The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit of Arthur Itis this morning but he's now gone without resorting to the Nurofen. The TV has started going into scan mode again but I may have discovered a routine to overcome it. Switch off at the main and leave it for a couple of minutes then switch it on at the mains and it returns to 'sleep' mode. Then wait a few minutes and then switch on and so far its worked. Not that I will be watching much if any TV today as there's some sort of kick-ball game on that they're making a fuss over. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A beautiful sunny day here in England’s northwest, but we’ve had quite a bit of overnight rain, so no need to water the plants this morning. 

I had a and a chat with Ian last night and he says he may possibly be able to start the plastering in the cellar, so I’m going to crack on with the new underfloor storage area, so I can clear the cellar of all the wood etc that’s currently stacked up against one of the cellar walls. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, TheQ said:

Now I'm on the right computer, time for a couple of pictures.

Pleased to see that you are keeping your workspace clean and tidy . . . . . . . :jester:

16 hours ago, TheQ said:

So to move the boat it's:

Take down the marquee,

Raise the h frame,

haul on the chains,

Remove all the blocks,

Push trailer under.

Lower boat onto trailer,

Fit and adjust support arms to trailer.

Tow trailer to sailing club,

Hook the club crane to the boat 

Lift boat, push away trailer.

Manoeuvre crane over the water, lower boat in. 

Did you ever think of buying a new boat - it all sounds rather complicated to get it from home to water . . . . . . :jester:

On a more serious note - I have enjoyed your interesting and informative reports on the work you have done - didn't understand half of it but admire your dedication and perseverance. Now we all look forward to the next photographic report of you sailing away into the sunset . . . . . . . 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

We have beaches too, they're just slightly further away (about 90 miles) and the highways are dodgy. The ocean water right now is around 12°C. It 'burns' to put your feet in. The coast is usually much cooler in the summer. (The Oregon coast is a place where people put clothes on to got to the beach.)

The weather app on my phone still has a few of the places we visited a couple of years ago on it. Seaside is forecast to be 21 later today. It was mid to upper 20s yesterday. In contrast Seattle was showing very high 30s and 40 over the last few days.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I remember news footage of a fire where lots of the propane tanks (the small ones for backyard grills) were stored. It was very dramatic.

This from Russia .

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Somewhere rather shallow probably.

Jamie

Certainly the 4 rivers that go to the west , The Chet, Bure, Yare and Waveney all run out of enough water . The odd one being the Bure as you  run into a weir at Coltishall, the canalised river allowed you to travel a further 11 miles to Aylsham.. 

However the set of lock gates to allow you to continue were washed away in a great flood in 1912..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

, the fastest computer in the house is a 10 year old desktop that has had all the Microsoft software stripped off and Linux installed.

My 10 year old PC was probably the fastest computer in the house but it was getting slow to boot up despite loads of extra ram and a graphics card update. It has served me well though.  The replacement is just so fast in comparison. It seems quite substantial, unboxing was quite an effort. I had to slide the box up the stairs.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Someone's still having a big wee over our heads down here

They must have a long range - they have just started the same over the Hill of Strawberries :( 

If nothing else that gets me out of the "need to walk" after work which Dr. SWMBO has discussed - though it failed then to engage my enthusiasm and is definitely off the agenda now.  

• Friendly/supportive 17

Chewsday

Nothing much to report from yesterday, same likely today.

At least it's cooler here with some rain finally, 18 first thing and had overnight rain, an inch or so, more rain forecast today and a high of 26 expected.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 16

Afternoon all, we had a 7 mile cycle ride and spotted a few farmland birds on our journey, first Corn Buntings of the summer, Yellowhammer and Skylarks all singing, took me right back to the 1950's in England when there still were farmland birds to be seen. There was a big clap of thunder before we went, but looking at the sky I could not make out where it came from, no rain here at the moment. Car due in the garage tomorrow, I think a front brake is sticking on occasionally and I cannot see why, suspect a new calliper may be required, no doubt more muddling tokens gone.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

This from Russia .

Three questions spring to mind:

1.  Did the driver make it out?

2.  Is the car next to the crash dead, or is the driver dumb beyond belief to leave it there?

3.  Is the Police Car driver also dumb?  He had second thoughts soon after, reversing out of there.

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Also at the moment HR is busy moving .. 3 desks into one office, Oh they have come down in the world..

Oh dear, how sad, what a shame.....:rofl:

Did Bear sound sincere?

In other news:

All together now.....Ahhhhh......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-57651894

Bear spent the afternoon doing last minute kitchen refurb jobs that need doing before the arrival of the worktops tomorrow.  This included cutting a 35mm tap hole in three hundred quid's worth of new kitchen sink.  Made my botty twitch somewhat, that little number :scared:  Fortunately it was a lot easier than expected :smile_mini:

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I'm more than a bit annoyed with the BBC. According to the printed TV program the news would start at 4 PM. Because of the TV going into scan mode I switched on ten minutes early. It didn't go into scan mode (fortunately) but instead of the tennis that was scheduled it was two thirds of the way through the news! Apparently someone in their wisdom decided to move the news forward to 3:30 so anyone switching on expecting to see the news at 4 as advertised would have missed it. Those of you who have been or are in the passenger transport industry, buses in particular know that running early is a cardinal sin but running late is acceptable with a just reason.

5 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

This from Russia .

I've seen this before, in the above clip they've cut about a third of it out. One question, where's the fire brigade?

11 minutes ago, polybear said:

Three questions spring to mind:

1.  Did the driver make it out?

2.  Is the car next to the crash dead, or is the driver dumb beyond belief to leave it there?

3.  Is the Police Car driver also dumb?  He had second thoughts soon after, reversing out of there.

Oh dear, how sad, what a shame.....:rofl:

Did Bear sound sincere?

:smile_mini:

1) Yes he did, he can be seen running towards the central barrier and ducking behind it at the start of the film.

2) Its front end was damaged making it immovable, the driver joined the gas truck driver behind the concrete barrier.

3) Dumber than dumb.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I've seen this before, in the above clip they've cut about a third of it out. One question, where's the fire brigade?

I purposely put up the short version , there is an 8+ minute one available if any one wants to see more .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 13

6 hours ago, The Lurker said:

The weather app on my phone still has a few of the places we visited a couple of years ago on it. Seaside is forecast to be 21 later today. It was mid to upper 20s yesterday. In contrast Seattle was showing very high 30s and 40 over the last few days.

Seaside got up to 38°C on Sunday - which was still cooler than Portland. Much cooler now as you say. The dangerous heat is broken, but it is still going to be much warmer than "normal".

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15