Hi Lee,

40118 looks great, for oil streaks you could try dry brushing and build up the layers. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for that tip, I shall give it a go.

..and a small update on 40060:

post-4186-0-92645900-1469202293_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if the headcode dots are a little too big.  Thoughts?

Cheers

Lee

Finally,I plucked up the courage and managed to get 40118 weathered whilst I wait for the varnish to dry on 060 :)

attachicon.gif40118 Weathered No 1 end.jpg

attachicon.gif40118 Weathered No 1 end (2).jpg

attachicon.gif40118 Weathered No 1 end (3).jpg

attachicon.gif40118 Weathered No 2 end.jpg

Still a lot to learn about weathering me thinks, I'll do better on the next one.

Cheers

Lee

Nothing really much to learn there! 

That is a truly quality job fella. 

• RMweb Premium

Lee.....those HC Dots look fine to me, biggest problem I found was lighting them from behind without showing the grain of the paper they are printed on, in the end I used a plastic based inkjet "paper" and the base is completely white without any grain or weave of paper.

Lee.....those HC Dots look fine to me, biggest problem I found was lighting them from behind without showing the grain of the paper they are printed on, in the end I used a plastic based inkjet "paper" and the base is completely white without any grain or weave of paper.

Hi David,

Thanks for the tip!  Where did you get the plastic based material from?  I'm not sure I've heard of anything like that before but it sounds just the job..... can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Premium

I'll try and find the stuff, to be honest I had a few sheets at work I used to use, it is a OHP type film but white opaque if memory serves.

I'll have a look in a few packing boxes today and see if I can find the stuff exactly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments and likes with regard 40060.

I'm well on my way with the next 40 too, 40126. It's been a testing build with quite a few things going awry (me c*cking it up in other words :D ).  At the moment though I have managed to get the decals on (RailTec) and a coat of Klear to seal them:

post-4186-0-27698100-1471804813_thumb.jpg

Those of you familiar with the real loco probably know it suffered a bit of a collision and hence had some horrible scars along the left hand side of no 2 end.. along with some rather dodgy repairs.  To try to copy this:

post-4186-0-97529700-1471804818_thumb.jpg

A while ago I asked Steve of RailTech to make some boiler water tank gauge decals.  These look pretty good when added to the locos and are exactly the right size too!  Since I took this photo I covered the decal in several coats of Klear to represent the glass:

post-4186-0-16924400-1471804814_thumb.jpg

Once the decals were on and setting I needed to add the handrails that run along side the door in the middle of the body.  With a few bits of 0.7mm N/S wire:

post-4186-0-74125600-1471804817_thumb.jpg

Having built a few of these locos it's niggled me a little about the vac & steam heating pipes that sit on top of the bogies.  So I set about replacing these - the steam heat pipe uses some glass fibre braided hose:

post-4186-0-00586500-1471804817_thumb.jpg

The vac pipe I have just hacked the JLTRT whitemetal pipe and made it more reminiscent of the real loco:

post-4186-0-76028300-1471804815_thumb.jpg

Well that's it for now until the Klear dries over the decals then I can spray a couple of coats of varnish over the entire loco.  It won't be long before I can start weathering it... the best bit :D

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee.

I loved the other class 40s but this one is superb. You really have got the hang of weathering and the repair work on the side looks great it really brings it to life.

Cheers Peter.

How did you drill for the handrails beside the centre doors? The holes are at 90 deg to the body, parallel to the sides aren't they?

Hi Jeff,

I drill the holes using a 0.75mm bit (for 0.7mm NS wire) prior to painting.  I make sure that the drill bit is as long as I can make it which ensures there is a shallow angle for the drilled hole.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Lee

Hello Lee,

are you at Telford? if so what day? I'm down for the two so if you let me know when your down there we can meet up and have a chat or just a beer or two.

OzzyO.

PS, still have your number on the phone.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lee,

Keeping track (excuse the pun!) of your progress, that latest 40 looks superb!  Keep going like this I'm going to have to commission you to build one for me lol!!!  Looks really good mate looking forward to see whats coming next....

Rich

Hello Lee,

are you at Telford? if so what day? I'm down for the two so if you let me know when your down there we can meet up and have a chat or just a beer or two.

OzzyO.

PS, still have your number on the phone.

Hey Paul,

Nice to hear from you.  I've sent you a PM regarding Telford.

Hi Lee,

Keeping track (excuse the pun!) of your progress, that latest 40 looks superb!  Keep going like this I'm going to have to commission you to build one for me lol!!!  Looks really good mate looking forward to see whats coming next....

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the compliment and it's nice to see you following my builds here.  With regards commissions.... I could be interested ;)

So, what's next?...... another 40 I'm afraid.   It will be 40009 the last surviving VO loco.

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the compliment and it's nice to see you following my builds here.  With regards commissions.... I could be interested ;)

To quote that well known Microsoft saying ... 'You have mail!'   :)

Rich

Following a nice day out at Telford yesterday and whilst waiting for the Shawplan parts to turn up I decided to have a go at the JLTRT ZZA Snowplough.

I know OzzyO has shown what's in the box so I won't bother with that. The parts didn't exactly go together so well... as as well as I had anticipated anyway.  You will probably see what I mean in the pictures but the first job was to get the wheels and axles sorted out.  A bit of blackening of some Roxey steel wheels and some 0.7mm NS wire for the spring mechanism:

post-4186-0-47972300-1473011592_thumb.jpg

The 'instructions' say to fix the M4 nuts into the base... but I elected to Epoxy the bolts in instead.  It just seemed easier to fit the chassis into the plough base with the bolts acting as guides.  A little bit of Devcon later:

post-4186-0-02472500-1473011593_thumb.jpg

I had noted from OzzyO's build that the plough base, once put onto the chassis, rocks a little.  Indeed it did but by scraping a little of the cast resin away that was soon sorted out but it did take me a while to work out where the excess resin was.  In the end I resorted to adding some masking tape in layers at given positions then refitting the chassis to plough base to see if the problem had been eradicated:

post-4186-0-81932500-1473011591_thumb.jpg

Once I knew exactly where to scrape the job was easy to get them seated together properly.

I wish the housing was as easy, it took quite a bit of sanding and scraping to get the parts to fit correctly.  Using masking tape I assembled the 5 pieces and once happy they were fitting as well as I could and were square, I added glue :)  The pic below is pre-glue:

post-4186-0-83078800-1473011595_thumb.jpg

Lots of sanding and filling ensued.  Primarily using the medium Cyano to fill joints and crevasses!!

A bit of time spent with the handle making jig and some NS 0.6mm wire and it's not far off done in terms of building/ sticking bits together:

post-4186-0-18100300-1473011594_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-84102500-1473011594_thumb.jpg

These last two pics show the parts merely plonked together and the joins at the rear of the housing look a lot worse than what they are.  The joins are highlighted by the Cyano rather than obscuring them as with filler.  I still have the one window to add yet and I'm pondering at what stage to add the glazing.... I think it's going to end up fogged whatever I do as it has to be added prior to the housing going onto the base :(

To those that went, I hope you had a good day at Telford Yesterday/ today.

Cheers

Lee

Archived