• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

Nice to see you still popping by to watch my modelling calamities :D

Cheers

Lee

Well it is a welcome relief to see a minor calamity after the builder/plumber/chippy/roofer/sparky show me theirs half way through the work we seem to need endlessly doing  :jester:

When Steph split the axles for my 47, he split the geared axles twice just inboard of the bearings.

I am using an ABC motor bogie on each of the locos.

As I'm building an ex GW branch, they will only be pulling a couple of coaches or a hand full of wagons. However, I believe if the loco is weighted and balanced properly it should pull a few Heljan mk1s! So, I only need to split the trailing bogie axles. I will try and post a photo of the axles on my now sold 47!!

So, the driven axle shows the cuts to allow the gear wheel not to short the axle. The centre axle shows the single cut through the middle. The axles were also bored out and a fibre glass rod inserted for added strength. 

Hope this is of help :-)

post-19951-0-74270100-1464340540.png

PS: Doncaster is a bit of a trek now days, I usually only manage Reading, but may go to Bristol next year :-)

Thanks for posting the pic Grumps.  Sadly, I don't think I could use that method at all with the Roxey wheelsets.

Pity about Doncaster, oh well I guess there will be other times to catch up with you.

Cheers

Lee

Despite the minor set-back with the spilt axle fiasco I've managed quite a bit more on 40060.

As 060 was one of the headcode disc modified locos to a central headcode box the remainder of the doorway needs to be added.  Nothing that a bit of plastruct and some filler couldn't cope with:

post-4186-0-27156200-1464815514_thumb.jpg

No. 2 end

post-4186-0-23321900-1464815520_thumb.jpg

No. 1 end

You will notice the pipework is a little different too, the arrangement of which I have taken from photos that I had.  It took a little bit of time to get this right especially those that will be draped over the foot steps (yet to be added).  Additionally, something a little different too, I have added the cab partitions as fitted to the original loco that acted to help combat against drafts.

In this build I have also just gone full steam ahead and added the air cylinders above the boiler water tanks.  These will be sprayed along with the under-frame and as the loco was in a rather dirty state I have not found a picture of the loco in its later years where any white was visible:

post-4186-0-56376000-1464815521_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Cheers

Lee

Just a thought but some of the Haymarket 40's in the D26x group had headcode boxes with square rather than rounded corners. I've always assumed this was done at St.Rollox as the rebuilt North British type 2's had headcode boxes to the same pattern. I don't know if this applied to D260 (40060) itself.

John.

Nice work on 40060. doing the remainder of the door is something I might have to do to the Bachmann loco when it comes out. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

In my opinion it is certainly worth adding this detail to the front as it distinguishes the body type from those of the 40145 - 199 type (along with the nose top handles).  How noticeable it will be in 4mm I don't know though.

That photo reminds me of seeing the locos at the breakers yard :-)

Hi Grumps,

Yes I thought that too after I had taken it.  Not a nice memory at all :(

Just a thought but some of the Haymarket 40's in the D26x group had headcode boxes with square rather than rounded corners. I've always assumed this was done at St.Rollox as the rebuilt North British type 2's had headcode boxes to the same pattern. I don't know if this applied to D260 (40060) itself.

John.

Hi John,

Some of the Haymarket 40's did indeed have square headcode boxes which they retained throughout their BR service days.  However, 060 was modified again (not 100% certain of the date) and was given the rounded corners to the headcode.

See here for her as D260 with a square headcode

post-4186-0-78940000-1464878872_thumb.jpg

(Photo taken by: Grahame Wareham, Millerhill 1970)

and here's one of mine taken in 1984:

post-4186-0-96907900-1464878706_thumb.jpeg

Those that kept their square corners were: 40062 (Had all yellow headcode box front), 063, 064 & 066.

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee, I will certainly give it a go. Looks like 060 lost the Multiple working pipework quite early on too judging by the holes in the bufferbeam and lack of pipework on the bogie sides.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Lee, I will certainly give it a go. Looks like 060 lost the Multiple working pipework quite early on too judging by the holes in the bufferbeam and lack of pipework on the bogie sides.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I think all the HA allocated 40's had the same treatment, I guess they saw no requirement for it in Scotland. Talking of HA allocated 40s... have you seen this.. 40168 to Kyle:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35663521@N04/3312769784

Read the photo comments..... awesome!!

Cheers

Lee

Hi Peter,

I think all the HA allocated 40's had the same treatment, I guess they saw no requirement for it in Scotland. Talking of HA allocated 40s... have you seen this.. 40168 to Kyle:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35663521@N04/3312769784

Read the photo comments..... awesome!!

Cheers

Lee

Oh wow,

Thanks Lee, that's a very interesting read. I remember hearing stories of loco's being a fix from back in the day. I never got the gen though I had a mate who worked at Salisbury and if there was a spare Crompton in the bay he would try and fail a class 50 so the Crompton would work the train, then he would go out on it after work.

Cheers Peter.

A little work on the underframe detailing....

I've managed to add the pipework along the air cylinders above the boiler water tank.  Some bit are slightly 'larger' than they should be but hey never mind.  The general impression is there:

post-4186-0-61299900-1465316196_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-93433500-1465316197_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-76349900-1465316199_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-20157400-1465316201_thumb.jpg

The black wire (drain to track) was merely plonked on to see how it all looked, I think you get the general idea :)  They will be removed for the coat of etch primer.

Thanks for looking in

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lee,

Thanks for that - wasn't fishing for compliments(!) but thats very kind of you.  Although I think your 40 takes more skill!

As for box brownie hehe ... i'll refrain from commenting ;)  :dontknow:

Rich

Nice build Lee. Just out of interest,are you dcc'ing your locos? Reason I ask is that I was speaking to a chap demoing at DEMU last weekend, about his JLTRT builds. I was quite surprised when he said no thought had been given to sound or light installation.I was quite surprised to learn this. Thought they would be better thought out than Heljans efforts!

• RMweb Premium

Nice build Lee. Just out of interest,are you dcc'ing your locos? Reason I ask is that I was speaking to a chap demoing at DEMU last weekend, about his JLTRT builds. I was quite surprised when he said no thought had been given to sound or light installation.I was quite surprised to learn this. Thought they would be better thought out than Heljans efforts!

The JLTRT models are just Kits, and I say that with the greatest respect for them, but they are just that, Kits.

Any extra stuff you want to throw at them has to be thought out from scratch and added as you go, which in fact if you are planning on making them with extras makes them even more interesting to build.

Hi Lee,

David has pretty much nailed it.  Yeah they are kits but with a little thought adding lights, which I have done on all my builds so far, isn't difficult at all.

As for adding sound, well there's lots of empty space in my 40's which would easily take a large ported speaker plus XL4.  You could even probably get a bar and a grand piano in there too  :jester:

How are you getting on with your 37????

Cheers

Lee

The JLTRT models are just Kits, and I say that with the greatest respect for them, but they are just that, Kits.

Any extra stuff you want to throw at them has to be thought out from scratch and added as you go, which in fact if you are planning on making them with extras makes them even more interesting to build.

Hi David. Yes I guess the experience could be described as interesting, but when looking at batch building, a little bit more thought at the design stage would have saved a lot of constructional time during the builds.

Hi Lee,

David has pretty much nailed it.  Yeah they are kits but with a little thought adding lights, which I have done on all my builds so far, isn't difficult at all.

As for adding sound, well there's lots of empty space in my 40's which would easily take a large ported speaker plus XL4.  You could even probably get a bar and a grand piano in there too  :jester:

How are you getting on with your 37????

Cheers

Lee

Still in the box mate. Currently working on a load of customer 7mm projects. Will be an age before I can get to it unfortunately.

Still in the box mate. Currently working on a load of customer 7mm projects. Will be an age before I can get to it unfortunately.

Oh that's a shame... I was looking forward to watching one being built by a professional  :good:

Cheers

Lee

Archived