St. Davids , turntable update.

two tone green

Hi Bob,

Yes I agree and it was sort of on the cards to do it but space, time etc made me go down the road I have.

I have considerd putting a wall beyound the levers to give it a signl box appearence with a shelf and windows with block bells etc.

I am thinking about it. :scratchhead:

Guest Digital

Thanks John.

I always seem to be tinkering with the technical stuff and not getting on doing the scenic stuff.

Things will change when I get my engine shed.

You are very good with the technical stuff and I always enjoy reading your latest technical additions to your layout.

Would you be able to explain how you connected the point levers to the ECoS DETECTOR.

Thanks

John.

Yes, not a problem but it may be next week as I have quite a bit to do this weekend.

The wiring really is simple. The tedious bit is doing all the routes as its routes that set the state of each point. So in effect you have two routes per point, eg one route to go straight, one route to go left.

This is triggered by the lever setting the detector state. If on set the straight route. If off set the left route. Or the other way around. It's up to the user.

That needs doing for each point.

That's the basics of it. I will try to write it up in detail later.

Guest Digital

Is the wiring as per diagram 5 of the detector manual showing a separate DC power supply? Substituting the switch in the diagram with the cobalt lever.

Yes, exactly but don't forget that the diagram is showing the ECoS Detector which I would normally use for block occupancy with Railcom.

There are no jumpers on the Standard version. When I di my testing I did not bother with the DC supply and used  DCC track power. There is no real power draw as such as the detector is just looking for a ground.

But I will use a 12VDC supply as per the diagram when I wire up all my levers to avoid any issues.

All quite simple really and a dam sight cheaper than using all the DCC Concepts Alpha stuff.

Guest Digital

Thanks Andy. 

Just had a quick trial session with a colour light signal and had it up and running in 10 minutes.

Created 2 routes as you suggested one for a green signal and one for a red.

Setting the detector state to off gives a red signal, setting detector state to on gives green.

Works a treat.

Thank you Andy for your help with this, very much appreciated. I can see a lot of possibilities for this method.

Regards and thanks again.

John

Hi John.

Yes, lots of possibilities including bell codes.

As I have two spare inputs on the detectors I will use one with a push button instead of the point lever and trigger sound files. You will hear the tap sound as I push the button with the bell code coming back from the distant box via another sound file.

The DCC, Computer Controlled, Mechanical signal box is coming together.

I have made the lower sliding shelf to take the mouse and key board that used to sit where the lever frame is now. In use it wont be this far out as the key board is only used when I am working on RR&Co or other general stuff on the PC.

The roller ball mouse is very good for controlling RR&Co and the fact its not moving around is a big plus.

I need to paint the levers next and get the check plate 'flooring' bought from Slaters that will surround the frame.

I have had a custom built PC in service now dedicated to the railway. iCore 7, 32Gb Ram, 8GB NVIDIA video card and 750 GB SSD all in a very compact case. Silent and amazing fast. Windows 10 professional is loaded and runs the railway very nicely. All hooked up to two 23 inch IPS monitors via DVI and a 36 inch Samsung TV via HDMI but I don't use the TV side of it.

The only software on there is railway related but I do have the excellent RailCam web site and Dawlish Beach web site links on internet explorer which runs full screen on the Samsung TV in HD. It does look good. The new Swanage web cam is very good.

Anyway, a photo of the new lower sliding shelf.

post-6682-0-58713000-1463302289_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

45074 gets friend to be with, 45045.

I do like Black 5's and a pair is always nice to have. In fact a pair of any loco is nice to have.  

It will get a coal load and the usual  DCC sound treatment and join the rest of the West Wales fleet

post-6682-0-88789300-1464963054_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-58656500-1464963055_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-34445500-1464963056_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Just a glimpse into the shed foreman's office of St. Davids shed.

Work in progress etc. Needs furniture which I have some I need and a fireplace. I managed to get quite a few bits at the Reading show last weekend. Also the door needs a brass door knob or handle.

The walls are not glued together yet so the gap won't be there once done. No glazing in the window yet. Flooring needs me to decide w...hat it will be.

Lighting is one warm white LED which is giving a green hue which I suspect is due to the wall colour.

But generally it's looking ok. As I said, work in progress.

post-6682-0-98043500-1482176056_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Have you managed to make any further progress on the layout?  Just wandering through my 'Bookmark' links of layouts to keep up to date with and I see its been a while! 

Rich

Hi Rich,

Yes a bit. I had been waiting on Peco releasing their small radius point to reintroduce a siding that was removed in an earlier track rearrangement and the point with a bit of surgery dropped in nicely between two double slips.

Building wise my engine shed is stalled due to waiting on an internal door. I need to position it before I can build the office area that then will allow me to build the rest of the external walls. Amazing how one small item can have such a big effect.

Been playing a lot with DCC decoders and sound as well as other tweaks to the layout which all have had a benifical effect.

But given the time since my last post I suppose not a lot really.

I will try to add some photos soon.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Looks good and sounds great!  Not a criticism, but I wish people using their phones for video would turn them landscape!!  Nice to watch and listen to tho :)

Rich

Hi Andy,

Looks good and sounds great!  Not a criticism, but I wish people using their phones for video would turn them landscape!!  Nice to watch and listen to tho :)

Rich

Is this any better. Sorry it gets cut off a bit abrupt

Archived