RMweb

kevpeo

Not really Loch Dour, but while out doing my ''dadly'' duties yesterday what did I, em, ''stumble'' across but this wee beastie -

post-8271-0-67413500-1305461338_thumb.jpg

As you can see it was a bit wet at Lakeside! In real numbers it is of course 27 024 of which there just happens to be a model on the layout. Isn't that a coincidence! It looked better in its previous battered blue to me of course. Kev.

Website - Http://lochdour.webs.com/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And here she is, 24 090, Loch Dour's latest, straight out of ''works'' and ready for the scrap line!-

post-8271-0-19111700-1306591604_thumb.jpg

This is a strange hobby of ours, to take a brand new loco in ex-works condition and ''overhaul'' it to look clapped out! The ''rust'' isn't quite so vibrant in the flesh, for some reason reds always seem to come out brighter in my photo's. I also picked up my model of 37 049 this morning (at last!) soon to become 033. I'm very peeved it doesn't seem to have a V4 chip in it, so now I'll have to buy another chip to practice on!

• Like 1

Thanks Jon. I'm unhappy to report that my brand new 'shiny' 37 049 turned out to be a right ''dog''. While everything worked, it ''hunted'' back and forth horribly at low speed. It was probably only the back-emf of the chip that got it to start moving at all! So while waiting for a replacement to arrive I thought I'd tackle some stock trays. All Loch Dour's coaches and wagons (and the 101) travel in stackable trays that form a box for carrying them around like this-

post-8271-0-68865300-1307188157_thumb.jpg

The dirty looking tray is used for Coppell too, so it has a few more miles on the clock! When I constructed them I made a spare which so far hasn't been used, so I thought I'd finish this one off and convert the base tray fitted with the feet into a loco tray -

post-8271-0-73127600-1307188171_thumb.jpg

As you can see this tray fits 6 x 24/25/26/27 plus 4 x 37/4. These are all the loco's that see Loch Dour use only. This has two advantages, (1) It saves on a large collapsible plastic box and (2), It means I don't have to use any of the new style '' box within a box '' that now come from Bachmann and Heljan! These may be brilliant for getting the loco from China to the UK in one piece, but are a pain in the a**e for ever after!

A strange visitor has also appeared in town in the shape of this -

post-8271-0-93620100-1307188213_thumb.jpg

A UP gas turbine of all things, visiting for sound chip fitting, in this case a Tsunami, although having took the body off it looks like metal will need to be removed to fit it in, mind you it can spare it, it weighs a ton! It should make a change from tractors and rats when/if I get the ok to start cutting! Thats all for now, I'll get back to rewiring and chipping a 158 in my very hot loft now. Kev.

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

It seems a long time since my last update, the layout thread was on page 10 when I found it, not that anyone seems to have missed me! To be honest most of my modelling time has been devoted to Coppell's rebuilding and stock lately as well as a sun, sea, sand and 'tummy bugs' holiday to Playa Blanca, Lanzarote! Oh and trying to decipher ESU lok v4 software, but thats a loooooong story! Anyway, stopping rambling and getting back to Loch Dour, I have managed to finish 37 033 -

post-8271-0-07941500-1311587880_thumb.jpg

Just a straightforward re-number, detail and dirty of the sound fitted 37 049, fitted with my usual bass re-flex speaker in the tanks and a few detail alterations specific to 033. It was the one major variation that wasn't represented in the LD fleet, ''banger blue'' with black split-boxes and round buffers. I've left the SWD program on it so far as it does sound very nice if a bit sluggish on the ''thrash'' front! So far I've only got two 37's with the same program, and even they have horn differences! Thats probably going to be it until after Blackburn show at the beginning of Sept. Unless ''hairy queen of scots'' turns up of course, but how likely is that! Cheers for looking, Kev.

• Like 6

Hi Kev,

I had missed your updates! That stock box is very useful to see as that is one job I will need to do at some point next year for my layout stock and that looks a very safe and sensible idea to try and use. Really like your new 37 as well, the weathering shades are brilliant and it has a nice dusty road dirt layer as well which really brings it to life!

What is being rebuilt on Coppell? I shall look forward to seeing that again in October when I get down for the show!

Hope your well!

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a straightforward re-number, detail and dirty of the sound fitted 37 049

And very nice it is too :yes:

A few for my photos of it would be most welcome :lol: (please)

• Like 1

Wahay, somebody does read this tat! Cheers for the comments guys.

Mark, Coppell's having both (off scene) ends rebuilt to turn it into a ''proper'' four track run along the front scenic boards, should pep up the operating at bit! Progress can be followed here - http://coppellfmrc.webs.com/news.htm

Pete, sorry, I don't think I understand the question? I may be a bit thick! Kev.

Pete, sorry, I don't think I understand the question? I may be a bit thick! Kev.

Well you said it not me.

I think that he (Pete) wants some more photos of the 37, so he can pop them into an album in his puter.

OzzyO.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That will give me an excuse to give it a thrash out on passenger then! :yahoo: kev.

I wouldn't have thought that you would need an excuse :biggrin_mini2: :laugh:.

Just had a look on the Coppell site, forgot how much we had altered the two ends :senile:. Just the wiring :banghead: and points :banghead: to sort out now.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

I think that he (Pete) wants some more photos of the 37

Spot on!

It was just a request to see some more photos of the BR blue 37...you can throw in a few more LL 37's too if you want :yahoo:

nice work on both locos,

The disadvantage with the forum is that eve3n great layouts don't spend long on page 1 due to the volume of new layouts -but Iguess that shows the hobby is doing well.

• Like 1

Hi Kev,

Cheers for the link I have been too busy of late to take a look at it but having the 4 tracks and all DCC should make it even better and that is something quite hard to acheive in a layout of such quality - especially the variety of trains that can be seen running on it! If you need an extra driver at Barrow now you have the 4 running lines I'll gladly volunteer!

Also great to see your new club rooms - they look posh compared to the old lodge! It was bad enough way back in the 90's when I was last there!

Thanks,

Mark

Your always welcome to have a play Mark, especially at lunchtimes :lol: As for the clubrooms the new ones are a palace compared to the old ones! Plus the layout is starting to smell better, it was getting embarrassing, a layout with B.O.:bad:

And now by popular request (!) some more 37 photo's, in a seminar ''stylee'' mainly, first up the O's -

post-8271-0-07293300-1311791294_thumb.jpg

035,178 & 033.

next the 4's -

post-8271-0-25955200-1311791322_thumb.jpg

410,406,422 & 412.

And some macrats of course -

post-8271-0-26502800-1311791341_thumb.jpg

025,028,207 & 010.

A pair of ''whistling wardrobes'' -

post-8271-0-69253600-1311791385_thumb.jpg

208 & 119.

And last of all, having worked a short oil train to Inverbeg, 37 033 pilots 37 178 on the last departure to Glasgow -

post-8271-0-14986000-1311791360_thumb.jpg

Now that in my opinion would be a perfect July evenings entertainment. Funnily enough the wife doesn't seem to agree!:( kev.

website - http://lochdour.webs.com/

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

it was getting embarrassing, a layout with B.O.:bad:

oh I dunno...it might blend in with one or two punters who frequent model railway shows :laugh:

And now by popular request (!)

Lovely set of pics posted...thanks for sharing them :yes:

• Like 1

Thanks Jon. I'm unhappy to report that my brand new 'shiny' 37 049 turned out to be a right ''dog''. While everything worked, it ''hunted'' back and forth horribly at low speed. It was probably only the back-emf of the chip that got it to start moving at all! So while waiting for a replacement to arrive I thought I'd tackle some stock trays. All Loch Dour's coaches and wagons (and the 101) travel in stackable trays that form a box for carrying them around like this-

Hi, I'm relieved that someone elses 37049 runs terribly. I run mine with the sound chip removed as I'm DC only. Is there anything I can do to sort out the poor running? Love the locos & layout by the way!

Yello Kev,

luv the photos, brings back memories of bashing around Scotland in the early 80s, good times.

When are you going to do a thread on here of Coppell?

Are you playing out on Sat.?

OzzyO.

Hi, I'm relieved that someone elses 37049 runs terribly. I run mine with the sound chip removed as I'm DC only. Is there anything I can do to sort out the poor running? Love the locos & layout by the way!

Hi winterbourne. Funnily enough the new one was fine when I got it, but after pulling it to bits and attacking it (gently!) it had the same symptoms on re-assembly!dry.gif After poking about looking for clues I found a wheelset that was tight in the bearings on one bogie, try sliding each from side to side and you will soon see if you have one. A light rub through the slot in the sideframe with a file to allow the bearings to line up soon cured it. Its a similar procedure for the bottom of the center slot to remove the bogie's rocking tendencies.

Yello Kev,

When are you going to do a thread on here of Coppell?

Are you playing out on Sat.?

OzzyO.

I'm not and no!

I am really liking the photos of your stock lined up, quality. A nice fleet of 37s you have there, your model of 033 is rather tasty! Very nice weathering too.

Those choppers look superb!

Cheers Grimley, they sound nice too, in small doses! kev.

Hi Kev,

Thanks for sharing those photos - certainly is a nice fleet of stock and I know the ones I've seen run do sound very good indeed! 37 422 and 406 are a big part of my fleet too but in a nice maroon and gold shade!

Thanks,

Mark

• 1 month later...

Only three days to go until Blackburn show! If anyone is coming to see Loch Dour (It's doubtful I suppose, but you never know! :O ) we'll be running the 70's fleet on Saturday and the 80's fleet on Sunday, take your pick, and don't forget to say ''hi''. Me, nabit and unitned will be operating from RMweb :locomotive: Kev.