Fair enough too,

They are great looking models. Any plans to build something to run them on? 

We had a good trip even had a 20 and a 37 on the Bo Ness. I didn't get to see any 40s though and missed the tour to Buxton by two days. A mate from over here was on it though said it was a great trip.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Peter,

At the moment I have drawings/ plans and sketches for a shed/ depot but that's as far as I've got.  I'm too busy building the locos and it's something that I get a lot of pleasure from so I'm going to continue while I have the momentum.

The piccie of the chopper looks nice... wow Bo'ness in the sun!!!

The 40 tour(s) were excellent and the first I had done since 40118 to Bristol in Dec 1984!!!  Shame I missed you yet again while you were here, perhaps another time.  Keep up with Llanbourne, it's still very much a favourite of mine.

Cheers

Lee

While waiting for some parts for 40152 I made a start on changing another locos front.  The horn grills on the nose of the headcode version were changed for the DJP etch grills that come with their Diesel Loco Detailing set.

Starting with this (headcode discs not cleaned up yet either):

post-4186-0-33383600-1480156115_thumb.jpg

After a quick whizz over with a scalpel and some wet and dry paper the etches are merely glued in place:

post-4186-0-95186500-1480156115_thumb.jpg

The etch horn grills were different in diameter from the JLTRT moulded ones by approx. 0.2mm.  Initially I thought that the difference would not have been noticeable and therefore leave the other one alone.  However, on inspection.... not that lucky!!  So it's off with the second grill too.  I must admit I think as they are not identical anyway it would have looked odd:

post-4186-0-60741000-1480156116_thumb.jpg

Just in case you're about to type... 'You've got one of the grills on wrong'..... the loco is going to be 40024 :)

Right, I should get back to 152 now.

Cheers

Lee 

• 2 weeks later...
Still working away on the 40s..... and hopefully my etches will be here any day now so that I can get the last parts added to 40024, 082 & 152.

I've managed to get 40024 to a point where it could really be made ready for a coat of etch primer, I guess I should start blanking off the window orifices and sealing the cabs!!  However, before I start applying paint I want to add the bolt heads for the name plate.  I won't be putting a plate on but the bolts were so obvious on the named locos... and then the name will be a decal.

post-4186-0-85170900-1481376219_thumb.jpg

Other last remaining parts prior to painting are the kick plates, boiler acccess hatch and the diagonal braces across the radiator grill.

40082 has had the boiler exhaust port surround removed in readiness for a blank to be fitted and will also need some blanks to be fitted on the buffer beam where the steam heat pipe used to be.  I've also filled the boiler pressure relief valve recess too.

post-4186-0-96033500-1481376218_thumb.jpg

The front most axle has been removed just for ease of access but the assembly is all there and has been tested and works well.  Once I know they move freely I remove them and tape the assembly so that it can't slide out. As for 40152, that just needs an etch for the headcode surround and the buffer beam steam heat blank fitted too.

Hopefully the next set of photos will be of blue 40s :)

Cheers

Lee

You are turning into a one man production line.

Another five next week is it ?

As soon as this lot hit the etch spraying stage then I shall be making a start on the next class 40... just to tide me over until the etch-ant has chance to do its thing!! :D

Another busy day and fuelled by the fact my etches arrived to add a little extra detail to the JLTRT class 40.  A big thank you to Pete Harvey for his help in swiftly producing a very nice set of etches for me  :good_mini:

post-4186-0-63247700-1481569712.jpg

So far 40082 has received most of the etches with the boiler exhaust port blanking plate:

post-4186-0-58021700-1481569711_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-67195600-1481569710_thumb.jpg

Then the boiler fuel gauge blanking plates (there is one each side on No 2 end):

post-4186-0-83866900-1481570022_thumb.jpg

Finally the steam heat pipe outlet blank on the buffer beam (this is only 1.5mm diameter):

post-4186-0-87013500-1481570110_thumb.jpg

I then spent several hours removing the headcode box surround, as moulded on the JLTRT cabs:

post-4186-0-10100800-1481569713_thumb.jpg

This was replaced with an etch to represent the metal band that holds the glazing in situ:

post-4186-0-85487300-1481570252_thumb.jpg

I decided I'd finish the day off by completing the cab consoles of 40024 & 082:

post-4186-0-69803400-1481569709_thumb.jpg

Time for a beer me thinks!!!!

(Sorry about the quality of some of the photos but I used the camera on my phone as I was a bit busy :) )

Cheers

Lee

Amongst all the other jobs today getting the locos ready for spraying I finally managed to get the nameplate bolts done on 40024.  These are 0.5mm Hex Plastruct rod and at the moment stand 0.5mm from the loco body side.... I guess this might be about right (from memory) as it will equate to about 22mm bolt head depth on the real thing.  If you know exactly what they were please feel free to post here. Anyway, here's a couple of pics:

post-4186-0-07338000-1481660084_thumb.jpg

Looking along the bodyside:

post-4186-0-84174200-1481660084_thumb.jpg

Last bit of work to do tomorrow is clean the bodywork, blank off the windows.  Then I can start spraying!! :)

Cheers

Lee

While my other 40's are drying following a coat of etch primer, I figured I should get those that were 'complete' running smoothly in anticipation of a run out which I've been invited to.  Most of the day has been spent fettling the locos and checking their running over two peco points and bending some flexitrack into a radius to ascertain the minimum curve that they can negotiate.  Initially when running they all had a terrible squeak that emanated from the pony wheel... nothing a blob of oil couldn't sort out.  They now run so quiet and smooth.

Once all complete they posed for a piccie (40126, 009, 060 & 118):

post-4186-0-87279200-1481906846_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

While my other 40's are drying following a coat of etch primer, I figured I should get those that were 'complete' running smoothly in anticipation of a run out which I've been invited to.  Most of the day has been spent fettling the locos and checking their running over two peco points and bending some flexitrack into a radius to ascertain the minimum curve that they can negotiate.  Initially when running they all had a terrible squeak that emanated from the pony wheel... nothing a blob of oil couldn't sort out.  They now run so quiet and smooth.

Once all complete they posed for a piccie (40126, 009, 060 & 118):

Cheers
Lee

Hi Lee,

All looking good mate - the speed at which your building these is exemplary .. had you been around in the 1960s, Vulcan Foundry could have taken you on!    As inspirational as ever ... I'm moving ever closer towards taking the plunge on something like this, although not a big 40 kit!  Seem to have convinced myself to go for a brass wagon kit, following which a JLTRT coach kit may well follow!

I keep reading and admiring the skill you have.  Hopefully it won't be too long now before the track work that has been built goes down on Marsh Lane, and things can move forward!

There really is something about those four 40s all lined up!

Rich

Hi Lee,

All looking good mate - the speed at which your building these is exemplary .. had you been around in the 1960s, Vulcan Foundry could have taken you on!    As inspirational as ever ... I'm moving ever closer towards taking the plunge on something like this, although not a big 40 kit!  Seem to have convinced myself to go for a brass wagon kit, following which a JLTRT coach kit may well follow!

I keep reading and admiring the skill you have.  Hopefully it won't be too long now before the track work that has been built goes down on Marsh Lane, and things can move forward!

There really is something about those four 40s all lined up!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the compliments!  However, I guess like anything else it's just down to practice... I think I have now just about got the hang of building the JLTRT 40's though :D

I do keep popping in on Marsh Lane and watch with envy how you have taken so quickly to track building.... something I'd like to have a go at myself.

I do have another class 40 finished, not shown in the photo, as if I tried to put them all in a line they wouldn't fit in my kitchen!!

Thanks for commenting, it's always nice to see peoples posts here.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

Super line up, and nice work on the rivet detail for the nameplates, I did it on my 4mm 012 a right pain and still over scale. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thank you.  I have to admit that adding the bolt detail wasn't at all difficult once I had a template for their positions.  I have never noticed that you did that detailing on 012... I should look closer next time!!

Cheers

Lee

Hi Peter,

Thank you.  I have to admit that adding the bolt detail wasn't at all difficult once I had a template for their positions.  I have never noticed that you did that detailing on 012... I should look closer next time!!

Cheers

Lee

Hi Peter great work can I ask what did you use for the template for name plate bolt detail 

Hi Peter,

Cheers

Lee

Don't look too close the rivets are to big and the nameplate which I made up from individual transfers is too big as well. It was done years ago though and I could do better these days.

Cheers Peter.

Don't look too close the rivets are to big and the nameplate which I made up from individual transfers is too big as well. It was done years ago though and I could do better these days.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

For the 7mm locos I've used 0.5mm Hex Plastruct rod, so in 4mm I guess something 'almost' half the size - that's pretty tough to do I guess!   The bolts I have made protrude 0.5mm from the side of the loco, which equates to a 22mm deep bolt head (approximately).

Cheers

Lee

• 4 weeks later...

Archived