This is a very long shot

When I first started at secondary school during the early 60s, in the school library was a model railway book which I found fascinating at the time. It had no dust jacket and from memory the hard covers were just a pale grey or blue/grey. The size and shape was portrait and probably foolscap page size or thereabouts.

Inside, the pages were full of photos of various Triang layouts, or close-ups of Triang models on those layouts. The book was in rather poor condition, so I presume that it was possibly donated to the library by an ex-pupil, and had obviously been very popular either with him, or with other children before me.

Given the state the book was in, I presume it must have been published sometime in the 1950s but I have never seen anything similar despite visiting numerous second hand stalls at exhibitions, preserved lines and the like.

In about 1967 the school moved into brand new buildings which included a new library, and I never saw the book again. I presume that either someone took it home, or that the staff deemed it unworthy of a place in their shiny new domain and threw it out.

I am sorry that I dont have any more clues, but that is all I can remember. Has anyone an inkling of which book this might have been?

• RMweb Gold

When I first started at secondary school during the early 60s, in the school library was a model railway book which I found fascinating at the time. It had no dust jacket and from memory the hard covers were just a pale grey or blue/grey. The size and shape was portrait and probably foolscap page size or thereabouts.

Inside, the pages were full of photos of various Triang layouts, or close-ups of Triang models on those layouts. The book was in rather poor condition, so I presume that it was possibly donated to the library by an ex-pupil, and had obviously been very popular either with him, or with other children before me.

Given the state the book was in, I presume it must have been published sometime in the 1950s but I have never seen anything similar despite visiting numerous second hand stalls at exhibitions, preserved lines and the like.

In about 1967 the school moved into brand new buildings which included a new library, and I never saw the book again. I presume that either someone took it home, or that the staff deemed it unworthy of a place in their shiny new domain and threw it out.

I am sorry that I dont have any more clues, but that is all I can remember. Has anyone an inkling of which book this might have been?

Not sure about the foolscap bit, but am sure I had access to - maybe owned - a similar publication in the early '50s. Closeups of Tri-ang models really rings a loud bell. I even recall a printed commentary on one picture where there were tank cars - both milk and petroleum. Somthing like "Let's hope they don't get mixed-up!" I can't have learned to read before 1952 (born Nov '48) but equally it can't have been later than '55 or '56.

I'm afraid that I cant remember any of the captions; I just used to look at the photos and daydream. I wonder if the photos were of TT models rather than 00? I dont know what makes me think that, but Triang did produce quite a range at one time.

I have looked through some Triang collectors' websites, but have seen nothing similar so far. However, because the school library book was without a dust jacket I have no idea of the front illustration.

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid that I cant remember any of the captions; I just used to look at the photos and daydream. I wonder if the photos were of TT models rather than 00? I dont know what makes me think that, but Triang did produce quite a range at one time.

I have looked through some Triang collectors' websites, but have seen nothing similar so far. However, because the school library book was without a dust jacket I have no idea of the front illustration.

If my dates are right, I'm not sure TT was about then. I also do not think it was a Tri-ang promo item, just someone using their products as illustrations for something else railway-oriented for very young readers. I share your frustration, but bet someone on RMWeb knows a bit more - there are plenty of members older than us!

I can't recall the book as you describe it, but I do have a book in a smaller format. It is a softback, titled "Triang Railways, the first 10 years".

It was published by Rovex Scale Models in 1962, and had a Catalogue No, RT.208. It is a most interesting book, containg chapters on the factory, the products, Layout Design, Scenery, etc. It contains many photos, both black & white and colour and also Servicing Sheets for the various chassis.

gresley

(1955-56) If my dates are right, I'm not sure TT was about then. ......

TT must have been about well before '57 as my father swopped all our Hornby 3 rail for TT at W&H and set up a TT layout at home, my parents divorced in '56 and I went to Winchester with my mother in '57.

But the cost of a new Blue Pullman is going to be a heck of a lot more than a third of a week's wages for most people.

Ed

Apologies, that was off-topic. Are you sure that this book was foolscap? I've got a few old books with similar content, but they are only A5 or thereabouts.

TT must have been about well before '57 as my father swopped all our Hornby 3 rail for TT at W&H and set up a TT layout at home, my parents divorced in '56 and I went to Winchester with my mother in '57.

According to Ramseys British Model Trains catalogue, TT wasn't produced by Triang until 1957 but there had been experiments with TT from the 1930's. Rokal imported TT into Britain in 1951 which revived interest in the British market.

The Tri-ang TT range appeared in 1957. At first, with a brown version of the Standard 00 track, later a TT version of series 3. The TT range always had the tension lock couplings, which only infected the 00 range in 1959. (Is this the worst ever coupling?) I removed the hook from one end of all my TT vehicles.

I regret I have no knowledge of the book beyond my first thought of the "First 10 years". My bibles at the time were the works of Edward Beal and E.F. Carter. I had "Modelling the Old Time Railways" out on almost permanent loan from my local library.

In http://www.tri-angra.../Miscellany.htm - a collection of illustrations - there's a B... P......at a price of 97s 6d (spoken ninety seven and six - £4.88 in decimal)

[Edit] That's just under a third of the average weekly wage in 1962

That's for the set including track. The individual units were rather cheaper than this. Around £3/10/- IIRC. (Not a bad investment, seeing what they sell for now!)

Well, if it was '57, then we must have left Marlybone late '57, because I really do remember the TT stuff (a jinty....) , but how that fitted in domestically I don't know because both parents are dead now.

Yes, it was 1957 (and I always thought it was slightly later). I remember my folks bought me TT stuff. I hated it as my brother modelled in OO and couldn't see the point in it (the TT)! I liked the A1A A1A (later type 31) but it had weird cut off middle wheels............

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

I think the book might be entitled

"The Boys Book of Model Railways" by Ernest F Carter (I think he was or became editor of Model Railway Constructor) and published by Burke Publishing.

It was printed in July 1958, again in 1958 & twice in 1959, once each 1960, 1961 & 1963. So very popular.

Several people selling this on eBay, mostly with red covers, my copy is as you describe and without a dust jacket too.

The first few photos are of TT, but mostly Hornby Dublo, Tri-ang OO & some O gauge.

Not actually a bad book for its day. What I liked about it most was a realistic chapter entitled "Planning your layout in practice". This had "proper track plans", not toy set track types.

Hope this helps you.

Kevin Martin

Yes, it was 1957 (and I always thought it was slightly later). I remember my folks bought me TT stuff. I hated it as my brother modelled in OO and couldn't see the point in it (the TT)! I liked the A1A A1A (later type 31) but it had weird cut off middle wheels............

Best, Pete.

So does the 00 version. Someting to do with going around 1.5 chain tramway curves I suspect.

• RMweb Premium

Mine still do, if given their head, but the right controller tames them! :D

You mean you don't still use the battery controller. Used 3x 4.5v bell batteries.

3 positions: OFF, Forward full speed, Reverse full speed. Nothing else!

Keith

Archived