• RMweb Gold

Lovely piccies there, wish I had known as we are now "down'ear" in Pastyland.......and only a few miles from some great views of the GWR metals.

Is there a web site that lists movements that can be relied upon, I feel a bit of train spotting action is required.

Hi,

In addition to those two websites, there is also Railway Herald (www.railwayherald.com/railtours) which lists all charters in one place.

Also realtimetrains.co.uk - go into search, detailed and then put in your nearest location in the top left box, select 0000-2359 from the times box and then the date you want, any special workings usually show as STP paths so easy to pick them up and you can keep checking it as it reports trains in real time as to where they are! That shows charters, test trains, freight etc... need to know what your looking at but there is SWRG on yahoogroups that generally flags up all interesting movements in the South West. All of those are free to use!

If you need any help or get stuck, shoot me a PM.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Jim, brilliant......thanks for the info, I hate it to find out something interesting was running just 10 minutes away now!

Having read this, you really do need to subscribe to SWRG!  Its a free email list, so easy to manage.  Have a look at http://www.tauntontrains.co.uk/SWRG-PAGE.htm and if you've never come across these email gen groups before that gives you some background and links to quite a few of them.  But there is a link in the middle to SWRG that will take you to the group page so you can sign up if you wish - if you already have a Yahoo! account you can just sign in and subscribe with that, if not, its a quick task (and free again!) to create one.

Sorry to hijack the thread Lee!  Love your blue line up of 20s and 40s ... once my shed is up and running, you'll have to come over for a running/photo session!  Haven't forgotten the PM i need to reply to btw!

Rich

Having read this, you really do need to subscribe to SWRG!  Its a free email list, so easy to manage.  Have a look at http://www.tauntontrains.co.uk/SWRG-PAGE.htm and if you've never come across these email gen groups before that gives you some background and links to quite a few of them.  But there is a link in the middle to SWRG that will take you to the group page so you can sign up if you wish - if you already have a Yahoo! account you can just sign in and subscribe with that, if not, its a quick task (and free again!) to create one.

Sorry to hijack the thread Lee!  Love your blue line up of 20s and 40s ... once my shed is up and running, you'll have to come over for a running/photo session!  Haven't forgotten the PM i need to reply to btw!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Ahh a running day would be good.  Just let me know.

No problem posting the gen here... thank you!!

Reply in your own time, there's no rush!!

Cheers

Lee

• 1 month later...

Good grief I can't believe it's been so long since I posted here..... I had to dig through 7 pages before I found my thread :(  I have been busy with several projects but sadly the ZZA plough has taken a bit of a back seat though.

Well just to prove I've not been idle here's a few pics of the latest builds:

post-4186-0-20231800-1479498709_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-08134500-1479498710_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-42430100-1479498711_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-16566600-1479498712_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-22991400-1479498713_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-24181400-1479498714_thumb.jpg

Sorry but some of the photos aren't of very good quality.  I've been waiting for a decent weather day to take piccies outside but as the winter seems to be upon us I don't think there's much hope of that for sometime.

One nice detail bit that has been added is the fuel contents gauge:

post-4186-0-00075800-1479498708_thumb.jpg

These are Railtec decals which I had made and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with them. Steve did a cracking job creating these from some photos I sent him.  All the decals are Railtec including some cab internal decals and the boiler water tank contents gauge too.  I've been adding all of those decals (where appropriate) to my other 40's too and that includes the boiler fuel contents gauge.

Still a few more locos to build and I shall try to post more often in future :D

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Premium

Hi Lee.......for some reason I cannot view the pictures.......do you use Photobucket as it has been having problems of late?

Good to see you back again, but honestly the modelling projects should take preference to posting in here eh?  :senile:

Hi Lee.......for some reason I cannot view the pictures.......do you use Photobucket as it has been having problems of late?

Good to see you back again, but honestly the modelling projects should take preference to posting in here eh?  :senile:

Hi David,

Hmmm... I'm not sure what happened with the picture visibility so I have just re-loaded them and hopefully that has sorted it out.

Cheers

Lee

Lee

I just wished that you hadn't have done that.......

Excitement this early in the evening.... Now I have to make some excuses ;O)

Well Done .... They look the dog's dodah's

Jim

Sorry Jim :D

Glad you like them.  Keep watching as there's quite a few more on the workbench.  A 'few' more 40's then a few 37's and peaks.

Cheers

Lee

OH bu88er it.........I can see them now........ :O ........wish I hadn't.........how the devil am I going to get anywhere near as real as that, really amazing details there, I love to see the dash gauges.....or would I?  :D

Thank you,  I'm rather pleased with these two.  I shall try to get a piccy of the inside detail at some point.

40181 has the ABC bogie motor and that's why it sits a bit higher.  I need to trim a little off the underside of the loco chassis to get it to sit a bit more like the prototypical height.

Cheers

Lee

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Premium

How do you find the ABC bogie?  I bought one for my 40 and found the main shaft was slightly bent causing a speed "shuttling" effect, sent it back and when returned the main gear on the shaft starting slipping, it's at the bottom of the tool box now waiting for me to get interested again  :no:

How do you find the ABC bogie?  I bought one for my 40 and found the main shaft was slightly bent causing a speed "shuttling" effect, sent it back and when returned the main gear on the shaft starting slipping, it's at the bottom of the tool box now waiting for me to get interested again  :no:

I quite like them, the only thing I'm not keen on is the amount of resin you need to remove from the chassis to fit them.  I guess it's always a trade-off but from what I've seen, and been told, they do provide quite a pulling force for long/ heavy trains.  Once I had got all the resin cut away I used lots of Devcon 2ton and brass to strengthen to underframe.

If you still have problems then I would call Brian at ABC I'm sure he would help you sort anything out as he seems very helpful and rather knowledgeable.  They are not a cheap method of powering a loco so it's a real shame to have it sat at the bottom of the toolbox.

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Premium

I forgot to ask, which 40 are you building?  Do you have any piccies?

Well when I bought it (JLTRT) it was intended to be an ER version which I cabbed with my Uncle on an empty frieghtliner from Peterborough a long time ago, but now I am down here amongst WR irons I have yet to decide!

I only got as far as the running bogies and then lost heart a bit........you now know why  :secret:

Well when I bought it (JLTRT) it was intended to be an ER version which I cabbed with my Uncle on an empty frieghtliner from Peterborough a long time ago, but now I am down here amongst WR irons I have yet to decide!

I only got as far as the running bogies and then lost heart a bit........you now know why  :secret:

Ah, just get your sleeves rolled up and have another go.  After my first JLTRT build (which I did not complete and sold :( ... see 40118 right at the beginning of this thread ) I'm glad I tried again.  I know a loss of mojo is difficult to get over but these kits are soooo rewarding when they are done.  An ER whistler sat on your layout or even mantle piece (or under the TV in my case) are great to look at..... go on, go on,  go on :D

My only regret is that I don't have anywhere to run my locos and I'd love to see them on a garden railway or layout among other locos and stock.  The only time they've turned a wheel is on my rolling-road to make sure they work well :(

Thanks for contributing to this thread, it's nice to have some interaction with people here.

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

post-12217-0-35590500-1479540675_thumb.jpg

Ah, just get your sleeves rolled up and have another go.  After my first JLTRT build (which I did not complete and sold :( ... see 40118 right at the beginning of this thread ) I'm glad I tried again.  I know a loss of mojo is difficult to get over but these kits are soooo rewarding when they are done.  An ER whistler sat on your layout or even mantle piece (or under the TV in my case) are great to look at..... go on, go on,  go on :D

My only regret is that I don't have anywhere to run my locos and I'd love to see them on a garden railway or layout among other locos and stock.  The only time they've turned a wheel is on my rolling-road to make sure they work well :(

Thanks for contributing to this thread, it's nice to have some interaction with people here.

Cheers

If your ever in my area I'm sure Ayr Road can cope with some additional visiting traction......

Heavy frost this morning with 40057 & 99 on shed Brrrrrrrrr

Lee

Hang on a minute. So you haven't posted in a while then you post up pics of Two new 40s.  :O

They look great Lee, looking forwards to your Peak build.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thank you. I became to engrossed in the building rather than posting what I was building :)

I did notice how you had been over here in blighty enjoying a spot of tractor action though :D Hope you enjoyed the Cumbrian coast?... something I keep meaning to do myself.

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Premium

Since moving to Cornwall in January this year all my modelling stuff and stock is still packed away in huge plastic rollatruc boxes, about twenty one of them as my dear Mrs BB points out!  :angel:

We have no garage at the moment and every "still packed" box is sitting in the playroom (my train room as it will be) so not a chance of even test running anything presently as no controllers or test peice of track around, I should really at least try to remedy that as I am still er.........accumulating Locos as and when they pop along to the market place, I have a Pannier/Trailer Coach set, Dapol 08, Heljan Warship, Heljan Deltic and a Dapol Terrier that have appeared already this year at my non exsistant Station  :O , "oh these? they were all pre-orders dearest" as each and everyone waits at the door in the arms of some random delivery driver/postman.  :mosking:

Hmmm, not standing still........ the next couple of 40s are progressing nicely too:

post-4186-0-49868800-1479552244_thumb.jpg

I must remember to file down the engine exhaust ports!!

post-4186-0-80827000-1479552242_thumb.jpg

A bit of workbench mayhem...

post-4186-0-19617600-1479552245_thumb.jpg

Adopting Mr Grumpys method of soldering the bogie fixing bolt to the hinge plate... not the neatest of soldering but it does the job.  The locos are made so that I can switch them to split axle running as soon as I have enough, but in the interim they run with pickups only on one side on opposite bogies.  I guess I should install plunger pickups for the other rail on each bogie too. 

I have often wondered how much weight the JLTRT cl 40 would pull in it's 'as bought' design with the resin bogie chassis and weight added.  Something I shall test to destruction at some point, guessing that the buffer beam will give out first of all.  Maybe the ultimate problem with getting locos to pull heavy loads is getting the traction, i.e getting enough lead weight into the things along with speakers, decoder and smoke generator.  One loco weighs in at 3kg but it's not been tested to see what load it can pull.  Lots to do and ideas to toy with :D

Cheers

Lee

Since moving to Cornwall in January this year all my modelling stuff and stock is still packed away in huge plastic rollatruc boxes, about twenty one of them as my dear Mrs BB points out!  :angel:

We have no garage at the moment and every "still packed" box is sitting in the playroom (my train room as it will be) so not a chance of even test running anything presently as no controllers or test peice of track around, I should really at least try to remedy that as I am still er.........accumulating Locos as and when they pop along to the market place, I have a Pannier/Trailer Coach set, Dapol 08, Heljan Warship, Heljan Deltic and a Dapol Terrier that have appeared already this year at my non exsistant Station  :O , "oh these? they were all pre-orders dearest" as each and everyone waits at the door in the arms of some random delivery driver/postman.  :mosking:

David,

It's been almost a year since you moved to Kernow... and your modelling stuff is STILL packed away  :jester:

I have just looked back at when I started this thread 4 Nov 2010... wow, 6 years, where did they go!!!  Anyway, my point, is that 6 years ago you and Brian  (and many others) were giving me pointers on how to build these locos based on their experience...... and you have still not finished yours :D

Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on... you can do it!!!

Cheers

Lee

Hi Peter,

Thank you. I became to engrossed in the building rather than posting what I was building :)

I did notice how you had been over here in blighty enjoying a spot of tractor action though :D Hope you enjoyed the Cumbrian coast?... something I keep meaning to do myself.

Cheers

Lee

Fair enough too,

They are great looking models. Any plans to build something to run them on? 

We had a good trip even had a 20 and a 37 on the Bo Ness. I didn't get to see any 40s though and missed the tour to Buxton by two days. A mate from over here was on it though said it was a great trip.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-91809900-1479553903_thumb.jpg

Archived