Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

That's the Hornby, bought when they first came out. Weathered and roof repainted. Its a through coach from York, added to the Manchester train.

Here's a better picture of it.

post-7090-0-45844200-1442430781_thumb.jpg

and here is one of the nearly completed hotel (with ridge tiles added and flashing) just the front gardens to do and blend it into the scenery properly.

post-7090-0-42943000-1442430864_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

That's a lovely looking hotel but I do hope there IS a sea view!

Otherwise, this might happen.

"I can't see the sea"

"There it is, between the land and the sky"

"Well, it's not good enough"

"What did you expect to see from a Torquay hotel window? The hanging gardens of Babylon perhaps or herds of wildebeast grazing on the savanna?"

John Cleese mode: OFF!

• Like 1

whilst ferreting about in the model railway I discovered some Metcalf buildings I had built (or given) at some time or another, possibly for the previous layout (Abergower) and some half finished Superquick buildings that I had completely forgotten about, so I thought I'd plonk them on the layout to see what the station environs might look like and also to give me some clue as to how high I might need to raise the land on the backscene. The wife thinks it doesn't look too bad, considering there's no pavement, chimney pots etc. anyway here's the result.

post-7090-0-59885200-1443034392_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-12509900-1443034417_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-99439900-1443034440_thumb.jpg

Edited by westerner
  • Like 12

The first picture looking through the station canopy looks very effective considering you 'plonked' down the Metcalfe buildings. With a road, pavement and bus turning circle, ala Kingswear, part of the layout should look great.

whilst ferreting about in the model railway I discovered some Metcalf buildings I had built (or given) at some time or another, possibly for the previous layout (Abergower) and some half finished Superquick buildings that I had completely forgotten about, so I thought I'd plonk them on the layout to see what the station environs might look like and also to give me some clue as to how high I might need to raise the land on the backscene. The wife thinks it doesn't look too bad, considering there's no pavement, chimney pots etc. anyway here's the result.

attachicon.gifhigh st f1.jpg

attachicon.gifhigh st f2a.jpg

attachicon.gifhigh st f3.jpg

At last some pics on here that I might actually aspire to. But I,ve already been inspired to draw out plans based on Helston, which will hopefully start to materialise over the Winter.

TONY

The idea is that the road access (remember this is in the early sixties) is at the back, the road to the left of the hotel will look as if its curved round behind the hotel. As mentioned before the front garden of the hotel is no where near finished. It will have a path to the road.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

At last I've taken the bull by the horns or should I say the jigsaw by the handle and started doing the harbour.

The first photo shows the baseboard as it was.

post-7090-0-72738600-1444560434_thumb.jpg

The second shows the board with the hole cut and the side of the board trimmed to the required depth.

post-7090-0-54617600-1444560536_thumb.jpg

More photos will appear as the build progresses.

• Like 14

I haven't yet decided. I used Realistic Water for a harbour on a previous layout but it took an age to go off, and when it did it was very flat and smooth. I also used it on the stream on Wencombe where it worked very well. I may go the PVA route with varnish over the top. But all that is some way off yet.

Whist waiting for various packets of stone work to arrive, I had a long hard think about what to do with the two cottages you can see in the background of the pictures of the harbour. They are plaster castings. In the end I thought that area of the harbour needed some fisherman's cottages. So with heart in mouth decided to double the number by sawing them in half lengthwise and using them as half relief cottages. They will eventually be painted white.

the cottages on the old Wencombe layout

post-7090-0-70106900-1445190822.jpg

And now doubled in quantity and roughly placed in position.

post-7090-0-39351000-1445190903_thumb.jpg

• Like 15