kevpeo

Hi all, Loch Dour is now boxed up ready for its trip to Kendal next weekend, but I've still got a few wheels to clean before then though! Before dismantling the layout, I thought I would test out a couple of new toys, the first of which doesn't go on the layout at all, but under it! This is a newly created ambient noise file for the ''loch'' end of the layout, consisting of the sounds of lapping waves, interspersed with the sharper sounds of sheep and birds, played in a continuous loop on a MP3 player through a pair of speakers. If it works, and doesn't get a 'thwack' from a hammer over the weekend in operator/visitor annoyance, I'll have to devise a way of hanging the speakers just behind the layouts 'skirts'. If you visit the show over the weekend please let me know if it's worth bothering continuing with! It sounded alright today though, in the lulls between EE and Sulzer thrash.

The second new toy, unfortunately I cannot run next weekend, as it's installed in a 90's tractor! This is a blatant ''rip off'' of Pauliebangers manual notching programs, but in an ESU v4 decoder. This works far better than I thought it would, and without using the 'half idle' of the Digitrains supplied version, which I find is the weak point (imho!). Of course I haven't figured out how to get more than one program on a v4 at the same time yet, although the memory capacity is there aplenty. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll stick a video up on you-tube of 37 275 sitting on my pasting table/programing rig revving away and going nowhere! If your passing the layout next week, feel free to say hi. Kev.

Website - Http://lochdour.webs.com/

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 1

Hi Kev,

Shame I won't be down for Kendal as it is always a good show and would be nice to see your layout again! I shall look out for your next vid sounds an interesting project still not interested in a nice EWS tractor to run on Rannoch in October!

Hope the show goes well,

Mark

It's the usual quality, but you can get the idea! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJRd87kf4zE

Trying to record this with three kids in the house, a howling gale outside and the neighbours Harley on backing vocals is fun!! Mind you I do love the sound of a Harley most of the time! kev.

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 2

Thanks Will, we're looking forward to going, I just hope the layout ''in the flesh'' isn't an anticlimax after Model Rail (I haven't found a copy yet)! It appears at the moment that the entire Loch Dour loco fleet may well be making an appearance over the course of the weekend. That never happens! Spotting books at the ready. :locomotive: kev.

edit - it didn't happen!!!!!

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 1

Hi Kev,

The subs copy tends to arrive a few days before it hits the shops so you might not get it till the end of the week all that way out in Barrow! :scratchhead:

You kept quiet about your train brakes though, but a clever idea - so next step must be to get them working with DCC! :jester:

Mark

I knew it was a bad idea to have a photo attached to the Modelrail article, now people know who is to blame! Loch Dour is safely back home after its trip to Kendal with only one failure to report! Its ok, it was not an engine, just a point motor. Many apologies to any viewers from about 4pm Sat, as we had to switch to single line working through the station after the only Fulgerex point motor on the layout decided to stop switching power on to the track section beyond when the switch disintegrated! A quick purchase of a shiny blue Cobalt followed. This was fitted before the show opened on Sunday and works a treat. It's slower and quieter than a Tortoise too! Unfortunately, that wasn't the only purchase of the weekend, as my wallet slipped open when I passed this!

post-8271-0-27090600-1327949446_thumb.jpg

Yes, yet another ''large logo tractor''! This one to become 37 408, after a little work of course, and a new sound program! Unfortunately, the FMRC club chairman got wind of this while it was being photo'd and thinks it would make a nice story for the club newsletter. More writing!!!!! Kev.

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 1

Now now you two. There's no such thing as a good photo of me, as anyone who's seen my wifes Facebook page until recently can testify to! :drag: That was the only photo not taken by Ian, but on delay by me! kev.

After all this talk of what Kev looks like I'm intrigued to find out?

Is this a conspiracy to get the Model Rail sales figures up?

I'm not a subscriber but as I'm going back to the UK this weekend, it'll be the first thing I buy (that's if they sell it at Luton Airport).

I'll report the findings on my return. ;-)

Looking forward to reading about Loch Dour too. It is one of my favourites. Especially the sound element. Hope to see it in the flesh one day.

I'm talking about the layout!

• Like 1

I´m flying back with the missus for a funeral, so a trip to a model shop is out of the question!

Hertfordshire isn´t too good for model shops either.

(Funerals are pactically the only reason I get to go back for lately!)

Stafford exhibition weekend too. It is one I´ve always wanted to go to. Never mind.

Keep those sound videos coming, Kev. Looking forward to seeing the Model Rail article.

Well, it didn't last long in one piece did it? 37 417/408 is now in many, many pieces scattered around the workbench after having a good ''run in'' yesterday. For a change I've decided to fit a Digitrains bass-reflex speaker to this one, as recommended by Legomanbiffo (so thats who gets the blame if it all goes ''pair shaped''!). The footprint of the speaker is similar to my usual DCC Supplies one, but much, much deeper. This supposedly gives more bass, we shall see when I get it running again! The extra depth means the whole base of the tanks needs cutting out and the speaker sticks through about 2 mm's. Not brilliant, but a bit of careful painting should hide it at most angles -

post-8271-0-46368500-1328437413_thumb.jpg

I just hope the speaker clears the trackwork! As an aside, this is the third Bachmann sound fitted 37 I've owned and the sound program has been slightly different in all three! Each version has started to rev slightly earlier/at a lower speed setting than the last? Mind you, on this one the lights didn't work at one end and one of the cab lights wasn't wired in! Ho hum. Thanks for looking. kev.

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 1