Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

I've never seen a photo of a class 21 and 29 working in multiple. I think the 29's had enough power and reliability to go it alone.

Check out this photo taken near Aberdeen:

http://www.railphotoprints.co.uk/index/detail/3671/D6141-D6156-CoveBay-1065-RPCBR105.jpg.html

The DVD "Steam on the Speyside Line" by On-line DVD has archive footage from the GNSR and features rare film of a class 21 (ironically given the title of DVD) - the DVD is available from The Strathspey Railway

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

:yes:

Yea, what he said.

One would think that the safest course of action would be to actually deliver a model and get some consumer feedback, before you finalize the designs and commit to production on 3-4 more 4mm locomotive classes... blink.gif

I know ... lets have a pilot scheme - hey we could call these the pilot scheme locos ... thats bound to work isnt it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And surely no-one would go in to production until the original ones were thoroughly proven in service???

Hee hee - just adds to the reality!!!

Kind regards

Phil Bullock

• Like 1

post-6691-0-76030000-1297031356_thumb.jpg

Sorry to disappoint after all this time Dave wink.gif

It's not the Dobbies Loan Bridge at Buchanan Street (an all stone structure) but the St.Leonards Bridge at the South end of Perth Station - see here http://www.flickr.co...ill/2497214807/ and more clearly here http://www.flickr.co...ill/2981159709/ before the colour light era.....

And just to gloat a bit more, it's an Alexander's Fife bus not Western SMT biggrin.gif

According my late fathers logs. (he logged every location he took a photograph). Both of you are wrong. he has it down at Stirling in 1961. Which may be right as he was based at Stirling castle at that time as part of his army service

• 6 months later...

Not being able to make Warley myself this year, I was just wondering if there was any evidence or whether anyone mentioned progress on the forthcoming 21/29’s on the Dapol stand? From what I’ve see of the 22, I’m very confident we’re in for another superb model here.

Not being able to make Warley myself this year, I was just wondering if there was any evidence or whether anyone mentioned progress on the forthcoming 21/29’s on the Dapol stand? From what I’ve see of the 22, I’m very confident we’re in for another superb model here.

The Hatton's LMS Twins seem to already be in the delivery queue, the Western seems to be fast tracked (should sell really well), and there's Kernow's D60X that are billed for early 2012. Considering the way Dapol has asked for feedback on the Class 22 and 52 CAD plots, and we haven't really got to this stage with the D61XXs, I'd suspect we have a ways to go...

The Hatton's LMS Twins seem to already be in the delivery queue, the Western seems to be fast tracked (should sell really well), and there's Kernow's D60X that are billed for early 2012. Considering the way Dapol has asked for feedback on the Class 22 and 52 CAD plots, and we haven't really got to this stage with the D61XXs, I'd suspect we have a ways to go...

Thanks Pete, that makes every sense. Given all the new stuff (in addition to what you've even mentioned) that is due out in 2012, a little breathing space will be quite welcome as far as I'm concerned.

• RMweb Gold

The class 29 shot was originally intended for the film 'Ring Of Bright Water' but never used AFAIK.

Thats interesting gen.

Assume they found some other footage that was a little 'otter then?

Coat on and leaving.....

Phil

• Like 2

Thet don't really show much train footage, but the otter is quite amusing. Interestingly there is a clip where the otter get loose on the train and the alarm chord is pulled. There is a clip in the cab of a loco showing a GEC controller (doesen't look like a class 29 controller though). The train screeches to a halt but you can't see what the loco is. My guess is a class 27.

Edited by Baby Deltic

Guest Max Stafford

Weirdly enough when I saw that scene at the age of 15, my thought was of a Class 29...!

Great sequence of clips BD; made my night watching that lot!

Dave.

I could get banned from RMWeb for life for saying this, or at very least make lifelong enemies, but say it I will, regardless:

No-one, repeat no-one, in their sane mind, could ever say a two-car Sprinter is as evocative, compelling, fascinating, photogenic, and as full of mystique and mystery as that cantering Sad-Eyes and its rake of characterful MkIs.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I could get banned from RMWeb for life for saying this, or at very least make lifelong enemies, but say it I will, regardless:

No-one, repeat no-one, in their sane mind, could ever say a two-car Sprinter is as evocative, compelling, fascinating, photogenic, and as full of mystique and mystery as that cantering Sad-Eyes and its rake of characterful MkIs.

Absolutely true a good many years ago (obviously when you read on) I had a footplate ride from Mallaig to Fort William and back (on the last train of the day) to Morar on a Paxmanised D61XX - an incredibly evocative experience when even a dim oil-lit Distant Signal lamp stood out from way away as it was the only light to be seen anywhere below the stars. Absolutely smashing ride, particularly on the way back as the tea & chips in Fort William polished off the last lingering influence of my earlier voyage round the top shelf in the Ardvasar Arms over on Skye.

Now just imagine the totally unpalatable and substitute a soul-less Sprinter for a proper loco with a real train behind it and just remember that once upon a time the phrase 'the romance of the railway' still meant something - even in the diesel age.

• Like 8

Weirdly enough when I saw that scene at the age of 15, my thought was of a Class 29...!

Great sequence of clips BD; made my night watching that lot!

Dave.

Having reviewed the evidence and taken all mitigating factors into consideration, I have reached the conclusion that the loco is indeed a class 29. The class 29's were GEC, and the controller is a GEC slide unit. The first class 22's and the D600's had a separate pedestal like the class 24's, but they seem to have changed over to a desk controller on further builds. The clip of the locking wheels is another giveaway, because if you look closely, you can just make out the spokes.

Guest Max Stafford

Scottish school of headcodes, Mike. Scottish crews generally couldn't be @rsed putting a full headcode up. If they were energetic that day, you'd get the class of the train in the box! :D

and often the class of the previous train hauled...

Dave.

Edited by Max Stafford

great stuff can someone tell me, in the footage of the 29 ( and in other pics ive seen,also pics in a book called On scottish lines by Derek Penney) what was the reason for the .1.. and 1... headcodes?

I can honestly say I have never seen a picture of a class 29 displaying a propper headcode. Usually mainly dots with the odd letter or number. Did they just not use them in the Scottish region?

Absolutely true a good many years ago (obviously when you read on) I had a footplate ride from Mallaig to Fort William and back (on the last train of the day) to Morar on a Paxmanised D61XX - an incredibly evocative experience when even a dim oil-lit Distant Signal lamp stood out from way away as it was the only light to be seen anywhere below the stars. Absolutely smashing ride, particularly on the way back as the tea & chips in Fort William polished off the last lingering influence of my earlier voyage round the top shelf in the Ardvasar Arms over on Skye.Now just imagine the totally unpalatable and substitute a soul-less Sprinter for a proper loco with a real train behind it and just remember that once upon a time the phrase 'the romance of the railway' still meant something - even in the diesel age.

You have no idea how jealous I am! Its such a shame that no NBL main line diesels survived. If lady luck had just swung slightly the other way we'd have a 21, 22 and a 41 with us now, but alas nothing.........

Edited by D605Eagle