St. Davids , turntable update.

two tone green

Hi Scott,

Shame about the Black 5 you had running on the test layout, it was a tad light and showed it with it struggling with just four coaches. You should have gone for the 8F on the same stall I got the 4MT from. The 8F was a good buy as well.

The 4MT will have a full DCC sound fit with working bi directional red white oil lights. Yes I know they are not prototypical but then again a loco with no lights is also wrong !

Hi Randall, good to meet you as well. Its always nice when you can put a face to the name as it makes it easier to exchange info etc. on here. Your comments about the 4MT being at the Swansea show and other people looking at it makes me think what is wrong with it but so far I cannot find anything wrong with it.

The Jinty was nice and I nearly bought it as well to just sit as a nice to look at loco but as soon as the 4MT caught my eye it was obvious which to pick.

FD, keep me up too speed with your progress in getting yours going. I am in no hurry to get it painted and lined. I will be looking for some one to do mine as I don't have enough time to do it and I want it to look good. I can do the DCC side of it minus lights as the body will be off and off to help with painting and lining and once the lights are on it makes removing the body harder. I must have a look how it comes off. Not had chance yet and it will be a while before I get chance.

The one thing I am looking for though are 7mm scale light shades to add lighting in a building. Round, cream inside and green outside. I will paint them no problems, just need to find some that are about 18 inches in real life scaled down and able to be drilled out to take a 2mm or 3mm warm white LED. I do like things to work.. I want 40 in total to standardise across the layout. If you see some, please let me know.

If any one is having haulage problems with San Cheng / Tower loco's just add weight, they purposely kept them light to reduce the shipping cost. I added some 6" roofing lead rolled up tightly & popped it into the boiler space of my old ivatt 2MT and it took 50 wagons around Pete W's Leamington Spa with no issues.

Andy if you like I can pass you Conrads number for the lining of your very nice Std 4 tank. In my opinion one of the nicest looking tank engines built.

Hi Steve,

Yes please. I would love to have the loco done by Conrad. His work is superb.

Phil,

I think I am having eye sight problems as I cannot quite work out what I am looking at other than a keyboard and some fingers. The object between the fingers is well, .........not sure. Sorry.

Hi Steve,

Yes please. I would love to have the loco done by Conrad. His work is superb.

Phil,

I think I am having eye sight problems as I cannot quite work out what I am looking at other than a keyboard and some fingers. The object between the fingers is well, .........not sure. Sorry.

It is supposed to be a lampshade...  :dontknow:

Just by way of an update on my new 4MT tank, it will be dispatched to a well known painter for painting, lining and numbering but it wont be back until then new year.

The wait will be worth it though.

As for a number for it, it will have a number from the cancelled batch of 15 so there wont be a problem with them not having been originally based on the Western Region until 1962 when they were displaced from other depots due to dieselisation. My reasoning is that the cancelled batch of 15 were destined for the WR and delivered as scheduled. Seems plausible.

Anyway, watch this space for more news on the 4MT in the new year.

Last Thursday in between getting the motor home ready for a Halloween weekend away I managed to get a few hours to play with my GoPro and a Lionheart pannier but fitted with a Loksound V4 and a SWD Pannier project with the new U drive feature.

So, cab ride from a slightly odd angle over some of the metals and the turntable that makes up St Davids

• 1 month later...

The 7mm scale BR 4MT tank loco I bought at the Carmarthen show is back from Conrad and looks absolutely amazing. His work painting and lining is far beyond what I could ever hope to achieve and he kindly had it back in time for it to be a nice Christmas present to myself.

It now has and ESU Loksound decoder and speakers in it along with working lamps. A few people had warned me about the 4MT's being a bit suspect but having test run it at the show and now on my own layout it runs very nicely, even around my 40'' radius curves.  

post-6682-0-08708200-1450880400_thumb.jpg

In response to a request for a video of the 4MT and Black 5 together here is a quicky I just did.

Its not my GoPro I would normally use, its badly set up, the locos are out of synch with each other and other things need tweaking to improve it so please don't start complaining about this is not right etc.

Job for today. Making up some head and tail lamps for the next four locos to get the treatment.

post-6682-0-04968900-1451142823_thumb.jpg

I use the Springside Models BR head and tail lamps and remove the handle, drill through the lens with a 1.95mm drill and ease in 2mm fibre optic lens that I make up as well.

Then from the rear I drop in the rather excellent DCC Concept 0.8mm bi-colour LED and fix the lot in place with some canopy glue. The once dry a coat of matt black over the hole where the LED went in through and then paint white.

Fit to loco, wire up to DCC decoder and fit handle made from very fine brass wire.

post-6682-0-72519400-1451142829_thumb.jpg

There are two Prairies and one Pannier to do along with another Manor once delivered at the end of January.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a spare hour so I thought I would put up a shelf for spare loco stock not in use on the layout. I intend putting up another one for other spare locos curently in boxes but quite pleased with this one for now.

Must get around to finishing off painting the platform but at 11ft long its not the most exciting of jobs.  

post-6682-0-87651100-1453648477_thumb.jpg

Archived