 

Department of Thinking Hard till it 'urts.

University of Barkingmad. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

If I remember rightly that proposal went in a few months ago under Innovate's Smart Infrastructure theme and got funded. 

I believe the concept was to use energy generated in one system (electric road vehicles) to help meet peak power demand in another system (rail network).

I'm putting in another proposal on the Smart Health & Whacky Transport theme.....

Obesity is a real problem and sitting on the 7:15 to Waterloo each day and back is not going to help.

So, my solution will be to insert pedals on each seat to help propel the train - henceforth known as a Pedalino. The harder you pedal the faster you get to work and back home. This will be known as "The Arrival of the Fittest". 

The rail companies will provide the energy to get the train moving and stop it, whilst the commuters will provide the energy to maintain speed. Sweat from the commuters will be collected and used to flush the toilets.

The benefits to the nation will be a fitter, leaner workforce, less reliant on the NHS and reducing the crisis there. 

To fuel the passengers we'll need to grow more cereal. Hence houses will need to make way for fields. This in turn will mean that the commuter belt will be pushed further from large conurbations due to the demand for food, whilst commuters' belts will also be tightened due to the slimming effect. 

Many people will find this proposal too mind-blowing so will choose to work from home, de-congesting the cities.

Over time more people will notice that their neighbours working at home are happier and will emulate them. In time these folk will notice that they are working with people they live near, rather than taking 3 hours out of their lives each day to go and work with each other in an urban hellhole. This kind of clustering will be known as a local community and these will spring up and thrive all over the place.  

Professor Dis. Ruptive. 

It sounds as good as the idea we came up with when I was a regular winter volunteer on Laal Ratty.  We always had pie and mushy peas for lunch and the atmosphere in the mess van could get a little aromatic.   We tried to devise a way of harnessing all the naturally produced methane to power the diesel.   The main problem was getting the firing  order right.

Jamie

• Like 1

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit dull and overcast this morning but the forecasters say its going to brighten up this afternoon. Another phishing attempt arrived in my spam file this morning and like the previous attempt was binned but not until I had reported to the internet fraud people. Birthday wishes to Mrs. Gwiwer and many more of them. Thats it for now, be back later.

I had an apparently attractive Russian lady email me this morning. She wanted a photo of me and had sent me an attachment. I never got to find out if it was a naked photo of her as I had accidentally dropped it into the bin.

• Like 2

Apparently we are going out with Robbie "now, before it rains" . Robbie doesn't care whether it rains or not, however I suspect Aditi does!

Tony

Can Aditi not go out with Robbie before it rains whilst you fossick around at home?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Can Aditi not go out with Robbie before it rains whilst you fossick around at home?

Almost certainly. However she claims that she likes going with me. I have had to promise not to go in the loft unless she is at home in case a rescue is required! I have noticed that all the roof structures seem to be more difficult to clamber over or through than they used to be.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone

As it's weekend we had a bit of a lie in this morning as we were both tired. What with yesterday's visit and the fact that I've clocked up over 600 miles this week and Sheila has been feeling unwell most of the week, I suppose it's taken it's toll.

I had every intention of getting the grass cut today, but it was raining, so that put paid to that idea. Instead I went to the workshop and continued tidying and cleaning up the place. It's amazing what you can find when you have a bit of a tidy up isn't it? The place is looking a lot leaner and tidier and I've also decided to finally get round to altering the bench that my pillar drill is on. This will give me a couple of extra inches of floor space, as well as some more bench space too!

Typically as soon I packed up and came inside just before tea, the sun came out!

It's now time to ring up for our first weekend of the month takeaway.

Birthday greetings to Mrs Gwiwer.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

Another poor night's sleep of about 4.5 hours.

I awoke with a sore throat after all that talking last night, it's eased off a bit now.

First the second ring main was extended with two more double sockets. The

The most difficult job was going through the two shed walls and getting the alignment right. It will stay a a radial for a while until we fit out the tin shed and then complete the loop.

Then while SWMBO was clearing a big pile of rat damaged cardboard boxes, rescuing contents where possible and binning rat damaged rolls of wallpaper. I fitted two more florescent lights, for the first I've had a failed one, I'll strip it later to find out what's wrong.

After a sarnie and coffee , it was full PPE time and spraying about 50 cladding planks with anti woodworm treatment. They are stacked on the future fiddle yard, to dry and in future be painted light blue one side for the ceiling.

Then a half hour was spent repairing the landrover roof console, when the glue has dried tomorrow the radio will be refitted.

After a tidy up , a can of cider was consumed, while sitting in the sun.

This evening will be spent relaxing, thinking of what work to do tomorrow, and what to do with the layout I've inherited. It's n gauge and currently 12ft by 2ft, My inclination is restore it and use it as an exhibition layout. As N gauge is somewhat more portable than my EM gauge layout I'm building.

Home made apple and blackberry pudding eaten, time to recover some missing sleep.

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Don, yes, 32 miles by 12 leaves a long days driving out of the question, however there are a lot of minor roads here, we can make an end-to-end run last 70 miles.  We found Wight (and Jersey) to feel rather cramped in comparison. 

Manxies though, consider the 21 miles from the Big City of Douglas to Andreas here Down North to be a once a year big trip!  It's 'down north' as you have to go up the mountain and back down to get here.  Scary stuff..... :jester:   We still manage to drive 10k miles a year, plus the bike leisure mileage.

Lawn mowing - the petrol mower will be withdrawn from service, kept in store until I get fed up and give it away.  The lighter battery job is so much better on our nearly-always wet lawns.  The ground is very wet here and lawn mowing has always been something to sneak in whenever the conditions allow - not any more.  Mrs H did a good job of them yesterday, even after it rained all morning.  The mere fact that Mrs H mowed the lawns is incredible progress.....I wonder if it will last after I'm back on my feet..... :no:  :no:  :no:

The big trip on Wight is to go round the edge (or as near as) start at Ryde along to East Cowes then down to Newport up to Cowes across to Yarmouth down to Freshwater along the Military road to Ventnor then up through Shanklin,Sandown and Brading then out to Bembridge and St Helens up through Seaview to Ryde again about 65 miles I think. You ought to know the Military Road it is particularly favoured by Bikers. For even a large lawn the Bosch Electric mower we have was brilliant but a lot bigger sloping lawn area of rough grass would have knackered me just pushing it. The one I choose is self propelled and has a 197cc engine, the same size as a tiger cub not as fast though!

Don

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Professor Dis. Ruptive. 

Many a true word spoken in jest  :nono:  :nono:  :jester:  

I won't say which words might be true

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Been AWOL for about three days, and have had to skip a few pages, and have tried to rate posts here and there, and on a few other threads.  Time is certainly not on my side at the moment.  So I just hope that all is well with everybody.

Not a great deal to report from here, so I will just push on with walking Lily.

Back again when time permits.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

No liquid sunshine here, Jamie - it's glorious!

Don, we went for lunch at Bar 6-5, the flying club bar/restaurant at Ronaldsway, managed 100 mile round trip!

Debs won't use our Honda petrol mower, she hates it so the Bosch is a Very Good Idea!  Impressed with its performance, unlike a Tiger Cub......it doesn't rain conrods either!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

One for Didcot afficiondos - apparently it's the most normal town in England.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/englands-most-normal-town-didcot-oxfordshire-a7654506.html

It must have changed dramatically since her indoors and myself left. I take it that a certain Formula 1 team no longer chuck pool/snooker balls at each other in a pub next to the library any more? Do the GWS C&W team still drink in the Prince of Wales of a lunchtime???

Baz

• Like 8