The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Nice tale Dave, shows how operational common sense can resolve bureaucratic nightmares if there is a will! Macron’s predecessors may have had kittens but would they have ordered the shooting down of a NATO ally? In some ways, I suppose they may have, given the assistance France gave Argentina 37 years ago.

• Like 11
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I think Microsoft is now infested with teenagers...……………………...or we are getting old

I'm working on this at the moment - and an increasingly small amount text manipulation is tested. It's all about bells and whistles.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Nice music John. I will get her indoors to have a listen as whe has some of the instruments along with Shawms, Crumhorns, Genshorns and others..

Baz

Ps fighting with Android App and the Beast. Currently 2 nil to the Beast:(

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Dave 

When they left wittering (to be replaced by Hunters and the Harrier Conversion unit plus 1 Squadron) the Victor's did a squadron scramble apart from the CO. He took off last and barrel rolled it just past the A1? My favourite V and so much more versatile than the Vulcan

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, chrisf said:

.................my Pride boots have arrived from Doc Martens. ...................

I had a pair of Doc Martens work shoes in the 1960s. They suited me as I have quite broad feet and they comfortable. Around 1972 whilst they were still classed as work footwear I bought a pair of boots which I used for walking for about 15 years. They were the most comfortable boots I ever had and ended up as gardening boots for another five years.

It must have been around the 1980s I bought a pair of their Chelsea style for casual use. I still have a pair of the traditional style bought about 20 years ago when we moved to the Peak District which I have kept for inclement weather wear and they are still in excellent condition.  

In the 1990s when it was a fashion for teenage girls to wear them I bought my daughter a yellow pair which she customised.  They all used to paint things like flowers or coloured patterns on them.  Probably the forerunners of today's Pride Boots.

• Like 18

My Granddaughter aged almost 16yrs wears nothing but her 'Doc' ON HER FEET except for school where any type of byuts are not allowed.

On one of our Saturday jaunts I once  asked if she had any proper shoes. . . . . Only my school shoes was the reply.

Of course,  at one time, in my yoof . . when my hair was down me back instead of the plug'ole, the acceptable attire to accompany DM's was

straight-legged Levi jeans worn at half mast with the bottoms turned up

Grandad vest

Braces holding your jeans up 

and a proper suede-head haircut.

Oh . . don't  forget the football scarf of your choice.

I kept my hair long until it started falling out half way through me 40's

I thought I'd better put the edit in !!!

John

Edited by Two_sugars
  • Like 15
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Wittering, Dad talks fondly of it.. But I only spent a week there on a course, triple bunks fitted in a 16 man room, so 48 men.. heaving it was, not pleasant..

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

I tend to wear lightweight walking boots that are waterproof and made with Goretex and other similar products. I have worn a German brand called Meindl over recent years and they require very little breaking in when replaced. They don’t seem t be available at the local boot store now. The ones I have now seem fine but I may replace them before we go away in August. As for proper leather boots I once had a pair of Spanish Airforce surplus flying boots when I first had a motorbike in the early 1970s. Purchased from the classified ads in Motorcycle News. They were not comfortable to walk in especially when pushing a broken down bike. 

Tony

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Wittering

Reminds me of the physics teacher at school.

”You boys, stop your wittering”. (In Black Country accent). 

• Like 14
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Surely 'St. Trinnians', or more correctly St. Trinnian would be a GWR Saint class? I spent a comfortable night waking up at half past five, I decided to have a short nap before getting up, two and a half hours later...... Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Surely 'St. Trinnians', or more correctly St. Trinnian would be a GWR Saint class? I spent a comfortable night waking up at half past five, I decided to have a short nap before getting up, two and a half hours later...... Thats it for now, be back later.

Yep, 2956 I would think, named St Trinnian Court? Could GWS revert another Hall?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Greetings all from LBG where the sun has started to hide behind clouds.

Not too much to report here, the countdown to the day Spreadsheet King leaves continues. I am busy trying to learn how the macros he's built in work, so that I can hand them over to his successor, once said successor has been recruited. Half of them are superfluous, but the spreadsheets have been designed  in such a way that removing  them creates even more problems.

The countdown is also on to our grand depart on holiday to the North West of the US. But there are still three weeks of school to get through for the other Lurkers.

We drive past Wittering on our way up north to the in-laws. The stop Wittering joke gets wheeled out every time. Mind you, we also see signs for Trumpington and that joke gets wheeled out too.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Nice music John. I will get her indoors to have a listen as whe has some of the instruments along with Shawms, Crumhorns, Genshorns and others..

Members of Blondel are also part of various Waits groups - York Waits in particular. One of the group's partners also makes shawms and similar instruments,

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, petethemole said:

I definitely envisage St. Trinian as a Saint class.  I'm sure it has been modelled as such and as a Schools.  There must have been a "real" Saint acknowledged by the medieval Church, even if only locally, as there is a St Trinian's church on the Isle of Man:  https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/St+Trinian's+Church/@54.190215,-4.579883,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipPW4yd2m-RiuwO1T61kTyuSei-La_oYNDaVLP83!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipPW4yd2m-RiuwO1T61kTyuSei-La_oYNDaVLP83%3Dw114-h86-k-no!7i4032!8i3024!4m5!3m4!1s0x48639034eb3b97d3:0x879613ed0321f5f5!8m2!3d54.1902145!4d-4.5798826

NHNeil hasn't been able to stop the local lead thieves I see.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Last of the marathon washing done and four pairs of jeans on the dryer. Now to sort out a few bits for the sales stand at our exhibition this coming weekend.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 11