Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

You have no idea how jealous I am! Its such a shame that no NBL main line diesels survived. If lady luck had just swung slightly the other way we'd have a 21, 22 and a 41 with us now, but alas nothing.........

Its sheer bad luck that D6319 got cut up after it was 'preserved'. I would imagine the buyers felt a bit short changed when they were given D821 as compensation.

... headcode. ..Did they just not use them in the Scottish region?

They did on inter-Regionals, and certainly in the mid 70s* I remember them in use on Aberdeen - GQS/Edinburgh and possibly other principal internal services, but otherwise they were generally rare. To be fair, if you were halfway up the WHL or the Far North and didnt know what train you were signalling, there'd be not much helping you ;)

* Edit - t'would be my 1975 Railrover, as the '76 one was post-'0000' era.

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

ScR Drivers knew where they were going and what they were pulling, and in most cases the signalmen & station staff knew what to expect and when, so full train reporting Numbers were only for foreigners and (g)numpties.

If the driver didn't know, then he probably hadn't signed the route, so it was down to the Second Man.

Hat, coat, galoshes & any other outdoor apparel that you can think of has now been donned and can just be discerned through the rolling Scotch mist as I retreat.

Regards

Ian

• Like 3

well id like a class 29 but now i think id like a pet otter moreso :)

Many moons ago I visited the Otter sanctuary adjacent to the station at Buckfastleigh.................................the stench was indescribable, no wonder they spend so much time in the water :)

STEVE

id still like one, would take it to model railway exhibitions, smell wouldnt be a problem :)

i said earlier a few shots appear in "On Scottish lines" ive looked in it and its not that book, does anyone know of a book, hardback I think with a few colour shots of green class 29s in? the shots are of them working trains on the west highland line i think, Its puzzling me now trying to remember the book title.

yeah it is 2002. Theres about a dozen good 29 shots in it mind you ;)

Would that 2002 book be The Heyday of the Scottish Diesels?

Title Page 6121/32 Grangemouth Sept 1971

Page 40 6112 Cader April 1971

Page 44 D6107 Crainlarich

Page 45 D6103 Monnessie Gorge April 1968

Page 46 D6103 Fort William April 1968

Page 47 D6129 Corpach April 1968

Page 48 D6129 Locheilside April 1967

Page 63 6112 Dundee Tay Bridge August 1969

Page 66 6116 Friarton Shed August 1969

Page 69 6132 Grangemouth September 1961

This is a fabulous volume, all color, really is a nice addition to a library...

Oh that's just so photogenic, I know they never worked the Waverley Route but I won't be able to resist Dapol's when it's released. Having seen their 22 in the plastic yesterday for the first time, I'm sorely tempted to bring my Forest of Dean fantasy shunting puzzle forward by a couple of years...

Oh that's just so photogenic, I know they never worked the Waverley Route but I won't be able to resist Dapol's when it's released. Having seen their 22 in the plastic yesterday for the first time, I'm sorely tempted to bring my Forest of Dean fantasy shunting puzzle forward by a couple of years...

All these seriously tasty models that have been released in the last couple of years, its painfull to model any area/era because so many are just not right! I think I might just bury my head in the clouds and run what I damn well like! :lol:

Loks like its had a traction motor flashover and bogie fire. (I'll bet there will be comments now about bogies of the nasal kind burning) ;)

You'd have thought with the scrapping of class 21s at the time, BR would have swapped its bogie out for a good one off a 21. What a crazy waste of money!

If the driver didn't know, then he probably hadn't signed the route,

If the driver sign the route he wouldn't be driving the train anyway.

It's a DoT legal requirement that drivers must only work trains over routes they are familiar.

Cheers

David

Edited by Waveydavey

If the driver sign the route he wouldn't be driving the train anyway.

It's a DoT legal requirement that drivers must only work trains over routes they are familiar.

Cheers

David

You can be conducted over a route you don't sign by another driver who does sign it ;)

• RMweb Gold

You can be conducted over a route you don't sign by another driver who does sign it ;)

Exactly so - and sorry to continue slightly O/T but since when has there been a 'DoT legal requirement' in respect of Driver's route knowledge, as far as I'm aware it has always been a managerial issue and presumably still is as route knowledge maintenance standards differ between operators as does road learning methodology in some respects.

• Like 2

You'd have thought with the scrapping of class 21s at the time, BR would have swapped its bogie out for a good one off a 21. What a crazy waste of money!

I suppose there's no telling when it could happen. There's the case of the fire which led to 45106's demise, apparently the result of a flash-over which was caused by loose terminals on a traction motor.

• 3 months later...