Heljan Kestrel is here

Guest Phil

Visited Penketh Model Rly Centre (Warrington) yesterday for some Wills paving - came home with a Kestrel !! (christmas present from mrs !!)

I saw the real thing twice, first time in 68 (maybe 69) whilst at school - she was northbound out of Wigan on the WCML, on a long passenger test train - one lad in class shouted "KESTREL", we rushed to the window - that was it - we were all in detention !!! Second time, a few years later she was parked outside crewe diesel depot with windows boarded up and "sold to Russia" (or similar) placards on the side.

As one poster has stated - the most beautiful "box on wheels" ever built. If she was to run today her visual design is still bang on. Daft (but nice) chocolate & cream colour scheme though. I gave her a quick run before laying her up for christmas. She pulled 15 lima Mk 1's at a nice speed - impressed. Quiet too, and the flywheel(s) make her run sooo smooth. The lit headcode boxes a bit bright, but I can live with that. I think the spare bufferbeam (to allow plug in coupling) a good idea - but if you want a coupling each end, some of the fine detail will have to go. Perhaps a second spare unfitted beam should be supplied - anyway she is a beaut. A tad to late for my 1960's steam / green diesel era, but that's where modellers licence comes in.

Well done Heljan.

Apollo

D0270 Taurus?

Any evidence that D0270 and / or TAURUS were actually carried? (... for that matter, yours is the first intimation I've seen that the number D0270 was allocated).

The photo in my 1962 Ian Allan Combined Volume shows an un-numbered / unnamed loco.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Any evidence that D0270 and / or TAURUS were actually carried? (... for that matter, yours is the first intimation I've seen that the number D0270 was allocated).

The photo in my 1962 Ian Allan Combined Volume shows an un-numbered / unnamed loco.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi John,

I don??™t know if we are referring to the same loco, but I was referring to the one-off diesel prototype D0270 Taurus, and the only info I can find is an article about it by Monty Wells in the April 1984 edition of Railway Modeller, page 152. To summarise, Monty relates both his own research and the anecdote from a curator at York Railway museum, about how a fragment from its engine/generator drive coupling as it shattered, took a piece of Christmas cake out of a watching signalman??™s hand just as he was about to bite into it, with the result that he bit his fingers instead! It turned out that the curator was in fact that signalman.

The article relates that Brush had obtained a prototype 3200 hp Maybach ME1200 series engine, and placed it in a redundant bodyshell obtained from English Electric from their own cancelled Super Deltic project. The number D0270 was issued and the project authorised by BR on the 18th December 1962. Monty then goes on to say that the engine was later named Taurus, ???which helped to hide the dents in the engine room panelling that the drive coupling had made.??? He goes on to relate how the engine later disintegrated while travelling light engine from Loughborough to Derby in the dead of night, and was towed back to Loughborough where the engine was found to beyond repair, the project being eventually abandoned.

I would be grateful if anyone else has any info on this as it does seem to be ???the one that got away???. Cheers.

James Raven

Taurus was a Yorkshire Engine 0-8-0 shunter prototype tested on BR. There was a similar looking 0-6-0 called Janus, again tested on BR.

Well - that was the one that I was thinking of; the April Fool anecdote had completely passed me by.

My faith is restored - the ABC 'Bible' was infallible !! ;)

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi John

Taurus was a Yorkshire Engine 0-8-0 shunter prototype tested on BR. There was a similar looking 0-6-0 called Janus, again tested on BR.

Hi James

As noted in your post the Monty Wells article was April 1984:unsure:.......there never was an D0270 Taurus. :rolleyes:

Edit....Pete beat me to it:huh:

I have often thought about making Taurus, might do it one day. I think Monty Wells said it was in a coffee and cream livery, which was nice.I dont think I have the April issue any more but it looked like a 50 was used as the basis.

cheers

Shane

I have often thought about making Taurus ...

If anyone wants to build the TAURUS that did exist, then the following link might be of assistance :-

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge

(Just over halfway down).

I have to say I'm tempted - after all, it'd be a great companion for 11001 and 10800 on the Highbridge branch !! ;)

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I'm back, after trying those settings, John. I have to report that using the "constant dim" settings in CVs 49 and 50 failed, and resulted in a constant flickering instead. I reverted to the defaults for those CVs.

Can I suggest you reset the decoder back to defaults and then try the settings again?

Nice collection there Kiwitrains.

My order of preference would be Kestrel, Lion, Deltic and Lion. Lion doesn't do much for me, the Deltic only so so, but really like the first and second, contesting for first place really.

Don't own any of them, as priority is building up the needed fleet and the layout.

Regards, Michel

• RMweb Gold

My order of preference would be Kestrel, Lion, Deltic and Lion. Lion doesn't do much for me, the Deltic only so so, but really like the first and second, contesting for first place really.

Don't own any of them, as priority is building up the needed fleet and the layout.

Regards, Michel

Now then Michel ;) - Lion looked fabulous as it made its shining white way through a myriad of grubby steam and diesel locos, and it was kept remarkably clean in its short life.

I chipped my Kestrel last night. I wanted full and independent control of both headcode boxes and both sets of red lights. To that end I fitted an NCE DA-SR decoder, completely gutting out the factory board. I had not seen the info on lowering the light intensity but as I put the model on the track to check that I'd gotten the direction right and the polarity right on the red LEDs, I noted said red LEDs were laser beam bright and that the little surface mount resistor on the LED's board got hot enough in seconds to scorch my fingers. I thought This Is Bad and fitted a 470 ohm resistor in series to each light - the small resistors do not even get warm to the touch now. The NCE decoder has 1K ohm resistors on board for LEDs but I didn't try them...because I'd forgotten they were there until after I'd finished :blink:

Anyway, looks good, runs good...I like it!

Regards, Michel

Now then Michel ;) - Lion looked fabulous as it made its shining white way through a myriad of grubby steam and diesel locos, and it was kept remarkably clean in its short life.

Hi Mike,

Just noticed my error, mentioning Lion twice in the order, and omitting Falcon. Falcon is my least favorite. So it should have read

My order of preference would be Kestrel, Lion, Deltic and Falcon. Falcon doesn't do much for me, the Deltic only so so, but really like the first and second, both contesting for first place really.

Lion looks indeed stunning in her white coat. Beyond believe it got cut up so quickly. Same for Kestrel as well, even tough its life was somewhat longer and stretched into Russia.

Aplogies for the stupid mistake.

Regards, Michel

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Just noticed my error, mentioning Lion twice in the order, and omitting Falcon. Falcon is my least favorite. So it should have read

Lion looks indeed stunning in her white coat. Beyond believe it got cut up so quickly. Same for Kestrel as well, even tough its life was somewhat longer and stretched into Russia.

Aplogies for the stupid mistake.

Regards, Michel

Hi Michel.

No need to apologise - we all have our own favourites :) As it happens 'Kestrel' was the one I didn't see and I don't think I would have been impressed - but one never knows.

'Lion' had the advantage - in some ways - of a short life and not finishing up with the kind of living death that 'Falcon' suffered as its failures grew more frequent and its uniqueness and lack of spares kept it out of traffic - a sad end really.

That's the whole point - they're were exclusively eastern but I've had to bend the space time continum to justify getting one and Falcon and Kestrel and a pair of Claytons and for an SR late 1970's layout (Modeller's licence :D )

They were however regular visitors to Hither Green on X-London freight. I also have a photo taken from the top of one of the HG yard lighting towers (circa 1965) with a D82xx and a Class 20 in the yard !!

As Southernman46 says, class 15s, together with many other "non-Southern" classes, made regular appearances on cross-London and transfer freights. There are very few diesel classes one cannot justify (and without using their "Modeller's Licence"!) for use on a London area BR(SR) layout. The only ones that come to mind are classes 17 and 27, although I do have a picture (in a book) of a double-headed freight with a class 25 and a class 27 (D5183 and D5381, respectively) well into SR territory. I'm not too sure if Falcon, Lion, Kestrel, Deltic or DP2 ever got onto Southern metals but that hasn't stopped me buying Falcon, Deltic and Kestrel, to date!! My poor Modellers Licence is getting rather frayed around the edges!! ? :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Can't believe anyone on here does not have one yet, if two total BR Standard steam nuts like me and Ramrig have them what's your excuse?

Get one while you can, there's only 4000 of 'em (I'd phone Gareth at Trains4U, he needs a boost following the break-in at the weekend)

Can't believe anyone on here does not have one yet, if two total BR Standard steam nuts like me and Ramrig have them what's your excuse?

Get one while you can, there's only 4000 of 'em (I'd phone Gareth at Trains4U, he needs a boost following the break-in at the weekend)

Must confess, but I don't own a Deltic, Kestrel, Falcon or Lion.

Even with ditching the Shedcombe-upon-Frome TMD layout plans, in favour of something fully prototypical to a large extend, based in the SW, and pictured in 4-5 specific separate running years between 1970 and now, non of these qualify to make an appearance, even how pretty they are.

I have to be firm and focussed, and not buy any of them !!!!

Regards, Michel

I finally received my Kestrel today and such a lovely beast it is. I opened the box at the dining table with my 6 year old daughter.

Daughter: Are you going to show mum.

Me: No, mum is not interested in trains.

Daughter: Are you going to tell her about it.

Me: No, she does not want to know. :P