The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Just off to breakfast. We leave the hotel at 11.20, flight departs a couple of hours  later. We have to retrieve the car from the hotel at Gatwick but should be home late afternoon. The hotel was very nice.  The staff seemed very friendly, most guests don’t stay a week, mainly US holidaymakers seeing Europe, so a couple of days for this part of Italy. 

Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TheQ said:

Whats this about white rabbits? I have no idea what people are on about..

Old English fertility wish expressed as first of month greeting ...

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s a bit dull, looks like it chuckitdarn any minute. Once Sheila has finished her breakfast and got herself ready for her Zumba class, I’m going to do the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix. This is a day early this week as tomorrow Ian is coming round to start the plastering in the cellar. Sheila wants me to be here whilst the work is being done, hence the Grand Prix being 24 hours ahead of it’s usual schedule. Once I’ve done the shopping and it’s been put away, I’ll make a start prepping the small cellar room for Ian tomorrow. There are no sockets to remove, but I do have to take down 6 light fittings and remove a couple of switches. As I’ll still need to use the cellar before Ian starts, I’ll leave the switches in and one light up and working, I’ll just get up early tomorrow morning to remove them, it won’t take long. 

Back later. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning in north Herts sees greyness rolling in from a westerly direction. If it includes a little thunder and lightening, it should stop play in the CowboysRUs patch where the seeds of scaffoldus erectus that were sown earlier are growing vigorously and so fast that they are making a lot of noise as they fight for space and light! I managed to watch the antics from Edgbaston without too many palpitations and the event in the Styrian Mountains that turned large areas orange.

Today will be spent on further administrative duties as defined by SWMBO, researching suitable eateries for the period on that Channel Island that is barely a mile from England’s south coast and also trying to locate a small metal fabricator who can make the required reducing bush for the sacrificial anode in daughter’s hot water system. A brief visit to a food store will be required so we don’t starve before we leave :D:D:D. Her ladyship is having her toenails repainted and no, I shall not be posting a picture of the finished job on the Modern Classics thread.

May peace be with you, it certainly isn’t with me from our neighbouring building site and may those with trials, tribulations and less comfortable than this grumpy old git have a better day too.

Edited by Kingzance
Typos
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Overslept a bit this morning but (almost) caught up now. Now that I have e-mail back I can get on to my energy supplier about the not so smart gas meter that still isn't working. Also they have yet to bill me for the last quarter. As I can now access the necessary telephone numbers I will be getting in touch asap. Now to drink that muggatee, be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

I'm all for KZ's proposal of a "be kind to GDB Week.

I hereby do solemnly swear not to make any facetious comments about any injuries, however sustained, for 7 days from the posting of this notice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, BoD said:

I hereby do solemnly swear not to make any facetious comments about any injuries, however sustained, for 7 days from the posting of this notice.

who we going to pick on instead?:D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Through security at Malpensa. I sometimes wonder if the people making a fuss have never travelled by air before. The two Austrians in front of us made such a fuss about the pat down as they failed the metal detector. They kept shouting and trying to push through while a man was sent for to frisk them complaining their hand baggage was waiting. In some countries I suspect  they may have been Tasered. Terminal 2 at Milan Malpensa seems to be exclusively EasyJet. Aditi has left me at a cafe with a bottle of Cola Zero while she shops. 

Having travelled by air since the 1960's, I certainly feel no urge to continue these journeys. We actually don't need to be at airports 3 hours before flying as we could be screened at check-in and for those of us who do that online, there must be an easy solution. Another pet grouse (no, not the one from Wm Gloag & Sons) is when fellow travellers are allowed to carry on two big bags (that clearly exceed the baggage gauge) on short-haul flights. I'm sure some passengers would prefer not to have me in close proximity for a few hours, just as I find some of them a real pain in the a€se. Seats in the 60's were wider than today I'm sure!
When we popped over to Hamburg in May, there was a similar incident to that described by Tony happening with someone not wanting to be searched by a remarkably calm non-caucasian security operative. How sad that that woman couldn't understand that under the surface, we are all composed of the same elements and compounds (apologies for all the thats in that).

• Like 12
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Having travelled by air since the 1960's, I certainly feel no urge to continue these journeys. We actually don't need to be at airports 3 hours before flying as we could be screened at check-in and for those of us who do that online, there must be an easy solution. Another pet grouse (no, not the one from Wm Gloag & Sons) is when fellow travellers are allowed to carry on two big bags (that clearly exceed the baggage gauge) on short-haul flights. I'm sure some passengers would prefer not to have me in close proximity for a few hours, just as I find some of them a real pain in the a€se. Seats in the 60's were wider than today I'm sure!
When we popped over to Hamburg in May, there was a similar incident to that described by Tony happening with someone not wanting to be searched by a remarkably calm non-caucasian security operative. How sad that that woman couldn't understand that under the surface, we are all composed of the same elements and compounds (apologies for all the thats in that).

If someone does not want to be searched, the solution is simple enough. They don't fly. Although that could cause problems if they have hold luggage.

I find most of the airport security frustrating simply because it is mostly done just for show. It would not be difficult to get around it. And I feel particularly narked when they remove sharp items from my hand baggage that I can buy at the Boots' in the departure lounge.

• Like 7
  • Agree 8

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Through security at Malpensa. I sometimes wonder if the people making a fuss have never travelled by air before. The two Austrians in front of us made such a fuss about the pat down as they failed the metal detector. They kept shouting and trying to push through while a man was sent for to frisk them complaining their hand baggage was waiting. In some countries I suspect  they may have been Tasered. Terminal 2 at Milan Malpensa seems to be exclusively EasyJet. Aditi has left me at a cafe with a bottle of Cola Zero while she shops. 

Remember Malpensa in the early 80s. Though not with affection

• Like 7

Morning all.

Sunday was reasonably quiet, simply starting to pack carp belongings in my office, for the move. Late afternoon to Jemmas' for a nice dinner and our traditional July 4th viewing of 1776. Jemma is flying 3rd-4th, so we took the opportunity yesterday.

As mentioned in past years, whilst it may not be "for everyone", the film/play/musical is by all accounts VERY accurate as a portrayal of the process of writing the Declaration of Independence, and for my money well worth the viewing. It adds so great perspective and history to the process, I'd recommend it as a good bit of entertainment with some education thrown in for free :jester:

Today, work of course.

This evening our charity event committee meeting.

Tonight we "test" the meal that is being suggested from the caterers, to either put our stamp of approval, or change as necessary.

It's a free meal in any case :)

Severe storms late evening and overnight, fairly hissed it down.

19 and soaked outside getting the papier mache that USED TO BE my newspaper. Complaints suitably aired, which, as usual will be totally ignored. Even the "we'll send a replacement right out" hasn't materialized three hours later - barstewards :butcher::rtfm::triniti:

Heading for a high of 26 with storms off and on all day.

Enjoy the day.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

tell them that I couldn't work the machine and that Anne was my carer, we got taken through a priority channel straight out to the other side.

Took MiL and DiL to France from Bristol Airport last month. Insisting that MiL had a wheelchair for the airport made everything much easier. Great team at Bristol Airport and indeed at Montpellier. Can't say the same for Toulouse where the assistance is chaotic.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I popped round to see the lady who's husband had walked out she was p!ssed as a rat at 4 in the afternoon poor woman I check she was OK left my phone number and made a rapid exit. :rolleyes_mini:

Spoke to the vile thing and slammed the phone down on it I really don't think that thing can ever be polite just for once in her its life.  :beee_mini: :scare:

Off to the pub 2 viewing of the house tonight. :drink_mini:

Bob

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15