Warren Lane

bugs bunny

I did wonder, but there's no obvious cable unless it's fed up through the inside of the structure. I would have thought in that position it would more likely have been for base unit drive along the rails rather than anything at the top. Hydraulic transmission for the wheels? (I'm not good with what that would look like!)

You sure? too much width? Have to come up with a new crane! (the drum looks suspiciously like it might be a similar size to some dinky motors i've been eyeing up...you're doing this to me on purpose aren't you?)

How goes the rest of the new container transfers anyway Big Al? I've not tweaked the T-A's yet (still waiting to see that one) but will do for the next print run when you've given me some designs to have a go at.

It looks like a ships anchor winch.

Look halfway up the crane legs in the back ground.....

Rubbish picture update, not as exciting as pictures of trains , but if i could put as many hours into building a layout as this is taken i'd have something special by now!

Small simple things really aren't small and simple with this panel. As a break from wiring inside the box i've been adding connectors to cables. The one to the fiddle yard was easy enough as it was a ready made cable anyway, but now i've been working on the one that carries the panel Supplies, Shunter Remote, and Board 1 point motor signals. This splits into 2 parts half way along it's length so a standard cable hasn't been an option. The Supplies go to a choc-block connector and the remote and motor signals go to a 15way connector so each wire has had to be added individually followed by lots of tape wrapping. Joy.

post-9147-0-97468900-1370962628_thumb.jpg

Slight design change from the original plan has meant the 9 way connector fitted to the shunter remote needs replacing with a 15 way to carry the point motor signals and the connector mounting in a wooden bracket similar to that for the fiddle yard. Here it's partly completed as i've now stopped for the day.

post-9147-0-63741300-1370962655_thumb.jpg

Any good modelling pictures for us Al?!

Sorry lads, going back to the Heljan Container Terminal controller bit.

Having "operated" said item at Colchester some time ago, could you add one of those flip-over plastic button guards over the magnet button, so numb-nuts like me don't press it when the container is neither on or near the intended release position, ie up in the air between rakes?!

C6T.

Easier solution to that is there's a socket on the side of the controller for attaching a standard computer Joy-stick. i keep thinking to borrow one to give it a try but I'm not sure a joy-stick itself would be an easier control option, but there's bound to be 'playstation' style controllers with similar connectors.

• RMweb Premium

To all warren lane fans.

Especially Owners Alan and Mags. My fastline freight 66 that Alan kindly weathered for me now has Legomanbiffo sound.

Here's a link to it on YouTube. Only a short clip

Thanks biffo an excellent sound can't wait to try it out on Warren Lane

To all warren lane fans.

Especially Owners Alan and Mags. My fastline freight 66 that Alan kindly weathered for me now has Legomanbiffo sound.

Here's a link to it on YouTube. Only a short clip

Thanks biffo an excellent sound can't wait to try it out on Warren Lane

I think it will be become a Warren Lane favourite :locomotive:

Cut the wire, strip the wire, solder the wire......Cut the wire, strip the wire, solder the wire......Cut the wire, strip the wire, solder the wire......Cut the wire, strip the wire, solder the wire......Cut the wire, strip the wire, solder the wire......Cut the wire, strip the wire, solder the wire..........9 hours today and it's still not finished. Never again.

• RMweb Premium

Cut the wire, strip the wire, solder the wire......Cut the wire, strip the wire, solder the wire......Cut the wire, strip the wire, solder the wire......Cut the wire, strip the wire, solder the wire......Cut the wire, strip the wire, solder the wire......Cut the wire, strip the wire, solder the wire..........9 hours today and it's still not finished. Never again.

thats dedication.

Manged a little more this morning. All that's left to do in the main panel now is wiring up the route indication LEDs for the fiddle yard and finally the +/-12v feeds to each relay for the motor control :-) ...... then the Secondary panel needs building, and wiring, and the cable to run to it, and then everything can get tested and fault chasing starts.....

Well done Matt

Me and Mags have been working all weekend on the fiddle yard

Nearly finished all the wiring.

post-9211-0-00751500-1371396155_thumb.jpg

post-9211-0-74932200-1371396165_thumb.jpg

post-9211-0-45324400-1371396177_thumb.jpg

Have started to paint the top of boards

First time all 3 boards joined up together

post-9211-0-61617700-1371396190_thumb.jpg

post-9211-0-98066000-1371396203.jpg

Stupid website only lets me press the like button once! Looks good big man.

The unconventional point arrangements make it look a good yard layout on its own :-)

I am just wondering though how easy it will be to tell which train is on which track once the yard is full? Bare in mind the yard will be behind the operator when they're facing the controls.....How easy would it be to add a pair of removable arches towards the inside ends of the outer boards spanning all 8 tracks with big clear numbers/letters on them letting you know which track is which?

Right, now i've created another issue i'd better turn the soldering iron back on.

Don't worry, i'll ruin the neat illusion later when i put panel pics on, and i'm still an Electronics Technician! Apart from the quick job of the +/-12v jumpers to the relays, all the panel wiring is done! Time to start ripping the tape and ty-wrapping it all down and neatening it up :-)

As promised, here's the untidyness!

Before the weekend it was at this sort of state:

post-9147-0-68544100-1371414364_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-35710300-1371414387_thumb.jpg

By the end of yesterday it was like this:

post-9147-0-24548600-1371414394_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-83099100-1371414400_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-24612900-1371414407_thumb.jpg

And completing today sees it at this stage:

All wiring done apart from the +/-12v jumpers from the big choc-block to the relays and it's in a state now where the next little task is pulling up all the masking and electrical tape and fixing all the wiring down neatly with ty-wraps. The 'shunter' cable was completed a few days ago, so i think it should be possible now to put power to it and see if all the LEDs work as they're supposed to when switches are changed and in theory if that works then all the point motor feeds should work correctly too. I may have to try that over the next couple of days.

post-9147-0-61283200-1371414413_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-87215300-1371414419_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-80278600-1371414426_thumb.jpg

There has been a couple of little design changes as it's gone a long, nothing major, but one thing i have now added is a simple confidence interlock that checks each cable is connected properly. A written noddy guide will need to go with it but if certain panel LEDs aren't lit it indicates a certain cable has been pulled out.

Alan,

Going back to what i mentioned about earlier of being able to tell which track is which, i'll rustle something up if you'd like which don't need to be fixed to the boards.

Will need to know what the exact to the mm width measurement is between the 2 edging boards (A) and the width of the edging boards themselves (B ) please to knock them up.

Ta

post-9147-0-83289300-1371415347.jpg

It works!

Minor issue with the shunter remote but touch wood that will be fixable without me losoing too much more hair.

post-9147-0-92196400-1371482406_thumb.jpg

Crane indicators obviously not yet alight as there's no crane panel. The LED interlock for the fiddle yard was also tested after these shots, the 'main down' LEDs at each end of the scenic section not lit in the above photo mean the fiddle yard cable isn't attached.

Also, had a 'fun' few hours at Didcot with Phil (hawkingetippyd) where to quote and old boy that spends a lot of time there, 'this is the quietest i've seen a Monday for a long time'. I'm sure we'll have some photo's to follow, i won't disgrace this page with pictures of the HP sponsered HST power car.

Thanks Alan, I'm just amazed it behaved itself as well as it did for a first power-up. Well stoked there's only 1 fault to chase.

Cheers for the measurements, i'll get those knocked up :-) Would love to know where you find metric wood, everything i ever find is still imperial.

Archived