The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

HH, I couldn’t agree more with your assessment. Whenever you take the running of an entity away from the people who actually do the work (or have done the work) then it’s a recipe for disaster. Furthermore, as you rightly pointed out, the NHS was created NOT to cure all ills, but to get (and keep) people fit for work and military service (I think that most people don’t realise that the impetus behind the creation of the NHS was that during WWII the powers that be [of all parties] were horrified at how many were unfit for military duty or war work). One other observation: despite many “tweaks” over the years, you could argue that the general structure of the NHS remains faithful to its 1948 creation and what other entity in the UK is still following the post-war “Whitehall knows best” model?

Whilst I believe  that I would certainly disagree with Tigerburnie on many things, I certainly think that his experience of knowing the job and then managing from that experience is the way to go. Had both management and the unions been pragmatic, flexible and been willing to compromise and modernise (as the German unions and management were [and are]), perhaps the UK’s industrial decline would not have been as severe or as widespread (having said that, I think that it would still have been rough - given the emergence of low-cost/high-quality Chinese manufacturing). If I may be so bold (and controversial) perhaps there are too many in the workplace who have been “promoted beyond their station in life” (a rather damning Edwardian era comment).

As for letting the accountants drive business decisions... let’s just say the mindset of the typical accountant (as splendid as many of them are) is probably not best suited for running a business.

iD

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I liked the school meals at secondary school. Generally better than food at home. Food at university was really good.

Food at the first infant school I went to had to be transportable from somewhere near Bristol to Clevedon so was usually quite robust! 

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And that's without getting in to the thorny subject of deciding the true cause of death. We know that the elderly, people with certain co-morbidities and the immunocomprised are particularly vulnerable, So the difficult question to answer would be: did John Smith die because the Coronavirus directly killed him, or did he die because the Coronavirus was a complicating comorbidity to his leukaemia which killed him...?

The heart of the question is the notion of "excess deaths". We will all die. Anyone whose death was accelerated by COVID-19 would be an excess death and it is reasonable to count them as a casualty of the disease.

"Underlying causes" include such things as heart disease and diabetes. While people seem to want to quibble over counting terminally ill cancer patients with a couple of months to live as COVID-19 "victims", someone with managed diabetes might easily live for decades yet if they succumb to COVID-19, they will be reported as having "underlying causes".

• Like 9
  • Agree 4