The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Bright sunshine earlier has now been replaced by greyness and the wind is picking up.

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

In real life they were usually located on the lowest boundary of each town which usually meant next to the council estates and just upwind of the neighboring towns posh area. Bradford's is nicely upwind of Rawdon and Guisely.

Jamie

4 hours ago, BoD said:

And this country's prevailing wind explains why, quite often the 'west end' of towns and cities is the posh end the 'east end' is somewhat poorer and industrial.

Just though I would throw that one in for free.

That brings to mind a former MP we had. The Parlimentary seat had become a very marginal marginal. A year or so before the election he had managed to get nomination for a safe seat 10 miles due east, in fact one of the safest seats for his party in the country. That was the last we saw of him until after the election he even described himself as prospective MP for S******* ***t his new seat ignoring the fact that he was still our MP. Shortly after the election a proposal was made to build a waste destructor on the eastern edge of the constituency. There was considerable objection to this including from our new MP. There was a public enquiry called and who turned up but our former MP fully supporting the building of the destructor even standing up and speaking in favour of it. The next speaker was one of the engineers who explained that given the height of the chimney (100 feet plus) the smoke and dust. would come to ground some distance away. Then a member of the audience got up and asked how far would it carry, the answer was about 10 miles. The questioner then said "Given the prevailing winds the smoke and dust would come down in W********e" The engineer agreed. W********e just happened to be the poshest part of the MP's new constituency! His face was a picture. The waste destructor was never built in the end, a change of policy nationwide to recycling made it unneccessary.

• Like 8
  • Funny 9

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Strangely enough, whilst I could happily observe an autopsy and then go lunch immediately thereafter, or chat with a surgeon who was elbow deep in a patient’s abdomen, I really can’t watch these things on film/TV/YouTube. It’s either live or not at all...

Curious, really.

Agree totally.  I can deal with any amount of blood and gore in real life - but not on the TV!  Bill

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Unfortunately the military/medical services/police/fire brigade and others will always find some way of making a joke out of a disaster. This dark humour is, I suspect, what is referred to in psycho-babble, as 'a coping mechanism'.

And how! A lady friend of mine shared a flat with medics during her student days. I found their "humour" very difficult to live with.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Only in America!  .....

There have been smaller-scale protests here.  Fines were issued and one person arrested in London over the weekend.  A mix of civil libertarians, "covid unbelievers" and conspiracy theorists.  

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

13 hours ago, Barry O said:

Cats like me..I can take them or leave them. I would like to have a dog but until I stop umpiring (which may be sooner rather than later) I won't get one.

10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

You can just imagine it.

The kitchen door opens, and Baz dressed in full cricket regalia  points to the shed at the bottom of the garden, just visible through the drizzle:

'Out!'

Which makes me think of the 'bush' poem, "How McDougal Topped the Score" (Thomas E  Spencer).

Now, M’Dougal was a Scotchman, and a canny one at that,
So he started in to practise with a pailing for a bat.
He got Mrs Mac. to bowl him, but she couldn’t run at all,
So he trained is sheep-dog, Pincher, how to scout and fetch the ball.

This was covered in school. When a visiting reader of 'bush' poems (who somehow made a living reciting Banjo Patterson* et al) asked for requests one wag suggested "How McDougal Topped the Score". He almost lost his rhythm when the room erupted in laughter at the lines:

He held the bat the wrong side out, and Johnson with a grin
Stepped lightly to the bowling crease, and sent a “wobbler” in;
M’Dougal spooned it softly back, and Johnson waited there,

You see we had a teacher whose last name ended in "spoon", which was inevitably his nickname and used pejoratively. The wag who suggested this poem had done so quite deliberately and the teacher in question turned all kinds of red.

* I still enjoy "The Man from Ironbark" and "Clancy of the Overflow" as particular favourites. Read with the right metre (and accent) 'bush' poems can be quite entertaining.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

it has been a day and a half! Lots done, some success, some not quite successes. All in all a 4-1 win!  Great!

I notice that the BBC and the script writer for our "Leader" both think Covid is a "disease"  I feel so much safer than when it was a Virus!

Baz

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, Barry O said:

think Covid is a "disease"  I feel so much safer than when it was a Virus!

CoViD-19. It's all in the name.

Novel COrona VIrus Disease 2019

The virus is the organism. The disease is what it does to you.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ozexpatriate said:

CoViD-19. It's all in the name.

Novel COrona VIrus Disease 2019

The virus is the organism. The disease is what it does to you.

Sarcasm is dead......

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Sorry, online, it's often not obvious. I don't watch the BBC or (get to) listen to Boris.

Au contraire, we watch the BBC and try not to listen to the trumphead or his cronies!

Brian.

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:
4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

OUCH - too soon perhaps!??!?!?!  :jester:

Unfortunately the military/medical services/police/fire brigade and others will always find some way of making a joke out of a disaster. This dark humour is, I suspect, what is referred to in psycho-babble, as 'a coping mechanism'.

For the record, I found it hilarious, as did Jemma and an endless chain of her pilot friends who she passed it on to :)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, brianusa said:

I got lost when Corona was dropped!:fie:

Brian.

Waste of good indifferent fizzy beer dropping it. :jester:

• Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 11