DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the likes guys, getting on with the lining now. 

Started with the easy bit; the boiler bands, followed by the splashers. 

Cab-side (small) and tender (huge) look to be the most awkward bits.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the "likes" gents.

There is a question of the paint on the tops of the splashers:  Of the colour photos I've seen, some appear green, others black, and some indistinguishable.  I don't suppose there is a definitive answer, so I've done the one that meets the firebox green and the front one black.

The Hornby model has them all green.

Edited by DLT
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

Not sure if this is a help or not. You asked about the splasher tops. I was looking at some images of Lord Nelsons earlier and noticed that it looks like all of the splashers are green, see what you think.

image.png.25eeba29efb4f95b23fc23ca5c0da0a9.png

Definitely all green in that shot, Thanks very much.

• RMweb Premium

Cabside lining was somewhat simpler than I anticipated, but still fiddly:

IMG_8079Small.jpg.1cc25a35c95c6014fe320eb0da7a2c24.jpg

And a start has been made on the jigsaw of lining bits for the tender.

IMG_8080Small.jpg.92b3b92a6e337d8e2b0c388b2175fe86.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The cylinder lining should be orange, it looks red in the photo. Yes, the splasher tops should be green, only the Western Region painted them black (except on the County Class). However, ‘always’ means ‘mostly’, and ‘never’ means ‘except sometimes’.

Ian R

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

The cylinder lining should be orange, it looks red in the photo. Yes, the splasher tops should be green, only the Western Region painted them black (except on the County Class). However, ‘always’ means ‘mostly’, and ‘never’ means ‘except sometimes’.

Ian R

Hello Ian,

Thanks very much for the info.  Black-looking splasher tops are probably due to lack of cleaning compared to the faces!

As for the cylinder lining, there are quite a few colour photos of SR locos in BR green with black cylinders.  Often the colour cannot be clearly identified, but where it is it SEEMS to show red. 

For instance, in this photo of 30856 ex-works, the lining looks distinctly red compared to the orange boiler lining.  Several photos of Nelsons, Schools and rebuilt Bullieds also seem to show this.  Whether this is a photographic effect, or an Eastleigh "signature" I wouldn't like to say!

30856Ex-worksCROP.jpg.f35e12e861adef10d409d7173d40afa6.jpg

By the way, I'm reading your book and practising my airbrushing; and I regularly look at your galleries for inspiration!

Many thanks,

Dave.T

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, DLT said:

As for the cylinder lining, there are quite a few colour photos of SR locos in BR green with black cylinders.  Often the colour cannot be clearly identified, but where it is it SEEMS to show red. 

For instance, in this photo of 30856 ex-works, the lining looks distinctly red compared to the orange boiler lining.  Several photos of Nelsons, Schools and rebuilt Bullieds also seem to show this.  Whether this is a photographic effect, or an Eastleigh "signature" I wouldn't like to say!

30856Ex-worksCROP.jpg.f35e12e861adef10d409d7173d40afa6.jpg

Definitely orange - the apparent difference is due to the relative contrast with the background colour, and the fact that the boiler lining is in a better position to reflect sunlight.

I'm afraid that the red cylinder lining on a green loco looks VERY odd!

CJI.

23 hours ago, DLT said:

Ok, does this look better?

IMG_8082Small.jpg.404267d470d3750899bd8d1f6de81baa.jpg

Indubitably!!

Do you perceive that the orange on black is somehow more 'bold' than the orange on green?

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Indubitably!!

Do you perceive that the orange on black is somehow more 'bold' than the orange on green?

CJI.

CJI.

Being on a (mainly) flat and vertical surface, compared to the boiler, alters ones perception of it, too. I think.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tender lining is done, and a bit of a marathon.  I think there are at least ten pieces of lining per side.  The crests are slightly on the large side when compared to the available photos.

IMG_8091Small.jpg.c8bc65d59a84324d465bfad3d3dfcb2d.jpg

The remains of my HMRS GW/BR lining sheet.

IMG_8100Small.jpg.2c643dbaab9fbd16381c80ff379496ac.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Jack P said:

Patience most likely, Gin/Whiskey/Absinth for after? 

Sound advice methinks.  Whats the expression, "Absinth make the heart grow fonder"  ???

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DLT said:

Sound advice methinks.  Whats the expression, "Absinth make the heart grow fonder"  ???

The version I heard was 'Absinthe makes the tart go wronger', but that might just have been the company I was keeping at the time.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

The Nelson had a run on the mixed gauge section of the Exeter Gauge 0 Group Test-Track (if it will run on that it'll run on anything...)

We got the usual Romney Hythe & Dymchurch comments, but it was otherwise much admired.

Sorry its a bit dark, lighting isn't great in the hall.

• Like 10

On 02/07/2023 at 21:45, DLT said:

Tender lining is done, and a bit of a marathon.  I think there are at least ten pieces of lining per side.  The crests are slightly on the large side when compared to the available photos.

IMG_8091Small.jpg.c8bc65d59a84324d465bfad3d3dfcb2d.jpg

The remains of my HMRS GW/BR lining sheet.

IMG_8100Small.jpg.2c643dbaab9fbd16381c80ff379496ac.jpg

Just in case you, (or anybody else), does another!

Lord Nelson Tender Loco Lining Set (fox-transfers.co.uk)

https://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/lord-nelson-tender-loco-lining-set

No connection except as a very satisfied customer who has used several Fox Lining packs!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/07/2023 at 04:39, 45568 said:

No connection except as a very satisfied customer who has used several Fox Lining packs!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Thanks Peter,

How do you get on with the lining?  I've always assumed waterslide lining to be very delicate and difficult to get aligned, which is why I've stuck with the HMRS pressfix system.

Cheers, Dave.

15 hours ago, DLT said:

Thanks Peter,

How do you get on with the lining?  I've always assumed waterslide lining to be very delicate and difficult to get aligned, which is why I've stuck with the HMRS pressfix system.

Cheers, Dave.

In all fairness Dave I have not found that with the Fox lining. It does not pay to be too ambitious and try to use the whole tender lining panel in one piece, (it can be done but the swearing and tension make it, shall we say, unpleasant)! I recently finished a Stanier 3500 gal. tender and basically cut corner radiuses out and positioned them, then filled in the straights between them. I have found the lining to be quite strong and quite happy to be positioned, dabbed dry, and then rewetted to straighten or move even after a few minutes. Splasher lining for a Jubilee/Scot or similar is easily applied as a single piece. I have only actually used the valance lining once, and found it better to position all curves first, and then add straight lengths afterwards, this can be fragile so less is more here. I have been very pleased with their boiler band lining, as this is again quite robust and sympathetic to rewetting and repositioning.

All these remarks apply to the orange/black/orange lining, I have not as yet used their MT lining as I am still working through stocks of Modelmaster for that. There is absolutely minimal excess carrier film on the Fox product, no clear film either side of the lining. It is quite happy with Tamiya acrlic spray varnish to seal.

As an example, this is a Hornby A2/3 repainted from LNER to BR green by brush, and using Fox lining, letters and numbers.

DSCN0470(2).JPG.f1e01f81ddca6a42f314ba04b380678c.JPG

Hope this is useful.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Edited by 45568
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, 45568 said:

I have found the lining to be quite strong and quite happy to be positioned, dabbed dry, and then rewetted to straighten or move even after a few minutes.

First point - waterslide transfers should ALWAYS be applied to a HIGH GLOSS finish - if you have a prejudice against such finishes, (despite the fact that the final coat can be any finish you choose), avoid waterslide transfers as you will almost certainly be disappointed to find a white 'ghost' behind the carrier film.

That said, and assuming that we ARE applying the transfers to a HIGH GLOSS finish, there is no need to trim the lining transfers as close as possible to the printing. I know that this is contrary to accepted advice, but it makes handling the transfers MUCH easier. The reason is that cutting the transfer film twice, close together, sets up stresses within it that produce twisting and other undesirable behaviour!

Remember - if clear transfer film is applied to a HIGH GLOSS finish, it will become invisible when over-varnished with gloss. Thus excess clear film on one or both sides of the lining transfer will not be detectable, but the ease of application will be hugely improved.

If you do not believe me, I can only quote from a recent e-mail from a customer who was having great difficulty applying my lining transfers; (which he had purchased over ten years previously) : -

"John, I’m well on the way with the second side, and using a wider transfer strip is a revelation! So much easier to apply and get straight, and seems inclined to stay put. Wow! I had been cutting close to the line in order to minimise carrier film, and I think that’s where I was encountering problems. I have been modelling for sixty years, and this proves that there’s always something new to learn"!

..... and, for my own use, I print cabside and tender side transfers complete with lining and numbering / crest, and apply them as a single transfer.

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 1 month later...