The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, bbishop said:

I'm working at LAS HQ until Sunday.  At least I won't have to wear a Tyvek suit. 

Bill

You could always see if Ann Summers has something to your taste Bill :sarcastichand:

Morning All 

Murky again.

This morning I was woken up by a "Hurt Van" with the two's going nothing on the bloody road at 6am perhaps the poor buqqer in the back must have been in a bad way.:snooks:

Gossiping with one of the neighbours yesterday I was told :crazy::spruceup:Barry & Yvonne are moving, I wonder if Joe Maplin has found a place for them. :biggrin_mini2:

Must get on SSS still to perform then lunch and would you believe more #*"%ing painting. stay safe .:superman:U.Rine-Taken:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

' morning all from red dragon land.

Raining!

Happy birthday, Mike.

27 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Good morning everyone 

snip

I also remember school milk in small bottles, like others milk and ink monitor was done by everyone in the class at some time or other so. Frozen milk placed next to or on top the classroom radiator and swapping empty bottles with those who didn’t like milk too. I didn’t mind school dinners, but I hated tapioca, sago, semolina and prunes, I still do!

Stay safe, enjoy the day, back later. 

I loved "school" milk and usually went for a second if there were any over, and was called upon to be monitor, with 41 in the class, about once every 8 weeks, I guess.  I loved school dinners, on the whole, and was always up for seconds but I, too, hated tapioca, sago, and semolina but loved the prunes and custard.  

On the menu: plus quite a few things on iD's list as well.

Dinner: sliced meat (lamb or beef, probably), lovely thin non-greasy sausages, ox liver, piece of pastry/suet pie, shepherds pie, stew...

Puddings: the 3 things I hate mentioned above, custard, pink custard, chocolate pudding with chocolate custard, prunes, cooked apple, square of jam pudding, rice pudding, jelly...

I don't think I had fish and chips for school dinner until I went to secondary school.

That is making me hungry and it is not lunchtime, yet.  Best go and catch up to distract the appetite!

Take care and keep safe.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

I must count myself very fortunate that, despite being well over normal retirement age, I was asked to stay on for various reasons. I really liked whatI did ... I can sympathise with those wanting to escape, I've had one particular job like that. But on the whole I've been very fortunate.

Apologies John - slightly modified couple of words on quoting - but I too have been that lucky with the one exception.

Can totally understand why this is not too often the case and have known a number of friends who have stayed in the job ' they pay me' so that they could support their families.

On the 'gill' the 1/3 pint - never had any problems and didn't drink tea until 16.  'Frog' spawn etc. horrible stuff.and couldn't eat it.  One day in nursery , last to 'finish' because I could not eat it before getting a stoke of luck because the observer left (in retrospect probably to go to the 'toilet') so quickly tipped the 'frog-spawn out through the gap in the damaged window and ran out ...

That has just triggered the memory of Great Ormond Street Hospital - walking to the end of the dusty wooden floor above ground level where there were bits of wood and wire - there was no wall and a drop down into the street.   In the street going back to the 'tube' someone playing one of those barrel organs ... other memories of people walking along war damaged streets singing with cap in hand.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

I asked people to work rather than try to push people, I took my share of the dirty jobs, putting on my overalls and seemed to earn their trust and respect. It's not rocket science to get the best out of folk and try get all pulling together and actually enjoying their work, but it does seem that most employers prefer to behave like dictators.

This is a little known technique which I have advocated and practiced for years.

It's called 'Management by Stealth'.

• Like 12
  • Agree 3