DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

• RMweb Premium

It may seem that nothing is happening here, but considerable  progress is being made without much to actually photograph.

The boiler unit is done, but the etched locating slots for the smokebox saddle were in the wrong place.   And I need to finish any soldering on the footplate assembly before I can start permanently adding the whitemetal bits.

There will be photos as soon as there's something to see.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DLT said:

It may seem that nothing is happening here, but considerable  progress is being made without much to actually photograph.

The boiler unit is done, but the etched locating slots for the smokebox saddle were in the wrong place.   And I need to finish any soldering on the footplate assembly before I can start permanently adding the whitemetal bits.

There will be photos as soon as there's something to see.

Ah, yes, however your post at least helps us feel better that even modellers as good as you sometimes take time to make photographable progress. Seriously though this thread is so useful with a rescued Nelson to put together. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning Dave

Not sure whether this image willgive you any inspiration, but I bought No.863 Lord Rodney on Flea-Bay several years ago, and he / she is built from a Craftsman kit.

SJPP608003002180608.jpg.5ff40e3273b24efec36ead0c5e6892a6.jpg

The finish is far too shiny for my liking but I have not got around to weathering it because there are also a few other problems to fix, but in any event I am certain that what you produce will be streets ahead of this!

Tony

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yet again, its a long time since updates, for various reasons rather than lack of activity.  Again, stuff going on but not much to show for it.

The bogie looked good at first, nice castings, hefty and heavy etc.  But of course it was designed to be mounted on the usual floppy swinging arm; a recipe for derailment.

My usual method is to mount the bogie as per prototype, sliding on a central pin.  On this occasion it involved rebuilding the middle of the bogie, with a slot for the pin to slide in. and a solid sliding surface on top.  This then requires a flat surface on the underside of the chassis with the pin (10BA screw) permanently fixed.  In the one-pace-forward-two-paces-back department this arrangement then makes the body fixing screw location inaccessible, so that had to be moved.  Not far, back about 5mm, and accessed through a slot in the new flat base. 

The springy nickel-silver wire fixed to the bogie, and sliding into a tube fixed to the chassis keeps the bogie restrained to where it should be.

117688794_IMG_7877Small.jpg.0d7c9b2efe51d605eb9ad54a1a00f14f.jpg

1643534962_IMG_7873Small.jpg.43b9391d02dcf461a44a4feb08657bfc.jpg

It took some careful measurement and trial-and-error with thin laminations to get the height of the chassis base correct.  The bogie need to be able move sideways freely, but not lift enough to derail.

As shown in the photos below, the front extension of the base holds the front of the bogie down.

616011208_IMG_7859Small.jpg.513797acdbb4bbedc8a5154d6b740b13.jpg

1116859364_IMG_7864Small.jpg.2c594f9eeb8e6502b23fe7361e843a80.jpg

Clear as mud???

And I replaced the Markits bogie wheels with Gibsons which have slightly narrower and deeper flanges, making them track better.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Premium

And today's one-pace-forward-two-paces-back is the reversing rod.  It turns out to be too thin, wrong shape, and too short.....

So its out with the etched leftovers box and files.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Nick,

I have to admit this ones been a bit of a marathon.  I've been a bit bogged-down with the dimensions and details, and additionally having to work extra shifts on the run up to Christmas, the cold period when the workshop was VERY uninviting, plus a bout of the flu, have all conspired against me.

There was a lot to do to the old-style chassis as well, and it was only recently I discovered that Wizard/Comet do a chassis kit aimed at upgrading the Hornby model.  I wish I had started with that!

Anyway, we're getting there, another update to follow.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the "likes" folks.  After the recent spurt of activity, I need to spend a bit of time getting Bridport ready for the new year, with the realisation that my first show is in one months time!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 02/01/2023 at 12:56, DLT said:

Thanks for all the "likes" folks.  After the recent spurt of activity, I need to spend a bit of time getting Bridport ready for the new year, with the realisation that my first show is in one months time!

Thanks Dave for sharing your experience and knowledge, I'm sure I'm not the only one that find your posts inspiring. I must get my bum into gear and finish off the three kits I am the process of building.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

With all the springing attached to the pickup plate, the pickups themselves were re-routed around the springs to reach the wheel backs.

988719037_IMG_8020Small.jpg.6f5acddee064ddef297c6c2d58fc8916.jpg

Then comes the fiddliest bit of all, assembling the brakegear, pretty much by my usual methods.  The etched pull-rods were not correct, and so fine and flimsy as to be unusable.  So I used my pragmatic method of two brass rods to create some strength and hold everything together.  As its virtually invisible on the finished loco, absolute correctness isn't an issue.

1233601731_IMG_8029Small.jpg.5738a16523b06861509ba19dc0995422.jpg

So putting it all together:

976964095_IMG_8019Small.jpg.47ebe6253b212939b85017ca6b4ca038.jpg

1216378488_IMG_8034Small.jpg.93fd87a9915cf48cdf37fc803369a420.jpg

350072989_IMG_8036Small.jpg.5dfe72483455cc0e4717a642e55ca57b.jpg

That pretty much completes the creation of parts, time to start working out a sequence of assembly and painting.

Dave.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...