Hornby November 2010 New Releases Newsletter

Ed-farms

• RMweb Premium

L1 looks nice slightly different production model than the first two. Clear daylight under smokebox, cut away frame nice loco indeed, just waiting for a late crest BR.

Weard....! The green L1 had the return crank forward of the driving wheel boss in the correct position, whereas the black'un has it to the rear. No doubt the model will be correct though...... And yes, its one I've got on order too along with a Hawkie full passenger brake.

L1 looks nice slightly different production model than the first two. Clear daylight under smokebox, cut away frame nice loco indeed, just waiting for a late crest BR.

You could always change the crest.

No, its official name is Javelin. Hornby changed the name to differentiate between this new version and the original model in the authentic livery.

Hi,

Just to say that the trains themselves aren't offically called 'Javelins', they are simply the Class 395's, Southeastern has no plans at present to give the class a name.

The Name 'Javelin' is the name of the shuttle service between St. Pancras and Stratford during the 2012 Olympic games. Everyone calls the trains 'Javelins' after the press got the wrong end of the stick and reported that the trains were called 'Javelins' and not the services.

Simon

No sign of my long awaited EWS Class 90 = Mk3b DVT Virgin 'Pretendolino' train pack.

But then as I wasn't expecting the Mk3a/3b TSO/FO/RFM pack last month I can only but hope that there are 'some surprises' in Hornby's shipping container.

And on another note would it have not been better to have issued the Wrexham and Shropshire Mk3a/3b's in their final livery (to match the already released Class 67 and Mk3b DVT) rather than the intermeadiate (short lived) branded Cargo 'D' blue grey version?

Unless of course the Wrexham and Shropshire branding can be easily removed?

Simon is right. Javelin is the name of the planned Olympic shuttle service to/from Stratford International. The Class 395 doesn't have a class or type name.

The Hornby "Blue Rapier" Train-set is not the same as the regular Hornby Class 395 Train-set or Train-pack. It's a cheaper "RailRoad" version.

There are two different types of extra carriages too; ones designed to go with the regular model and a cheaper version to go with the "Blue Rapier" set.

Regards the livery on the Hornby Olympic set - note the disclaimer that states that the prototype livery hasn't been finalised yet and may differ from what's on the toy train !

There are no extra carriages for it either.

p.s. I use the term "carriages" in a loose sense of course. wink.gif

The Hornby "Blue Rapier" Train-set is not the same as the regular Hornby Class 395 Train-set or Train-pack. It's a cheaper "RailRoad" version.

There are two different types of extra carriages too; ones designed to go with the regular model and a cheaper version to go with the "Blue Rapier" set.

Yup - there's a separate Service Sheets for the two

http://static.Hornby.com/files/hss-345-hitachi-class-395-emu-509.pdf

http://static.Hornby.com/files/hss-357-r1139-blue-rapier-ss-531.pdf

The principle differences are the Railroad version has no interior, a much simplified circuit board with no DCC provision and a simpler coupling system (no close coupling cam).

... How fast does a little tank-engine with 4'7" wheels run? ....

LMS 3FT's of just this type were used on the Broad Street suburban services, onto the LNER GN section, initially with a huge set of close coupled NLR four wheelers, later typically with 6 LMS standard bogie non-corridor coaches, until WWII saw that working suspended. They are recorded as being required to move briskly to keep out of the way of the racehorses, and the opinion I have heard is that they were regularly grafted up to just past the 50mph mark on a non-stop Finsbury Park - Potters Bar service. That's agin the gradient, not bad for a small tankie with a significant load on.

A little disappointed that the WSMR pack has an FO in it as from teh times I have used the service, the FO was less often used than the correct TSO, the 1st class being solely in the buffet car but will still have a pack. I for one am gald they did the blue grey option as the silver \ grey coaches will be around for a while so can be part of the 2011 releases and give us 2 options for our 67+DVT.

• 3 weeks later...

And on another note would it have not been better to have issued the Wrexham and Shropshire Mk3a/3b's in their final livery (to match the already released Class 67 and Mk3b DVT) rather than the intermeadiate (short lived) branded Cargo 'D' blue grey version?

My guess would be that they have chosen the blue-and-grey set because they can do it more accurately. Look at a WSMR-liveried RFM - the window arrangement has been completely altered and it couldn't be modelled acurately without a new tooling.

Archived