Dapol HST

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Reading and watching with interest - just wondering if any model in any scale has been released without some sort of issues - I think we probably expect a lot more from manufacturers these days and besides, even if the model was perfect, we would probably find something to do on it as we like to tinker and make changes to models out of the box.

I have the old Farish one and will take a look at the new Dapol one close up when its released and then weigh up whether I can justify the expense of the new or stick with the old and bring it up to scratch - after all I only need one power car and half a Mk III to put on my viaduct :blink:

I see your point, but I think the main problem, with the Virgin example anyway, is that the edge of the yellow panel is not perfectly straight and it bows inward. This gives the impression that there is something wrong with the cab window.

I have digitally straightened the edge of the yellow panel in the photo on the left and it even though it's not by much, it improves things greatly (I think anyway). At the end of the day I think worst case will be break out the masking tape and yellow paint!

hst-1.jpg

Also the photos probably don't help matters as they magnify the problem many times over the actual size of the model. I can assure you in person they look every inch a Class 43!

Tom.

Hmm, you're right! Maybe it is an optical illusion deriving from the erroneous curve of the yellow panel. A much easier thing to fix, but it would be far more preferable if they could be painted accurately in the factory.

Reading and watching with interest - just wondering if any model in any scale has been released without some sort of issues - I think we probably expect a lot more from manufacturers these days and besides, even if the model was perfect, we would probably find something to do on it as we like to tinker and make changes to models out of the box.

I have the old Farish one and will take a look at the new Dapol one close up when its released and then weigh up whether I can justify the expense of the new or stick with the old and bring it up to scratch - after all I only need one power car and half a Mk III to put on my viaduct :blink:

Sound point.

Sometimes being very myopic has distinct advantages, such that I am able to enjoy my hobby largely oblivious of the legions of inaccuracies that evidently torment others.

rolleyes.gif

Hallo,

-> Dapol

Info on TGS and "catering coach" was conspicuous by it's absence. Production dates of these items really cannot be Top Secret, can it?!?

I mean producing an HST and NOT having them available at the same time seems, well, let's say, particularly strange...

Any dates, Mr Jones? RFM was loosely targeted for late summer 2010, and it's gone very quiet. Now adding those missing coaches to the booked sets might just be that marketing move you are looking for.

Thanks

JGP

With all fairness to Dapol here, they've been stung a couple of tiimes by announcing a date, and then external factors coming into play and people then whinging and moaning about slipped dates. Dapol are on record now as going with an over all "when it's ready" programme with most announcements being 30 days before it hits the shops.

Compared to the TSO/SO and TFO/FO which share a common body shell, the RFM and the TGS both require seprate tooling.and given how busy Dapol are these may just be competing for time in the schedule. We know these are being produced, we just don't (yet) know when. In the interim, there's the Farish equivalents to fill in, or perhaps, modify one of the Dapol ones to suit..? It took Hornby buying out Lima for them to get around to extra MK3 varients...

Hi JGP,

Firstly please dont be so formal it's Dave, not Mr Jones;)

Secondly, and you may not like this, but there is a delay on the RFM and a longer one on the TGS. We are not dumping them or giving up on them, although some on here will probably say we are.

What's happened is simple, we are extremely busy right now, more so than at any time in thepast and our new CEO has given me authority to proceed with more projects in N and OO than we have ever done in 1 year. so much so that the factories we currently have in China (2 of them) are running almost to capacity and i am out there again soon looking at a third)

now this means that we have had to prioritise, and the RFM has slipped to next year (1st quarter i hope). This is simply a problem of economics........why make a coach a priority with £3.00 per unit profit when you can make a loco that gives you £30.00 per unit profit especially this time of year, and taking into account the HST isnt ready yet?

Mercenary i know, but realistic for us to keep a cash flow going to be able to re-invest.

So please dont worry, the buffet is still on the list, we just need tool room time / capacity, and this should happen just before or after Chinese New Year.

As for the HST, well to confirm again i am not happy with the headlight fitting (as you can see in the pictures on this thread), and although i could have released it, it would have been slated quite rightly by the modelling fraternity. I'd rather take the flak for taking a little extra time to get things right than for letting it go on sale incorrect.

I have had a revised one through now and it's better, but still concerning regarding the fit of the light clusters. But it will be right for launch.

The side window issue has been looked at and, although not perfect, seems fine now on the latest issue, and the mould lines on the side of the cab front are being removes and the valance join tightened up even more. The paint finish for the warning panel yellow on the pictures were merely mock ups for display and never indicative of the finished item.

The Grand Central power car is with GC for approval, and so is the FGW set with FGW for approval too.:D

Talking of which a FGW power car and MK3 coach will debut this weekend on the Dapol stand at Darlingotn (weather permitting).

Please bear with us, and although i know it is frustrating, we are trying to get a premium item out to you as soon as its ready. All who have seen and handled the HST think the wait will be worth it, and i encourage any of you visiting Darlington this weekend to come and see, and maybe handle, the power cars to judge for themselves.

Hope this helps and you hav'nt all gone to sleeep with this mail.:lol:

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Hallo,

-> Dapol

Info on TGS and "catering coach" was conspicuous by it's absence. Production dates of these items really cannot be Top Secret, can it?!?

I mean producing an HST and NOT having them available at the same time seems, well, let's say, particularly strange...

Any dates, Mr Jones? RFM was loosely targeted for late summer 2010, and it's gone very quiet. Now adding those missing coaches to the booked sets might just be that marketing move you are looking for.

Thanks

JGP

• Like 1

Talking of which a FGW power car and MK3 coach will debut this weekend on the Dapol stand at Darlingotn (weather permitting).

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Dave,

Thanks for the update, all useful info and good to know the buffet and TGS are still on the cards.

Am I right to assume the FGW livery is the current blue with pink doors?

cheers

jo

Hi Gang;

Time for me to stick my input into that of others. I noticed today that Dave has given a succint timeline of how things are going. Now, that wasn't too difficult, so I do hope that Dapol can come from behind the veil of secrecy, especially when plans and release dates change.

Secondly, the book set HSTs would be ideal with the previously mentioned RFM and TGS in there too. Quite how that would work for the W&S set is not revealed ....perhaps just an RFM on its own as they don't use TGSs.

Thirdly, unless Dapol are incredibly inept, then it is obvious that the RFM and TGS are done. Has anyone looked at the typical formation of the Mk3 version of the NMT??? If those coaches are not done, then the NMT will have t run in its hybrid Mk2/Mk3 formation...oh wait...Dapol don't do Mk2s!!!

Lastly, if the TGS is done and the NMT coaches printed accordingly, how is the pantograph vehicle going to be portrayed???

That's all for now, some vino rosso is calling.....

Later;

STU from EGDL

http://stusphotos.fotopic.net

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have just noticed in Dapol's 2011 catalogue that although they have re-instated the HSTs as book sets, what you will get is 1 x first and 1 x second, rather than a TGS and/or buffet. :rolleyes:

There is still no news on HST buffets or TGSs...(the catalogue just mentions buffet for ATW, Pretendolino and W&S)

When will manufacturers learn that incomplete sets put people off buying??? Given that I am sure Dapol are concerned about the tooling costs for the one offs then why not include them in the sets so they are guaranteed sales at the appropriate cost for the toolings....

Cheers, Mike

Given that I am sure Dapol are concerned about the tooling costs for the one offs then why not include them in the sets so they are guaranteed sales at the appropriate cost for the toolings....

Problem is I think Dapol then have a no-win scenario. If the RFM/TRUB/TRUK/whatever and TGS are only available with the power cars you'll get complaints that they are not available seperately (after all, where are Dapol currently selling all these HST MK3's to..?), which means doing extra small batches anyway. And of course there's the problem that you don't always need a TGS. There's also the problem that (potentially) not all your book set sales are to "modellers" and a the further oddity (on top of the 4 vehicle oddity) of half the carriages being catering might put the casual punter off (I say might, 'cos let's face it we're dealing with nested hypotheticals here :) ).

The major reason for the decision is probably that the other body toolings aren't close to ready yet and the power cars are and better to have these eagerly awaited items on the shelf now(ish) than delay them waiting for what can be an add on item or two.

Hi everyone,

quick update for you.

The first Virgin HST book set went to ModelRail today for photography.

Not sure many of you are aware but it consists of a 1st + 3rd coaches plus a standard fit Powercar and a buffered power car. I'm sure they will be in a MR mag review soon.

now thats sorted and put to bed we can concentrate on the buffet which will take a little more of my time in the next week or so, but i'll post porgress here as soon as i have something tangible. Soon after that i will work on the TGS.

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

they are showing on ehattons website as both types, book sets with power cars and coaches and packs of just the two power cars.

nd111a, nd111b, nd111c and nd111e are the 2 power car packs.

nd122a/b/c/d/e/f/g are the book sets including 2 coaches.

hope that helps

Mark

When did that happen?

I was reading "britain's model trains 2011" last night and that says they are going to produce the twin packs too..

maybe if Dave gets a chance he could clarify this issue for us.

Mark

The first Virgin HST book set went to ModelRail today for photography.

Not sure many of you are aware but it consists of a 1st + 3rd coaches plus a standard fit Powercar and a buffered power car.

What numbers are the powercars? It's clearly going to be different to the 43008/43092 that Hattons have been advertising.

When did that happen?

I was reading "britain's model trains 2011" last night and that says they are going to produce the twin packs too..

maybe if Dave gets a chance he could clarify this issue for us.

Mark

I dunno but it was mentioned on this Yahoo Group as being an official statement from Dapol Dave himself.

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/ngauge-modern/message/50292

• 1 month later...

I dunno but it was mentioned on this Yahoo Group as being an official statement from Dapol Dave himself.

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/ngauge-modern/message/50292

Hi,

Can anyone clarify whats happening regarding the twin Power Car packs? Ive noticed on most model shop websites that only the booksets have a price next to them, with the twin packs tagged 'price to be arranged'

Any news regarding the above release would be appreciated for those of us who have already purchased MK3's & don't need the booksets, just the Powercars....

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Can anyone clarify whats happening regarding the twin Power Car packs? Ive noticed on most model shop websites that only the booksets have a price next to them, with the twin packs tagged 'price to be arranged'

Any news regarding the above release would be appreciated for those of us who have already purchased MK3's & don't need the booksets, just the Powercars....

I E-mailed Dapol last week about this is the reply i got

Dear John

Sorry but the twin packs are not in the 2011 catalgue so - if we do them - it won't be this year.

regards

Kevin

Dapol Customer Care

john

I E-mailed Dapol last week about this is the reply i got

Dear John

Sorry but the twin packs are not in the 2011 catalgue so - if we do them - it won't be this year.

regards

Kevin

Dapol Customer Care

john

Oh dear, thats rather a let down :( I really wish they wouldn't advertise them in the 1st place to get peoples hopes up on a purchase.

Thanks for your help John...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Things seem to have gone a little quiet since the reviews in Model Rail a month ago now. Is there any further news as to when the HST125 sets will be available in the shops? And the latest regarding the mk3 buffets?

G.