St. Davids , turntable update.

two tone green

Hi Lee.

Test bits at the Kettering Show and finished at the summer show in Doncaster if things work out.

It fits up against a turntable but really the building is compact. It has to be to fit in the area I have available.

After this it's the coaling stage / water tank and that will be interesting as the platform base needs to be triangular. !!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lee,

Sorry away from home on lighter than air duties and not due back until may be next Sunday. But a quick PM on here to Phil, Brush Type 4, should get the answer you need as he makes the kits and a great kit it is.

Here is the link to his profile.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/user/1485-brushtype4/

Hello again Lee,

Yes I will be at the Doncaster Summer show as well hopefully to collect the main steam shed off Phil so may be catch up with you there.

Also I will be at Kettering this coming weekend to see Phil for a progress report but also to collect some goodies on order from various suppliers that I placed at the Bristol show.

Tough life this O gauge stuff. I wish the distances between shows was in 7mm scale as well. Would certainly save a few bob on fuel and tyres.

• 3 weeks later...

At the recent O Gauge Guild Spring Show in Kettering I collected one of the new engine shed from Phil, Brush Type 4 on here who runs Intentio doing laser cut models.

I have only just got around to opening the box today to find a box of delights. Well cut, sharp edged walls and detailing that looked like it would go together well as soon as I opened the box.

To be honest I have attacked the kit in my own order starting off with the walls and so far so good. I will try my best to post photos as I go along but it wont be rushed as I am doing this as I do other jobs around the house and getting the motorhome ready for two weeks along the Normandy coast.

post-6682-0-60163400-1458392529_thumb.jpg

Also whilst at Kettering I picked up a 'test wall' from Phil which will form part of the main engine shed on my layout. This one bit of flat wood has got me all excited. Looking at the quality of Phil's work with regards the shed I am building now and the diesel Servicing shed I know that when the big one arrives it will be amazing.

Here are few pics so you can see what I mean. Have a look back a page or so for a sketch of the shed and you should be able to work out where its going. The position of the wall in the photos is not where it will be on the finished model. Its placed to show so clearances Phil needed to know about.

post-6682-0-89611500-1458392247_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-97234000-1458392248_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-03721400-1458392250_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-82086300-1458392250_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-78570500-1458392251_thumb.jpg

Sat in front of the TV watching Wales v Italy gave me the chance to do a bit more.

Also chance to test fit the inner walls in the outer shell. The windows need fitting between the two sets of walls before joining permanently.

post-6682-0-83932200-1458405827_thumb.jpg

I just had to play a bit more before having to go on holiday.

I thought I would test fit the roof members and the roof as well as see what the building looked like with some windows in.

They slide in between the inner and outer walls for this test but will be positioned and glued in their right position against one wall before the final fit of the two sets of walls.

Anyway. a few more photos.

post-6682-0-21700400-1458490921_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-06332800-1458490922_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-93870100-1458490922_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have added the station pilots bike to his charge so he can make a quick get way after his duties are over.

Not finished painting the bike yet. The saddle and handlebars are two things needing doing and cannot quite decide on the frame colour.

post-6682-0-90451700-1460307252_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have for a while wanted a more mechanical interface with my DCC layout by using lever operated points and signals.

I was quite enthusiast about the DCC Concepts Cobalt Alpha system for many reason until reality hit home and found that the adverts did not live up to reality for us ECoS users. I had bought the Alpha board to see what it was like expecting to be able to just plug it in and get on with connecting the one lever I had at the time. Wrong, very wrong.

Anyway, further research showed that by use of the ESU ECoS Detector Standard connected to my ECoS and some 'programming,' touching the screen on the ECoS actually, would give me exactly what I wanted at a fraction of the cost of using the Alpha system and also give me full access to the ECoS functions. Something the Alpha system does not.  

So here is the first stage of the 'upgrade' to my fully DCC, RR&Co Computer Controlled, Mechanically Controlled layout.

There are thirty levers but there are some spare in there for future expansion. Of course they all need painting the correct colours including white for the spares.

They will sit lower and into the board to hide the connector on the front face and to make them look more like a frame in a signal box.

So I move closer all the time to my signal box control system with levers, bells and the faint smell of tea.

post-6682-0-68400000-1462094645_thumb.jpg

Hi Andy,

A nice guide, thanks for taking the time to produce it.  The ECoS system seems to be a bit of a minefield (for those of us not in the know)... I guess lots more reading to be done :)

Hope to catch up with you at GOG, Doncaster.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

Its an expensive box of tricks but as I see it its a full system in one box. It is very powerful and allows a lot more to be done than your bog standard DCC system which often needs a lot of add ons to get the things the user wants. The fact you can have a nice picture to show the loco you are controlling or want to pick from your list of available fleet makes it more simple and you don't need to remember all the locos addresses. Simple. It needs to be for me. 

As for Doncaster, looking a bit doubtful at the moment. Its the weekend before my birthday and to spend the weekend away may have a knock on effect to what I want to do over my birthday weekend. Also the summer show is getting 'harder' to get to from deepest west Wales.. Halifax and Cleckheaton were just about ok but going over to Donny is pushing it a bit for a one day show.

Will definitely, 100% be at Telford for the full two days.

Thanks Bob.

I am as you know a big computer control user on my layout but this adds another interface to it.

It compliments the already in place PC control side of things but it is a fully stand alone system not needing the PC so if need be I can operate the layout via the levers without turning on the PC.

Of course all the control side of things for routes,  points and signals is all ready built into the ECoS along with a nice track diagram of your layout on its touch screen. Its what I was trying to explain to Lee above.

Well is not exactly beach weather here today so set to and cut the hole to take the point and signal levers.

Shows roughly what it will be like and I am looking forward to getting it all working.

May mount the two ESU ECoS Detectors tomorrow and do a quick test to see it work.

I need some checker plate for the surround that will go around the lever frame as well so will see if I can order some online. I think Slaters do some.

post-6682-0-93007500-1462110901_thumb.jpg.

I know its not everybody's cup of tea, but I think that those Levers would look nice in an open backed Signal Box Andy, I know it would not be to scale, but I think it would make a nice surround - I know you have enough on your plate, but worth thinking about, or had you thought of that already.

Cheers, Bob.

Archived