• 1 month later...
It's been rather a long time since I updated this thread but after 6 coats of blue, 40060 emerges from the paint shop:

post-4186-0-88101000-1468601419_thumb.jpg

Rather than spray all the bogies and underframe a nice satin black then leaving it like that for a while as I admire my handy work, I figured I'd just get on with the weathering. This also allows me some time to experiment and try things out, if it doesn't go right then it'll be a case of out with the satin black spray again :D Using a few photos that I have I made a start on the chassis, boiler water tanks and the bogie side frame.:

post-4186-0-50683800-1468601420_thumb.jpg

The bogie frame weathering is only really at stage 1, I think there will be several stages as when looking at pictures it would seem there is a multitude of shades, colours and textures to them. My next stage is to attempt to replicate the grease and oil that seems to be dominant on the inboard half of both bogies. This seems quite prolific on the boiler water tank too!!

Cheers

Lee

Funny that...I jumped straight in with Matt black on the Hymek bogies! I do enjoy a bit of weathering :-) I'm sure you'll make a great job of it !

Hi Grumps,

I think Heather Kay has it right..... add 'brown' gunk to the black prior to spraying.  That way you have a head start on the weathering and looking at the results demostrate (as shown on the latest RMB), it's definitely the best way forward for a non-exworks loco.

Lovely finish on the body Lee.....

Hi David,

Thank you. Oh ... you mean the loco  :jester:

.....as for the weathering, go on....do your worst (or best as the case may be   :yes: ).

I'm trying!!!  I'm just a little stuck on how to replicate the oil/ grease on the leaf and helical springs, but then make that look different to the oil/ fuel spills on the boiler water tank.

Cheers

Lee

A busy morning... after finally taking the plunge and started weathering I have to confess that I rather enjoyed ruining all my previous hard work in achieving a pristine spray finish :D

First lamb to the slaughter, the bogie side frames. As I mentioned earlier it seems that the bogies became darker and oilier in appearance the further inboard of the loco that you got. Anyway here's what I've achieved:

post-4186-0-43694700-1468677912_thumb.jpg

Then time to start the boiler water tank, I think this pic was taken after the first stage of weathering applying a thinned coat to 'taint' most of the tank:

post-4186-0-96229000-1468677907_thumb.jpg

With that lot drying I made a start at assembling the underframe components again, hoping that my efforts at weathering once altogether might look ok. Bogie No 1 went together well, except I really need to give the wheels a quick whizz over with some underframe dirt or something like that as they now stand out like the proverbial thumb!!

post-4186-0-64959500-1468677908_thumb.jpg

On my last build, and in fact during this one, I wondered why on earth JLTRT provide long machine screws for fixing the bogie pivot plate. Yes the long screws stop the main fixing from dropping out once in place but getting into this once assembled to tighten the bogie bolt up is impossible. So I bought some shorter machine screws:

post-4186-0-35861000-1468677909_thumb.jpg

Right, that's enough of my waffling. Here's what it all looks like together:

post-4186-0-39096400-1468677910_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-65557800-1468677911_thumb.jpg

Once the body has dried solid I shall get on with replacing all the handrails (there's loads too :( ) and make a start on getting a few coats of varnish on it prior to decals.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

Very nice effects there! I particularly like the way you have made the inboard end more 'oily' what brew did you use on the springs in the end?

Also, for what it's worth, with diesels, I spray the wheels black as you have, then whilst still slightly wet, just brush on Railmatch frame dirt with a little thinners, and it blends to a pleasing effect. I'm just having fun painting the Hymek yellow axle boxes.....

Edit for iPhone rubbish auto spell....

I particularly like the way you have made the inboard end more 'oily' what brew did you use on the springs in the end?

Also, for what it's worth, with diesels, I spray the wheels black as you have, then whilst still slightly wet, just brush on Railmatch frame dirt with a little thinners, and it blends to a pleasing effect.

Hi Grumps,

Thank you, the oily mix was Metalcote 27004 Gunmetal and Humbrol light grey, matt 64 for the bogies..... for the water tank I added some blue into the mix too.

My wheels are always chemically blackened but I'm sure a waft with the airbrush will do nicely.... I may even give them a thinned coat of the oil mix too.

Cheers

Lee 

Oh wow,

Thanks Lee, that's a very interesting read. I remember hearing stories of loco's being a fix from back in the day. I never got the gen though I had a mate who worked at Salisbury and if there was a spare Crompton in the bay he would try and fail a class 50 so the Crompton would work the train, then he would go out on it after work.

Cheers Peter.

Speaking of fixes, when I used to work in Derby PSB back in 2001, an old driver friend of mine rang me from his mobile whilst driving a Northbound Birmingham to Liverpool Lime Street working, he was a New Street driver that I'd got to know when I first started out with Railtrack in 1998 and was given a cab pass for a day.

Anyway back to the tale, he rang me just after he'd left Crewe to complain that he'd been let out behind a stopping service, speaking with Trevor who used to work on the TRUST desk at the back of the box 

4894467856_de7eb3df67.jpgTrevor by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

I was able to work out which service the stopper was and obtain a headcode. my next phone call was to the next box cable of putting the stopper inside (I can't remember the box now sadly) I explained to the bobby on duty that I was ringing him from North West zone control and could he loop the stopper to allow the Class one past. The bobby complied with my request and my mate rang me from Lime Street to say he'd arrived 10 minutes early.... :onthequiet:

.....going back to the bogie fixing bolt, I soldered mine in to the pivot plate you then only need to tighten the securing nut in the body cavity:-)

I did think about doing that and then figured all the heat needed to fix the bolt would only undo the soldering to make the bracket.  My crazy logic!!! (heavily swayed by lack of soldering know-how :D ). 

Peter,

I forgot to post these pics for you last week after the East Lancs Summer Gala..... not much sun tho :(

attachicon.gif40135 Heywood 08 Jul 2016.jpg

attachicon.gif40106 Bury 08 Jul 2016.jpg

attachicon.gif40145 Rawtenstall 09 Jul 2016.jpg

I took this one just for you!!

attachicon.gif40106 Ramsbottom 08 Jul 2016.jpg

Cheers

Lee

Ha ha a Peak, thanks Mate.

Did you get it in or just stay on the 40s the whole day. lol

Looks like you had a good day, I am running out of free days to get to the East Lancs this time round but it still might happen I will let you know.

Cheers Peter. 

Ha ha a Peak, thanks Mate.

Did you get it in or just stay on the 40s the whole day. lol

Looks like you had a good day, I am running out of free days to get to the East Lancs this time round but it still might happen I will let you know.

Cheers Peter. 

You're welcome, I thought you'd like that!!

Wash your mouth out.... get off a 40 and onto a peak...... oh good heavens  :nono:

With regards to you having a day out... well if it happens, it happens, if you do not have time it's not a problem as I'm sure your schedule gets pretty packed when you're here... it's not like popping around the corner now is it :D

Cheers

Lee

Finally,I plucked up the courage and managed to get 40118 weathered whilst I wait for the varnish to dry on 060 :)

post-4186-0-02566600-1469028826_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-49795800-1469028827_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-75047600-1469028828_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-80382600-1469028829_thumb.jpg

Still a lot to learn about weathering me thinks, I'll do better on the next one.

Cheers

Lee

It looks great.....stop fishing for complements :-)

Doesn't he though....such a Diva  

:laugh:

No seriously, there's a few bit's I'm not that happy with.  But it was quite a learning curve as I'd only tried to weather a cl33 bodyshell before, something I bought off Ebay to trial.... I can't seem to get the hang of making the vertical oil streaks.  So if anyone has any info that will help I'd be very grateful as I really need to work that out before I can weather 060 as the loco was covered in them.

Thank you for the kind words all the same  :good:

Cheers

Lee 

• RMweb Premium

I tend to use a gloss colour applied sparingly with brush and then dry brushed down the body until the paint applied is well spread to almost faded.......it is a darn sight easier to do than describe!  :paint:

Archived