Hello Lee,

it's coming along nicely. I did drill a few holes in the body base to stop any trapped air as seen below.

post-8920-0-57138300-1473172889_thumb.jpg

The cab does take a bit of work, one thing to watch out for is the fit of the plough and the cab, the top of the plough and the apex of the cab roof should line up. IIRC I ended up glueing the plough to the cab front to get the joint right as it has to be in line at the roof and the sides.

OzzyO.

Hello Lee,

it's coming along nicely. I did drill a few holes in the body base to stop any trapped air as seen below.

The cab does take a bit of work, one thing to watch out for is the fit of the plough and the cab, the top of the plough and the apex of the cab roof should line up. IIRC I ended up glueing the plough to the cab front to get the joint right as it has to be in line at the roof and the sides.

OzzyO.

Hi OzzyO,

Shame I didn't get chance to catch up with you at Telford mate.  I was looking forward to that!

Yes, I need to drill a few holes I guess to help the Cyano fumes dissipate.  I noticed how it was easy to get the cab and apex of plough mis-aligned... hopefully that won't happen and with a bit of luck I'm going to get it all stuck this eve.

Cheers

Lee

Looking good Lee.

I have had a look at my 2 kits and must say that  the guys at JLTRT have done another good job of making a very easy to build kit of an interesting prototype, I only hope that mine work out as well as yours.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you.  The kit is not too bad overall.  There are a couple of niggles getting the cabin part together but other than that it's a nice easy kit to build.  I'll be happy once the etch primer is on and I can start adding the top coats.

Cheers

Lee

Starting to get somewhere with the ZZA plough.  After getting some yellow onto the plough it just needs a bit of black applied in places to neaten it up, a bit of a wash after my gloves left some powder on the surface and also to add the black stripes.  I know that Fox Transfers do a decal set for these but I thought I'd have a go at spraying the stripes... just to see if I could do it.  If not then I will strip the paint and redo:

post-4186-0-15099700-1473851245_thumb.jpg

I have an Easybuild Inspection saloon to build and I have been looking for likely candidates to model.  I know that there is one likely candidate: QXV AB999508 as seen on the EasyBuild website.

If anyone can put me in the right direction with the Inspection Saloons that can be built from the Swindon Built BR Mk I then I would be really grateful.

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Premium

Lee,

there were 3 saloons built to 1/552: DB999506/8/9 and all were WR-allocated from new to the mid-80s(ish).

The RTC took 999508 and modified the sides (angled recesses, etc) for use as a track recording vehicle (and since sold into preservation to the WSR for conversion back to an inspection saloon)

Not sure of the status of 6 and 9.

www.departmentals.com has photos of all 3 at various times, Paul Bartlett's site has a couple of photos and (as always) it might be worth looking at Flickr - search by '999506', etc.

The BR 1/552 weight diagram is in one of the diagram books shared on the Barrowmore group's website.

I have an Easybuild Inspection saloon to build and I have been looking for likely candidates to model.  I know that there is one likely candidate: QXV AB999508 as seen on the EasyBuild website.

If anyone can put me in the right direction with the Inspection Saloons that can be built from the Swindon Built BR Mk I then I would be really grateful.

Cheers
Lee

Lee,

there were 3 saloons built to 1/552: DB999506/8/9 and all were WR-allocated from new to the mid-80s(ish).

The RTC took 999508 and modified the sides (angled recesses, etc) for use as a track recording vehicle (and since sold into preservation to the WSR for conversion back to an inspection saloon)

Not sure of the status of 6 and 9.

www.departmentals.com has photos of all 3 at various times, Paul Bartlett's site has a couple of photos and (as always) it might be worth looking at Flickr - search by '999506', etc.

The BR 1/552 weight diagram is in one of the diagram books shared on the Barrowmore group's website.

Hi Alan,

Thank you ever so much for your help, it is very much appreciated.  As soon as I start the build I shall post pics here so you can keep me on the straight and narrow!

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Premium

I remembered I'd posted on Brian Daniels' 7mm w/b thread when he was doing a saloon.

Mainly contains a link to the Barrowmore site but there are more details in the thread as well as Brian's amazing kitbuilding:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1458-brians-7mm-diesel-workbench-4tc-conversion/page-74&do=findComment&comment=1175743

I remembered I'd posted on Brian Daniels' 7mm w/b thread when he was doing a saloon.

Mainly contains a link to the Barrowmore site but there are more details in the thread as well as Brian's amazing kitbuilding:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1458-brians-7mm-diesel-workbench-4tc-conversion/page-74&do=findComment&comment=1175743

Hi Keefer,

Thank you for posting the link to the Barrowmore site and also to Brians thread on here relevant to the Inspection Saloon.  I remembered him building one of these but never could find the part of his builds that shows it... he makes it look so straight forward too!!

Cheers

Lee

A weekend off from loco building and instead a little Wizzo action....

D1015, south bound at Plymouth:

post-4186-0-49330200-1474199189_thumb.jpg

On arrival at Penzance prior to a few cheeky beers in a local hostelry:

post-4186-0-00209300-1474199188_thumb.jpg

On the way home, charging (literally) along the coast at Dawlish:

post-4186-0-50465900-1474199186_thumb.jpg

That was one superb railtour and D1015 has certainly left a marked impression upon me.  Utterly awesome locos and I only wish I could have seen more of these locos in the 70s!!

Right.... back to loco building.

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Premium

Lovely piccies there, wish I had known as we are now "down'ear" in Pastyland.......and only a few miles from some great views of the GWR metals.

Is there a web site that lists movements that can be relied upon, I feel a bit of train spotting action is required.

Lovely piccies there, wish I had known as we are now "down'ear" in Pastyland.......and only a few miles from some great views of the GWR metals.

Is there a web site that lists movements that can be relied upon, I feel a bit of train spotting action is required.

Hi David,

I didn't know you were down in the South west.  How lucky your are, what a gorgeous part of the UK.

Off the top of my head I cannot think of one website that would give you the gen that you are after.  However, there are websites for pathfinder and the like who run the tours so I suggest keeping an eye on those.  If I do find one website that gives you the info I shall post it here for you.

I'm still grinning from ear to ear after the amazing Wizzo to Penzance!!

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

I usually use these sites for tours that are in operation. I'm not sure if you already have them but if not they will advise you what is running around the system.

Diesel Tours: http://www.railtourinfo.co.uk/

Steam Tours: http://www.uksteam.info/tours/trs16.htm

Lee, Those 40's look the business

Regards

Jim

Archived