The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Evening all form a warm patio by the shed. only due to the chimnera burning the chopped logs nicely. not a lot of modelling done but some. I have been building myself a log store form left over timber when the shed was built. The garden is looking much tidier but annoyingly cant buy plants even online as our local garden centres have closed, not even doing online orders. Such a shame that with reasonable weather and so many people in their gardens that plants are going to be skipped. i know that with so many people dying there are much more urgent needs but sad there's now so much waste aswell. i must admit that I find most of the news from officials both here and across the pond to be just twisted truths and why waste so much resources sending every household a letter when we can all listen / watch the news in various formats. It just crates even more waste of vital resources and filling up our recycling bins.

Looking forward to the weekly clap for key workers. its the least we can do.

• Like 5
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Similarly household room names in 1960s - 1980s Australia.

• Lounge room - no parlours in Oz. Chairs were ubiquitously "lounge chairs". Whether they were couches/sofas, etc or individual seating. Never "Chesterfield"
  • Dining room, kitchen, bedrooms
  • Bathroom - tub, separate shower if you were lucky and hand basin
    • In my formative days, there was never a co-located "loo"* in the bathroom
  • Toilet aka "dunny", always indoors in homes I lived in, though Grandma** had an outside "thunder box" with the straw emptied by a brawny bloke who literally would jump the fence with the box of straw et ejecta on his shoulders.
  • Verandah (not porch) out front
    • A sheltered rear projection at the top of back steps (not stairs) might be called a "porch"
  • Patio out back
  • Deck out back
  • Garage whether a separate structure or under the house; "Car port" if a roofed, but un-walled structure was provided for the car.

* The term "Loo" was readily understood but not used, nor was "WC". My mother took care to teach me proper words. Others were available but were not encouraged.

** My paternal grandmother. My maternal grandmother was "Nan". My mother is "Nan" to my son.

Occasionally one might see a "study" or "office". In my formative days, terms like scullery, pantry, butler's pantry, basement, attic, loft, walk-in closet were the stuff of books. Any covered, built-in shelving was a cupboard - not a closet. Food was in a cupboard.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not a lot to report, still playing catch-up with Farcebook. Re-arranged the fridge so that the stuff with the earliest use by dates is at the front.

Neil, you'll have to show Donk how to wear a face mask properly.

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

You know, I've had the nagging feeling that we've been through something like this before. Then I found the photo evidence. How time flies, and how quickly people forget. Swine Flu, 2009. 

image.png.222f755d7cab4fe8732c91da42cfa1be.png

Poor old piglet.

• Like 3
  • Funny 14

11 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Down to me and two part timers now, and stress!

Still, we're all well thankfully, just folk are self isolating and I can't blame them - Mrs Lurker comes to mind immediately (Lurkia?) hopefully she is improving, and good wishes to anyone else ill or grieving.

We had a front room when I was a small kid, but it became a lounge over the years - presumably as the number of gold rings on Dad's uniform sleeve increased steadily to four.  Our titchy bungalow now has a lounge too, Mrs NHN coming from posher stock than I.  It's also at the back..... :wacko:  Of course having a waiting room in the garden helps.

20181224_163755.jpg.33f02d412aa459d51d2408729bc858bc.jpg

I retired from being office manager of our equivalent of a young offenders team at 55 as new management from one of the funding partners was very 'anti' to the team.  Now they are complaining about the increase of young offending.  Go figure.  Not hard to work out.  But they get away with it.....:mad_mini:

I did that job for 9 years, the longest I have ever been in a job!  6 years on and what I do in Trackshack is nothing like the job I started here to do with John, but things develop and change.  And change. And change.  This current situation may change that yet again, it is most concerning for so many in all businesses, never mind just selling glorified toys.

There must be a managerial equivalent to Sir George Bernard Shaw's idiomatic view that "those who can do; those who can't teach and (IIRC) those who can't teach teach teac...rs"?

I'm not thinking of the classics of mushroom or seagull styles of management either! :jester:

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Just so I don't feel left out. In my formative years in Australia, meals were known as:

• Breakfast aka brekkie
  • Lunch
  • an unnamed after-school snack at 3:30pm (this would only be afternoon tea if there were visitors and tea involved)
  • Tea (the main meal of the day at 6:00pm) 
  • Supper (a night time feed on random occasions when dad felt so inclined to prepare one)

In primary school the two breaks were called "little lunch" and (big) "lunch".

In Government service tea ladies with trolleys provided "morning tea" and "afternoon tea."

The midday meal was never dinner unless it was Sunday roast.

Today my routine is essentially brunch and dinner. Breakfast, lunch and dinner is the US norm.

Sounds familiar, Mike, although lunch back home tended to be the main meal.  Tea was just that, toast perhaps and cake but we usually had a substantial supper, sometimes a pasty!

Brian.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Simple solution to that is to pull the plug out of the wall! Sorry, I have a power cut.

Most phones would just switch over to 4G data if the router goes down. So would my iPad. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1