Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

Was wondering the same thing myself. Given the calibre of the 22 and other recent releases I think it'll be worth the wait though

Same here.

Compared to the cl22 thread, the input on info that Dapol Dave is asking for, seems a bit lacking on this thread.

Hi guys,

i hope to be able to post the cad/cam of the class 29 here relatively soon.

cheers

Dave

Cheers Dave,

Its good to know they are in progress and the experts on here can have thier input into this project, although I doubt there will be as many than with the Western.

Just to clarify are you doing the class 29 with centre headcode first, if so are the current catalogue numbers going to change as the Class 29's never wore BR plain green livery as stated with numbers 1001A/B/C. Does this mean you will be doing the 1002A/B/C first and then backdating to Class 21 with disc headcodes?

Regards

Paul

Is it not just as straightforward as the list Paul? BR Green (no warning panel) 21s with discs, and 29s (in three flavours) with route indicators - or am I missing something because the it seems correct?

Class 21

• D1001a D6112 BR Green no yellow warning panel
  • D1001b D6134 BR Green no yellow warning panel
  • D1001c D6150 BR Green no yellow warning panel

Class 29

• D1002a D6130 BR Green full yellow warning panel
  • D1002b D6114 BR Green small yellow warning panel
  • D1002c D6100 BR Blue full yellow warning panel

Hopefully a Class 21 with GSYP will follow in due course - sales permitting!

Edited by Bob-65b
  • Like 3

Is it not just as straightforward as the list Paul? BR Green (no warning panel) 21s with discs, and 29s (in three flavours) with route indicators - or am I missing something because the it seems correct?

[snip]

Confirmed Bob, FWIW - maybe not the best choices, but no reason to think any are incorrect from that info.

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 1

Class 21

Class 29

Thats what I thought, it was only the fact that DapolDave said Class 29 CAD/CAM no mention of the Class 21, this made me think that only the Class 29 was being done and maybe there was a change of plan. They are probably being done at the same time I think Dave has said that he has designed special insert plates so the 21 can be done as well.

Just me being a mong and to eager to have an early plain green 21 to run on my Eastern region layout.

Cheers

Their was quite a lot of differences between the two classes, not just the front ends. So I imagine one will be done first, then followed by the other, much like the disc headcode D63xx. I guess with the interchangeable slides this shouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure Dave will be along to explain all.

Edited by Trevor H

Class 21

Class 29

My purse was getting hit for 2 of these...now its looking like 3!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ScRSG,

sorry but apart from my posting above on the 26th March, i have nothing to add until the catalogue comes out.

However i am intending to put out a rather long press release stating progress on various models, both announced and NEW ones, with a proposed delivery quarter etc.

please bear with me.

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that Dapol appear to have announced that only Class 29's will be produced in the foreseeable future, I have some questions :-

1. Arte all first releases wth centre headcodes? I have just discovered a picture of D6123 in two tone green ( therefore as Class 29) still with original disc headcodes, so is this the form this one will take?

2. If this is the case what are the visible differences between a Class 21 and a Class 29, difficult for amere novice like me to tell from photos.

Basically can you do a 21 from a 29?

Guest Max Stafford

Only 6123 ran as a class 29 with a disc headcode since she was the original prototype for the rebuild. Once the rebuilding programme got into gear in 1965, the four-character headcode became standard as did the two-tone green livery. If you're looking at a photo of an NBL with disc headcode and in plain green you can rest assured it's a 21 - especially if it's dumped in a siding or in one of Scotland's more remote depots!

Dave.

• Like 1

Now that Dapol appear to have announced that only Class 29's will be produced in the foreseeable future, I have some questions :-

A strange option given that the steam/diesel era seems to be so popular as I would have thought then that the 21 would have been the better choice. Or perhaps that just me being hopeful. From a personal point of view it would be a big disappointment if it was just to be the 29. And of course the dilemma - do you convert the 29's and complete the project just as the 21's are released or do you wait with fingers crossed.

I do hope Dapol confirm their plans as the speculation cannot be helpful.

J

• Like 2

Hi,

To avoid speculation (or unfortunately perhaps increase it), i can confirm the following.

1) The 29 will be the first model type of this 'class' to be produced

2) The 21 was dropped from the catalogue simply because although we will be doing it after the 29, i cannot give a definite time frame within the next 18 months.

3) The main reason for doing the 29 first is that we have access to a large scale accurate model that we will laser scan as a basis for our model, and then subsequently putting slides in the tooling to allow for backdating etc to a 21. (like we have with the 22) makes life easier.

4) Yes we are producing a 4th 29 and yes we know it will have a disc headcode (the benefits of slides).

5) It will be PLuX22 compatible.

6) It will have a 'clip in' cab as per the Western to allow for modellers to add crew etc.

Hope this helps

cheers

Dave

• Like 6

That sounds like a very pragmatic approach, Dave. I think both are set to be popular models, their area of operation, duties and time frames are distictly different. I don't think that amongst the more serious end of the hobby (as I would regard the Class 22 market) the ability to get hold of 29s earlier will dull the enthusiasm for the 21s when they arrive.

• Like 3