Dapol HST

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for photo quality, taken on the phone.

I have to say these look excellent in all liveries and the gap in the valance is now much finer so credit to Dapol for addressing that before release!

3b2e8c35.png

3353e17a.png

d424b2d9.png

Tom

They're certainly starting to look really good now. I read somewhere that their release is being delayed until next year due to issues with the lights - I don't know whether that is true or not, but perhaps Dapol Dave can update us with the latest news. And perhaps also confirm that the buffet mk3 coach, essential for a complete train - is due early next year.

G.

Well if it is delayed till next year it gives me more time to cover the cost, I've a B1, Deltic prototype and a class 14 to fund plus a new two track Gaugemaster controller.

But I second the comment re the buffet - I've got a full rake either bought or on order and need the buffet to complete.

• RMweb Premium

That looks tasty. I'm glad about the delay, it gives me some more time to get some money to be able to afford one. It's got to be the original livery for me. It brings back happy memories of gazing hopefully through the Hornby catalogue when I was a child.

• RMweb Gold

I'll be torn between the Grand Central or Cross Country versions. XC fits better for the location of the layout, but that new GC scheme is really quite stunning! One thing that is certain is that we'll finally have a quality HST in N!

Tom

• RMweb Gold

I ask about whether it was released, and got the answer of around March because the lights are not right yet. I held one of the motorised samples and its a good weighty model.

Whilst the blue/grey is what I would like for my layout, I have to say the Grand Central livery looked fantastic.

And perhaps also confirm that the buffet mk3 coach, essential for a complete train - is due early next year.

G.

Are Dapol producing a locomotive hauled RFM (to complete the Pretendolino) or an HST TRUB/TRSB/TRUK(?) or both?

One recent magazine picture suggested an RFM though I may be wrong.

Can someone please advise.

Hi everyone,

i can only apologise for the lack of HST book sets for sale at Warley, and while i hoped to get them in at the latest by Christmas, it was obvious Friday that this wasnt to happen.

I'm reasonably happy with the livery application, and i'm exctatic about the chassis and its running qualities.......however i am concerned about the light glazing unit on the model (where one is needed) which doesnt fit the cavity in the body very well and leaves a gap at the edge and the op or bottom (dependig on how its fitted).

I have asked the factory to make adjustments to this area and this will take a month.

added to this a months worth of production time, and 5 weeks delivery time from China and we are into next year, so taking into account Chinese New Year, then the end of March is the most likely 'best guess' for me.

So, sorry about the delay but i hope you understand the reasons?

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

• RMweb Gold

Hello folks

There still looks to be something wrong with the front - if you look on the Virgin version (particularly the 1st shot of half of it head on), the yellow front does not appear straight - from the bottom of the nose up it appears to start of straight, but then curve left as the yellow moves up the nose.

You can also see on the other shot of the Virgin that the line of the nose does not appear to be parallel with the angle of the cab side window.

Cheers

Mike

The HSTs looked absolutely gorgeous at warley - I withdraw all my previous nit picking! However can I ask , the colors, will they match the existing Mk3 coaches - I have some of the first release of mk3s in INTERCITY plus the DVT and a class 86 in the same livery - but the 86 is a much darker shade of grey - the 'Swallow' power car on display looked like it used the same shades as the 86 - although the lighting in the NEC is a bit wierd and probably didnt do them much justice - i just hope i havent got 2 dozen mk3s that are a different shade to the power cars :rolleyes:

They'll be worth the wait B)

tfn

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave.

Thanks for the info. Whilst the wait will be frustrating, I'm sure it'll be worth it to finally have a quality HST in N. Plus a release in March gives me chance to save the pennies!

Tom

Hi everyone,

i can only apologise for the lack of HST book sets for sale at Warley, and while i hoped to get them in at the latest by Christmas, it was obvious Friday that this wasnt to happen.

I'm reasonably happy with the livery application, and i'm exctatic about the chassis and its running qualities.......however i am concerned about the light glazing unit on the model (where one is needed) which doesnt fit the cavity in the body very well and leaves a gap at the edge and the op or bottom (dependig on how its fitted).

I have asked the factory to make adjustments to this area and this will take a month.

added to this a months worth of production time, and 5 weeks delivery time from China and we are into next year, so taking into account Chinese New Year, then the end of March is the most likely 'best guess' for me.

So, sorry about the delay but i hope you understand the reasons?

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

There still looks to be something wrong with the front - if you look on the Virgin version (particularly the 1st shot of half of it head on), the yellow front does not appear straight - from the bottom of the nose up it appears to start of straight, but then curve left as the yellow moves up the nose.

You can also see on the other shot of the Virgin that the line of the nose does not appear to be parallel with the angle of the cab side window

I've seen this issue raised on several forums, and as a lifelong hst enthusiast I have to agree. There is something seriously wrong with the dimensions of the cabside window; to quote a friend of mine: "it's far too large and extends to far around and high; basically the bottom right hand corner is in the right place and all the other corners including the angled ones are too far away from that point."

Despite previous assurances, the angled top section of the window does not match the cab front profile, and visibly intrudes on the corner pillar at the forward end, as well as throwing off any of the liveries that feature a yellow cab front (the yellow band on the corner pillar appears far too narrow). This can clearly be seen in the Virgin examples pictured, where the yellow starts by running parallel with the cabside window, but then has to kink outwards about halfway down to enable it to run down and around the light clusters. If the angle was correct then this would not be necessary.

virg1.jpg virg2.jpg virg3.jpg

There appears to be a marker line "drawn" into the moulding, from the cab window to the lights, but instead of being straight, it bows and curves downwards, which cannot help alignment matters (green = straight, pink = actual).

bow1.jpg bow2.jpg

There already look to have been modifications to the pre-production example, or maybe the moulds aren't as sharp as they could be (see green triangle for difference between marks and "extra" material).

pre1.jpg

I sincerely hope this fault can be rectified before production, as the rest of the model is truly stunning, and I was very much looking forward to purchasing a Virgin-liveried example (as well as FGW). If this flaw appears in the production examples, then it will be very off-putting, as it affects the most visible, most iconic and instantly recognisable part of the model.

p.s. Buffered 43123 in Intercity Swallow (grey cab front) would be a guaranteed sale, if you're taking requests (the cheek of it after the above!).

• RMweb Gold

I see your point, but I think the main problem, with the Virgin example anyway, is that the edge of the yellow panel is not perfectly straight and it bows inward. This gives the impression that there is something wrong with the cab window.

I have digitally straightened the edge of the yellow panel in the photo on the left and it even though it's not by much, it improves things greatly (I think anyway). At the end of the day I think worst case will be break out the masking tape and yellow paint!

hst-1.jpg

Also the photos probably don't help matters as they magnify the problem many times over the actual size of the model. I can assure you in person they look every inch a Class 43!

Tom.

• Like 1

Deja-vu!

I remember pointing out the window issue earlier :

http://www.rmweb.co....ow/page__st__25

- where were you lot back in september ;)

- seeing them in the flesh at warley though... they look so lovely now all painted up properly that i dont really care B) , while ogling the INTERCITY version I didnt really notice the window error to be honest - but it is still there it seems .

I am more concerned about the colors matching my mk3s - if anyone is unsure what im blabbing on about - compare the pictures on >(insert popular liverpool box shifters name here)< website of the Dapol Intercity 86 with their mk3.

tfn

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

I have to say, I don't see the problems with the cabside windows now. It looks OK to me. I accept that the yellow paint line might not be quite straight (these are preproduction samples) but to me the basic shape of the cab, cab windows and nose looks "right" - perhaps I am not so choosy.

Having said that, I am basing my judgment on having looked and held the bodyshells at Warley (courtesy of Dapol Dave) and when seeing the 3D item they certainly have that "wow" factor in my eyes.

Re the upper bodyside grey colour for the Swallow livery HST, I think it should be falcon grey. This was a slightly browner shade that was introduced with the Swallow livery IIRC. The original Inter-city livery, that superceded blue/grey, used executive dark grey. The Mk3s have the Intercity lettering in italicised capitals, rather than Rail Alphabet, which suggests to me the window surrounds should be falcon grey. I think that as long as Dapol ensure the power cars match the appropriate coaches then all will be well.

cheers

Ben A.

I think that as long as Dapol ensure the power cars match the appropriate coaches then all will be well.

Based on what I saw at warley - the Intercity Swallow power car on display looked much darker than my Dapol mk3s - I have the Intercity ones - and the color of the window surrounds used on the model is best described as 'grey' - whereas on the Power car , as with the Dapol 86 - the color would be described definately something closer to black ;

compare this:

http://www.ehattons.....aspx?SID=25443 (which looks to use the same shade as their Power Car)

to this

http://www.ehattons.....aspx?SID=25457

even taking into account, dodgy light as warley (possibly) , and maybe dodgy/inconsistant photogrpahy on the shops website - Id say theres a mismatch in colors. IF the production models of the 'swallow' Power Car is painted as per the model at warley , people whove already bought up Mk3s (like me) earlier might be a bit miffed.

Does anyone else have a Dapol mk3 and class 86 to compare?

TFN

jon

I think the roof of the cooler group is incorrect on that Grand Central sample above - will it be changed on the production model? That looks to be a Marston cooler, which would be correct for the original GC livery, but the orange stripes were put on following the fitting of MTU engines and Brush coolers, so if the model is going to be in the revised livery it needs to have the Brush cooler.

To make up for this long delay I think Dapol should reward those of us on pre-orders with a blue class 26 in January.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained ;) ;)

Failing that, there is always the phantom Northern Rail 153 that could see the light of day...

Certainly the HST looks a good model, can't wait to get my hands on one or two.