The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

38 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

No idea about guns, but that bow the Mrs has scares me!  The sound when the arrows hit the boss makes you realise how much energy there is in them.

Likewise, I know nothing about guns, but did used to do archery at school many years ago.  The school collection of bows included a couple that required a good deal of strength to fully draw back.  The sound of the arrows hitting the target from these bows was quite different to the lesser power bows.  I also recall that some lads used to play a sort of archery chicken  game by firing the arrow vertically up and then just standing there until it landed again!

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I have now ;)

There are bound to be oddities, idiosyncrasies and the plain daft.  One rule will never fit all situations.  Just as is the case with the number of day visitors to Carlisle from villages just north of the Scottish border who are driving to their nearest (by a significant margin) city for shopping and other legitimate business.  But going back over the border they now stand to fall foul of the differing rules between the nations unless they can satisfy McPlod that they are not in breach of the more proscriptive Scots conditions.  

I wonder if we shall have border checks on "international" trains for the duration.  "Yes sir, you are ok to travel on this train but only as far as Berwick ..... "  or "This is the Chiltern train service from Aylesbury to London Marylebone.  Face coverings are strongly advised after Amersham where we enter TfL territory"  

The line between Chester and Shrewsbury crosses into and out of Wales.  Whose rules apply on Transport for Wales train services many of which run to, from or via England?  

As clarity has been received that there is no limit to distance one may travel in order to enjoy open spaces and places the keyboard warriors of Cornwall are up in arms in expectation of a mass invasion on Wednesday.  I don't see happening that myself.  There may be a small number of day visitors rising at the weekend if the forecast is better.  But with overnight stays not allowed the local constabulary will be out and about making checks.   It will take a while for people to calm down and accept greater movement.  And greater movement can be swiftly curtailed if things turn ugly.  

SWMBO ventured out for an evening stroll alone.  Her first day back at work-from-home has been slightly anxious and somewhat lacking in meaningful work.  It's more about answering emails than achieving much of a productive nature for now.  But it's a step back in the right direction.  

Once again bed time has come around.  A peaceful night to one and all.  

Whilst travelling by public transport to and from work is ot be avoided if possible, does that also mean you shouldnt use trains off peak for other travel?

At least we will now be able to drive / walk for lineside photos the way I read it as long as we keep 2m away from anyone else not in our household the way I understand it but with freight downturn that wont happen much, but it is tempting to do a click and collect from Hook Norton brewery one day next week. It will all depend if the roads now become overcrowded.

• Like 16

46 minutes ago, brianusa said:

On the other hand, coming in after gardening on a hot spring afternoon here, even in the PNW, a Bud or any other US beer, (they all taste the same) goes down nicely!

Hailing from Australia, I am very familiar with "lawnmower" beers and indeed on a hot afternoon, they can be very enjoyable.

Before the craft brewing revolution I used to drink Miller Genuine Draft and Sam Adams Boston Lager (for something special) but once introduced to the Portland craft brewing scene in the mid-1990s I never went back to what used to be the "big three".  I do wonder sometimes if a blind taste test of the nationally distributed traditionalish lagers (Coors Banquet, Miller Genuine Draft and Budweiser) held against Sam Adams Boston Lager and Yeungling Traditional Lager (only available in the East) would result in a distinction. The beer snob in me wants to say Sam Adams and Yeungling are better but it's hard to be truly objective.

I do enjoy Mexi-lagers with Mexican food. My preference is Bohemia (a Pils), but Pacífico Clara is easier to find in shops here. Corona Extra is untouchable; Corona-Light* and Corona-Premier* even more so. Lately, when wanting a "lawnmower" beer, I've enjoyed Deschutes' Pacific Wonderland or Pelican's Pelicano Extra! which are made here in Oregon.

* Transparent and indistinguishable.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Whilst travelling by public transport to and from work is ot be avoided if possible, does that also mean you shouldnt use trains off peak for other travel?

As I read the new advice public transport remains for key workers and other essential journeys only.  We await a response from the BTP as to their interpretation because there is nothing written into the new guidelines actually preventing use of any train in England by anyone for any purpose.  

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

No idea about guns, but that bow the Mrs has scares me!  The sound when the arrows hit the boss makes you realise how much energy there is in them.

I take it you're not the boss in the house then

Evening Awl,  

I read a Railway man's life history a few months  ago,  he was stationed as OIC of a army unit attached to a narrow gauge railway during ww2. The line ran in and out of the border in several places, which led to him and his men travelling hats off and often in overalls.  Later one of his local civilian staff was arrested as a member of the IRA and was found to have a large amount of weapons..  Slightly more worrying than dodging Mercian or Welsh Plod. 

As for the reduced lock down,  it should mean less traffic around here as the idiots can go visit the more well known beaches,  and not try to hide out where we are. 

I've got to go out tomorrow and collect the prescriptions we ordered last week. It's a better choice than Wednesday since the changes may give more idiot problems because of those who read into it what they want and not what the minor changes are. 

This evening has been more radar work, the third deck attached and the Two landing made and stuck on. 

• Like 19

42 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I wonder if we shall have border checks on "international" trains for the duration. 

That reminds me of the "interstate" border crossing checks between Queensland and NSW. I dimly remember them and most of my 'memories' are through conversations with Mum and Dad.

Your car would be inspected at the border to see if you were carrying fruit (and passengers on the fruit - fruit flies).  On the coast, the border ran though the middle of the combined town area of Coolangatta / Tweed Heads and there was literally a fence in the middle of town with gates along the road. The railway line from South Brisbane, terminated in Tweed Heads and if I'm not mistaken, there was a border crossing gate for trains along Dixon Street as well.

These quarantine rules still exist but the border checks and fencing are long gone.

At the Coolangatta airport, an aeroplane might start it's take off roll in Queensland and be wheels up in NSW, or vice-versa.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 17

2 hours ago, Simon G said:

I also recall that some lads used to play a sort of archery chicken  game by firing the arrow vertically up and then just standing there until it landed again!

haha we used to do that with shotputs! Lucky being about 10, we couldn't throw them very high..

• Funny 18

3 hours ago, brianusa said:

On the other hand, coming in after gardening on a hot spring afternoon here, even in the PNW, a Bud or any other US beer, (they all taste the same) goes down nicely!:drink_mini:

In general, I would agree. However, I think US Coors Light has a distinct taste, and it's different from Canadian Coors Light. Any time I'm drinking beer in the US (not likely to be doing that any time soon), I'll have one just to make sure it hasn't changed.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I do wonder sometimes if a blind taste test of the nationally distributed traditionalish lagers (Coors Banquet, Miller Genuine Draft and Budweiser) held against Sam Adams Boston Lager and Yeungling Traditional Lager (only available in the East) would result in a distinction. The beer snob in me wants to say Sam Adams and Yeungling are better but it's hard to be truly objective.

Ah, Yeungling! My wife is a very occasional beer drinker. However, on a holiday in the eastern US, we had a Yeungling with a meal and she commented on how much she had enjoyed it. As you say, available only in the east - we've not found it anywhere west of the Mississippi. One of our sons did some work in New York state a couple of years ago, and brought back a six-pack for his mum! I was very restrained and only had one of them.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

That reminds me of the "interstate" border crossing checks between Queensland and NSW. I dimly remember them and most of my 'memories' are through conversations with Mum and Dad.

Your car would be inspected at the border to see if you were carrying fruit (and passengers on the fruit - fruit flies).

There are checks for fruit and other commodities entering California along major highways.

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/ExteriorExclusion/borders.html

Edited by pH
To add link.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, pH said:

Ah, Yeungling! My wife is a very occasional beer drinker. However, on a holiday in the eastern US, we had a Yeungling with a meal and she commented on how much she had enjoyed it. As you say, available only in the east - we've not found it anywhere west of the Mississippi. One of our sons did some work in New York state a couple of years ago, and brought back a six-pack for his mum! I was very restrained and only had one of them.

Yeungling, hmmm, I am going to be having one of their Traditional Lager in about a half hour.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1