DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, DLT said:

And another question for the livery experts please, should the ejector pipe be green?

From the ex-works images of LN's in BR livery I would say yes green with the portion running on the smokebox black so you don't have to repaint it all DLT!

The model looks very fine and as you say, you have more detail to add. My second ever kit build was one of these Craftsman Kits, I think they are a good effort for the time.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Final assembly and adding all the many bits seems to take forever!

Also a bit of a struggle with the etched plates; the ones I've been supplied are very thin and flimsy, etched on 5-thou brass.  Difficult to remove them from the fret without bending them, 

Why so thin? Loco nameplate are hefty castings, and 12 or 15-thou would be much better.

Debating whether to laminate them for strength, they have to sit on top of the splasher.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, DLT said:

Debating whether to laminate them for strength, they have to sit on top of the splasher.

I think most loco's where the namplate is over the splasher have a mounting bracket attached to the top of the splasher to which the nameplate is bolted. I have consulted my Book of the.... always a good starting point I think, and on page 32  you can just see the curve of the mounting bracket at the end of Sir Francis Drake's nameplate. My thought being you could make up the bracket from thicker material with tabs to glue to the top of the splasher but paint and fit the nameplate to the bracket and then fit the assembly to the top of the splasher. Just a thought.

I use the very sharpest new blade to remove nameplates, it can still result in some damage but it can usually be corrected.

An excuse to show a few images of my Robert Blake in ex works condition pausing at 70D. Built a long time ago by me from a Craftsman Kit bought at a Model Railway Exhibition.  I did not follow my advice when I fitted the nameplate!

IMG_8196.JPG.6a6920e95d5149468122b6274b0d6770.JPG

IMG_8199.JPG.30e70e8bea2352762af8a1b408583ab3.JPG

IMG_8197.JPG.138b8cf572e307e86ec9a64e16b8d01b.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Richard.  I had added a mounting bracket earlier in the build, but a nameplate so thin needs support over its whole length.  I think I got it flat!

Robert Blake looks good, what did you power it with?

Thanks, Dave.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DLT said:

Thanks Dave. Do you know I can't remember I will have to have a look!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, DLT said:

I keep spotting things I've missed; cab handrails, screw-couplings, paint-chips on footplate edges etc, etc...

But the nameplate looks very good!

Looks very fine Dave.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DLT said:

Sorry, here's a few more photos. 

I keep spotting things I've missed; cab handrails, screw-couplings, paint-chips on footplate edges etc, etc...IMG_8178Small.jpg.3bb8f69d7f8402d9bfb2e1f6405fdafe.jpg

IMG_8183Small.jpg.0524401e57976ca5bc4591bb5c9dcc48.jpg

IMG_8192Small.jpg.c0bc793c2385d6f32e1683c362bc3479.jpg

IMG_8187Small.jpg.4fe717a40d90346cf657565366a5b22a.jpg

You have made a superb job of that quite difficult Kit and the paint job etc is excellent Dave. Very much a Silver Guilt Certficate for that matey.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, DLT said:

HI Dave,

Dug this image out from 2012.

IMG_0309.JPG.91a1f274b5eb4d53076fa0c1167e537b.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 4

13 hours ago, RAY NORWOOD said:

You cannot get Mashima motors anymore. I always get my motor and gearbox from High levels. 

Branchlines still have Mashima motors in stock. I bought one a few weeks ago.

Barry

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, yes there are still quite a few Mashimas around "while stocks last".

I wasn't actually looking for one, I was commenting on Richard.B's Nelson build from a while ago.

Like Ray, my "goto" now is Highlevel motor and box.

Cheers, Dave.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another poor quality film of the finished article running on the Group's Test-track (so called, because it will run on there, it will run anywhere!)

Edited by DLT
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, DLT said:

Please can anyone recommend a decent spraycan varnish?  Matt or satin?

Some time ago someone mentioned Halfords, but all I can find there is gloss lacquer.

Mike Clarke (Masokits) was singing the praises of Revell's matt aerosol varnish the other night at our S4 meeting - he showed the results, and very good they were too. I was certainly convinced. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, DLT said:

Please can anyone recommend a decent spraycan varnish?  Matt or satin?

Some time ago someone mentioned Halfords, but all I can find there is gloss lacquer.

Hi Dave,

I usually use Railmatch Satin varnish from a rattle can that generally work ok if well looked after. Halfords do in fact also do a Satin Lacquer that I have also used without any issues.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Tried out the Halfords matt and satin lacquers, and ... they look exactly the same!  

Close examination under a strong light shows a VERY slight, almost insignificant difference in the finish.

I've used Halfords matt and satin black sprays quite a lot, and expected these to match.  The finish of the lacquers is somewhere between the two.

I will carry on using them as they spray very well, and the finish is actually very good.

Thanks for the advice, I will be checking others out.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...