The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, 

Here about as east as you can get, it has been as hot today as yesterday, though slightly  breezier. 

Mast raising,  that went well,  though the mast weighs only 18lbs without fittings, at 23ft long,  waving it around vertically in the wind,  is interesting..  I then temporarily hung the boom on, and stood back..  It looks right,  it looks like the mast and boom were designed for the job,  from that point of view I'm a happy bunny. 

Now being able to see it in place,  it was easier to work out where things will go,  

The outhaul,  is OK and doesn't need changing, 

The kicking strap boom mount will have to move forward.

The mainsheet Block will have to be immediately behind that. 

The main halyard and jib halyard bottom  exit,  need moving up just over 2ft to an alternative position provided on the mast. 

The control panel can be much smaller,  which is good for me to get in and out. 

The forestay is the correct length,  but the side stays need shortening by about 6 inches. 

The mast cheeks fitted last week needed modifying this was done next.. 

Just after the mast was removed,  I was attacked by something flying which got tangled in my hair,  it then stung me.  So I retreated  to the house and found the stingeze. Bringing back with me a can of cider.. 

The dress panel was fitted,  trimmed, and then all the cockpit  nooks and crannies were filled.

I then decided to sit in the boat and to  confirm the above decisions.. 

And

The seat inside slipped as I stepped In,  I hadn't got it set right, I fell over the boat came off  it's supports, and we all ended up In a heap on our sides. After extracting myself I decided it was cider and sarni o'clock. 

Luckily the lifting straps were still under the boat, so I got the crane sorted and lowered the hook then righted and lifted the boat 

I made several attempts to get the boat sat properly, getting nowhere fast,  sweat was pouring off of me, my heatbeat was racing so I retired to the house. 

After an eyelid inspection,  I returned to the boat,  and got it sat correctly first time.

A so after a sit in the boat,  I packed away and retired to a long bath.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

It's a lot easier to use a tame Hippo to block the doorway. If my late mother could survive swimming in a hippo infested Zambezi I'm sure I could cope and any errant flatulence would of course be blamed on the hippo.

Jamie

All I require is mud, cake and malt whisky, all in copious quantities.

You can have the flatulence for free

• Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Afternoon awl, 

Here about as east as you can get, it has been as hot today as yesterday, though slightly  breezier. 

Mast raising,  that went well,  though the mast weighs only 18lbs without fittings, at 23ft long,  waving it around vertically in the wind,  is interesting..  I then temporarily hung the boom on, and stood back..  It looks right,  it looks like the mast and boom were designed for the job,  from that point of view I'm a happy bunny. 

Now being able to see it in place,  it was easier to work out where things will go,  

The outhaul,  is OK and doesn't need changing, 

The kicking strap boom mount will have to move forward.

The mainsheet Block will have to be immediately behind that. 

The main halyard and jib halyard bottom  exit,  need moving up just over 2ft to an alternative position provided on the mast. 

The control panel can be much smaller,  which is good for me to get in and out. 

The forestay is the correct length,  but the side stays need shortening by about 6 inches. 

The mast cheeks fitted last week needed modifying this was done next.. 

Just after the mast was removed,  I was attacked by something flying which got tangled in my hair,  it then stung me.  So I retreated  to the house and found the stingeze. Bringing back with me a can of cider.. 

The dress panel was fitted,  trimmed, and then all the cockpit  nooks and crannies were filled.

I then decided to sit in the boat and to  confirm the above decisions.. 

And

The seat inside slipped as I stepped In,  I hadn't got it set right, I fell over the boat came off  it's supports, and we all ended up In a heap on our sides. After extracting myself I decided it was cider and sarni o'clock. 

Luckily the lifting straps were still under the boat, so I got the crane sorted and lowered the hook then righted and lifted the boat 

I made several attempts to get the boat sat properly, getting nowhere fast,  sweat was pouring off of me, my heatbeat was racing so I retired to the house. 

After an eyelid inspection,  I returned to the boat,  and got it sat correctly first time.

A so after a sit in the boat,  I packed away and retired to a long bath.. 

Are you sure that you're not related to GDB.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

No way is The Inner Temple Hare related to GDB!

That is a man who could probably drown himself in a saucer of milk,  which is why he has to wear a buoyancy aid in the shower.

Heaven forbid he ever went near a small sailing boat

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

17 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Today we had a 50th anniversary celebration for the couple across the street. They were 2 years ahead of me at university, but I never knew them.

I found that: I no longer fit in my grey pants; my navy blue pants are a different shade than my navy blue jacket; most people weren't dressed that much anyway.

Awhile back we had a young female relative visit who went shopping with my wife and I.  She was taken aback when I declared I was going to get some pants but we had to explain that pants are perfectly respectable in mixed company as its the American term for trousers.:scratchhead:  I've run into that problem back home before while shopping in Marks and Spencers although I think the term is understood by now.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Cleared my e-mails, its surprising how much they accumulate over five days. At least with my e-mails back I can get on with a few things. Time to put the kettle on, be back later. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

No way is The Inner Temple Hare related to GDB!

That is a man who could probably drown himself in a saucer of milk,  which is why he has to wear a buoyancy aid in the shower.

Heaven forbid he ever went near a small sailing boat

Just be careful with a saucer of milk.   I once had a PW on my shift who was rather reluctant to leave the station.   We got fed up with this so one morning when she was still writing reports at 10.00am I took a saucer of milk and placed it beside her.  She asked "What's that for Sarge" I replied " We thought that had you'd taken the place of the station cat".    Needless to say she was out of the door very quickly and surprised us all by coming back with a prisoner from a scuffle on a bus just outside.  Nowadays I'd have been sacked but it certainly worked with her.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9
  • Funny 9

2 hours ago, brianusa said:

Awhile back we had a young female relative visit who went shopping with my wife and I.  She was taken aback when I declared I was going to get some pants but we had to explain that pants are perfectly respectable in mixed company as its the American term for trousers.:scratchhead:  I've run into that problem back home before while shopping in Marks and Spencers although I think the term is understood by now.

Have you ever asked for a rubber in a US stationery shop?

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Despite there being rain forecast for today, it’s actually been quite sunny, but very breezy, although there were one or two occasions when I thought it was raining. However,  it’s been bright enough in the workshop to not need a light on and warm enough to be able to leave the door open and have the windows open too!

I actually got to do a bit of modelling today, but only after I’d given the workshop a bit of a tidy up, as my bench was looking a bit cluttered and the floor needed a good cleaning. Anyway, back to the modelling, today I removed the valve gear from Remembrance and put it in my ultrasonic cleaner, along with the many part of the loco body a gave both bits a good clean. Once the valve gear was dry, I then chemically blackened it and it looks a whole lot better now. So it’s been an enjoyable day in all. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, lightengine said:

Have you ever asked for a rubber in a US stationery shop?

No, but I did ask Nancy, our department's admin if she had one not long after I "got off the boat". She looked a bit flushed.

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Fellow I worked for took his new (Canadian) wife back to England. Talking about his sister, his mother said, "I hear she's getting a good screw."  His wife gave him the look -- You can explain that to me later.

• Like 5
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning All,

We have a cloudy morning here today, and there was a bit of rain overnight.  The upshot is that it is cooler at the moment, and the temperature is forecast to only reach 31°C today.

Yesterday we had 39°C!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Good morning one and all

This week is going to be a bit like the calm before the storm.  Today I must juggle with funds at the bank so that the bill for a holiday may be paid with due speed.  On Tuesday a railwayman who worked at Top Shed shares his experiences with the Bedford LCGB branch (be careful with those initials).  This means that I will be writing a report of his talk on Wednesday.  On Thursday evening I will be in London with 317 other people at a conference organised by the Independent on the subject of Pride in 2019, with Peter Tatchell as one of the panel members.  Finally, on Saturday I will be walking through Central London with thousands of other people.  The excitement may well mount between now and then.

I seem to have generated some interest in “Be The Man”, which must be a Good Thing.  Our late friend Purley Oaks wrote on 13th August last year: “And, Chrisf, Be The Man is a great song from a great album.  You’re a beacon!”  I don’t deserve that accolade, for I am ashamed to admit that it had already been out a year before I came across it.  I am usually a lot quicker than that to latch on to new music.  What is important is that it becomes more widely known, however late in the day.

JohnDMJ, no rail route across Europe is foolproof.  The outward route via Paris came to grief last Christmas when our Eurostar arrived at Paris Gare du Nord 90 minutes late.  Our gang of four dutifully got our tickets endorsed by the train manager but we still had to resort to a bit of bluffing and blagging to continue our jorney.  Sadly some travellers have no inclination to become familiar with what they are doing or even to try something new, which to me defeats the object.  The only way is to do it!  Despite the execrable performance of Deutsche Bahn last year we are going via Germany yet again.  Now that we have a new administratrix-general at the travel company we owe it to her to submit as full a set of feedback after the tour as possible.  How to persuade her and the company that going via Paris really isn't difficult?  Hmmmm ...

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Coolish morning here but no rain scheduled so we should, hopefully, see a non interrupted cricket match at the Riverside today. This will be my first visit to the home of Durham CCC. It is all thanks to Purley Gates (Mal) and Gabe his widow.   I shall toast his memory on my return home tonight.

Enjoy your day whatever you do.

Time to get the Beast ready to go.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spullchkcr
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

blood was not involved so I don't think so...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5