Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Not coming from Stockport I wouldn't know about that!

As the majority of United fans are not from Manchester, and that's a well known fact, the idea was a good joke even if the detail let it down! ;)

Not coming from Stockport I wouldn't know about that!

As the majority of United fans are not from Manchester, and that's a well known fact, the idea was a good joke even if the detail let it down! ;)

The majority of United fans aren't from Manchester, the majority of Juventus fans aren't from Turin, the majority of Real Madrid fans aren't from Madrid, the Majority of Barcelona fans aren't from Barcelona, the majority of Bayern Munich fans aren't from Munich, if you want to play with the big boys that's a price you have to pay........

The majority of Manchester aren't City fans, or are you trying to say that even when we weren't very good we had 10,000-20,000 day trippers from out of the Greater Manchester area as that was normally the difference in gates at Maine Rd and Old Trafford, yeah that stands up, bigger gates in the 50s and 60s too, when travel wasn't as easy....Yep Lars and his Norwegian mates used to make the trip every other week.

Get used to it, it's the model for City, you don't seriously think they're investing all that money for the benefit of football fans with an SK postcode, they want a global brand, they going to turn you into everything that you used to slate us for........It's a price of successs, it's already started with City, so what would you prefer, mid table mediocrity or hordes of day trippers? Unfortunately it's an either or question. 

• RMweb Gold

Whats interesting is if you have grown up in the last twenty years supporting United you've been very,very spoilt.I'm old enough to remember them going 26 years without the title when Liverpool and others dominated.There was football before the premier league was invented.

Does anyone else think its unlikely that a newly promoted team wins the league the next season as Forest did in the 70s.That would be one hell of an achievement in todays game.Then they had Cloughie back then.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting question Rob,

As the gulf is so large, there would need to be an absolutely massive investment into any such club in the closed season for that to be even a remote possibility

Given that football ownership is an instant gratification thing, I cant see anybody with the required money being patient enough to buy a champoinship club, wait for them to be promoted and then bung in multi millions. Especially not when there are big premier league clubs up for sale at the moment - Everton for example. That would make a much better business proposition.

Without the money to invest, as you suggest it would be an incredible achievement. Blackburn finished 4th after being newly promoted (using Jack Walkers millions) but no promoted team has got into the top 5 since 2001 (thanks Wikipedia!)

• RMweb Gold

Just happened to read an article by Ian Bowyer who was in the Forest side that did it and then won back to back European cups.A truly 'great' achievement when you look back.

Also in my lifetime I've never seen my team finish higher than 6th in any division.Thats what you call a supporter I suppose.I'm no glory hunter ;) :jester:

Whats interesting is if you have grown up in the last twenty years supporting United you've been very,very spoilt.I'm old enough to remember them going 26 years without the title when Liverpool and others dominated.There was football before the premier league was invented.

Does anyone else think its unlikely that a newly promoted team wins the league the next season as Forest did in the 70s.That would be one hell of an achievement in todays game.Then they had Cloughie back then.

I started going to Old Trafford as a nipper in 1970, so yeah I know about pre Premier league football, on the 26 year bit, fair comment it was but if you'd told me in April '92 after watching United lose at Anfield to capitulate in the title race to Leeds that we'd win one league title as opposed to equalling and then overhauling their then record eighteen tally, put it quite simply I'd have thought you'd escaped from a local mental institution. Not as much is seemingly made of Liverpool's wait for a title, if they don't win it in the next two years then they will equal or 'record', having spent the majority of the eighties having this rammed down my throat makes it feel a whole lot better now.......

As to a team coming up and winning the league I suppose the nearest to Forest's feat are Leeds in coming up in 89-90 then winning it in 91-92, but now, just can't see it happening even if a form of FFP is used, the elite top 4 currently generate so much money from the Champions League the rest are going to struggle, the top four may change, some years back it would be United, Arsenal Newcastle, Leeds, then Chelsea and City into the mix, with Leeds and Newcastle both suffering relegation and in Leeds case financial implosion. So, no I don't think we'll see it again, just as we'll not see a team like Celtic comprised solely of Scots win the European Cup, like anything else the game is evolving and changing, not always for the better.

• Like 2

Well done to Man Utd for another title - they have been the only team not to have really slipped up at any point this year. My lot (Chelsea, that is) started brilliantly under RdM, faded, shone, faded again... basically about as consistently bright as a set of hazard lights. Totally unintentional use of the word "hazard" in Chelsea context, as it goes... never mind, doesn't mata...

Yes, you can hardly say that luck played a part when Man U will almost certainly win the league by a double-figure margin - I could whinge and moan, spitting feathers about Arsenal's insane decision to let RVP go to their strongest rival, but there's really no point - fact is, he's a Red now, and he's had a fantastic season, doing what Wazza seems to struggle to do for more than a few games on the trot.

So, congrats to SAF and his boys, the best team won. Let's just hope that, whoever wins the league next year, their rivals have the decency to take the fight to the last couple of games!

• RMweb Premium

I don't think you will ever get a team winning promotion one season and then the league the next again. The gulf is now just too big. I suppose Man City would be the closest to this in modern times...promotion to champions in 11 or so years; and they had to throw a whole ton of cash at it...

QPR tried it...and dysmally failed. It goes to show that you need more than money alone, you need to fan-base and facilities... How on earth Pompey felt they could afford £60,000 per week wages for individual players when your stadium has a capacity of less than 30,000?

Next season will be very interesting in the Premiership...how will Cardiff City - big club, megabucks owner - manage?

I've grown up in the last 20 years (but don't support one of the big boys, I'm a Villa fan) and I have started to question what the point is?

Did it used to be like this? I think in my time watching football i've seen Leeds, Utd, Blackburn, arsenal, chelsea and last season Man city win the title - thats 6 teams in 21 years

whats the point in trying to compete the best we can hope for is a 5th place finish and even when we looked remotely like getting in the top 4 man city bankrolled themselves  steamrollered us, spurs and everton through stupid spending. Its demoralising and you question what are you competing for?

If it were upto me Id tell them all to sling their hooks and ###### off to a super league so the rest of us can have a more level playing field, more variety and more competition.

on a separate topic - after the first 20 mins yesterday - its the first time i've thought - that lot deserve to go down, there is a fine line between "inexperience" and poor players....

Edited by A_S

• RMweb Premium

I've grown up in the last 20 years (but don't support one of the big boys, I'm a Villa fan) and I have started to question what the point is?

Did it used to be like this? I think in my time watching football i've seen Leeds, Utd, Blackburn, arsenal, chelsea and last season Man city win the title - thats 6 teams in 21 years

whats the point in trying to compete the best we can hope for is a 5th place finish and even when we looked remotely like getting in the top 4 man city bankrolled themselves  steamrollered us, spurs and everton through stupid spending. Its demoralising and you question what are you competing for?

If it were upto me Id tell them all to sling their hooks and ###### off to a super league so the rest of us can have a more level playing field, more variety and more competition.

on a separate topic - after the first 20 mins yesterday - its the first time i've thought - that lot deserve to go down, there is a fine line between "inexperience" and poor players....

So what about the Scottish premier league, where basically its only ever been divided up between Rangers & Celtic, with very few others winning the title. At the moment due to Ranger's own stupidity, Celtic would seem to have the title to themselves for the next 3 years at least.

Did it used to be like this? 

Welcome to my 70's and 80s, yeah it did used to be like this, Look at the Meseryside domination of the league in that period, Liverpool and Everton dominated with occasional titles from Villa, Forrest, Arsenal etc. We won the occasional cup and mounted an occasional title challenge, not really very impressive for a club that was supposed to be one of the glamour sides.......... 

Football is cyclical and there's nothing to say that in 10 years time it'll still be United, City, Chelsea etc, it only needs Abramovich to get bored, the debt situation at United to wrong and the owners at City to decide that actually horse racing is more their thing...............

Villa's problem is the it's looks to an outsider that Lamberts been told to drastically cut the wage bill to the overall detriment of the team, there's something not quite right when your supposed 'star' big name players are kicking their heels and they're still on the payroll 2 transfer windows in.

Seem to remember a game at Villa where we were famously told 'you'll win nothing with kids'

Villa are a big city club and should be able to generate their own income to have a half decent side, if not there's something seriously wrong with the structure at the club.

Oh dear, RD, you don't half take things seriously, is it a pre-requisite of the United fan these days that they have their sense of humour removed?

It was a JOKE, man, just like your's of Mancini... I laughed at that one when I first saw it, can you not realise that one I posted, whilst being a joke based on United's fan base is also one where you can have the last laugh because it's that very wide fan base that's enabled your team to get the money in to be the success you have over the past few decades... Ironic isn't it! 

Why is it these days that's it's ok to poke fun at someone elses club but then take umbrage when someone does it to your own club... I feel that modern fans should stop taking themselves so seriously and see the lighter side!

(PS I take it that, unlike in the old days where a Manchester fan would pretty much always support their city's other team in a tournament in which they have no interest, you'll be supporting Wigan in the Cup? I suspect I know the answer, but please don't try to justify it if you are, just confirm it!)

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I read an interesting little article in the Metro (other freebee tat is available) from Colin Murray about Suarez and his biting 'outrage'...and it was about that word...outrage. Outrage is a strong word, but to paraphrase Murray; outrage is for someone who kills their children, or beats up a pensioner (or worse) for the couple of quid in their purse. 

But a footballer biting another footballer? Outrage? Really?

This sums up the sense of perspective (or lack thereof) from the media when it comes to sport; and football in particular. I'm sure we are all guilty of tribalism, when poor performances and (heaven forbid) relegation boil the blood, but do Rafa Bentitez or Steve Keane (for example) really deserve the ritual, and in some cases deeply offensive and personal, abuse for their 'failings'. The worst that can happen is a failure to qualify for the Champions League or dropping down a division...in other walks of life systematic 'incompetence' can (and has) cost someone their life. 

But, then again, this is a country where Jodie Marsh was voted the 3rd most hated woman in Britain (behind Rose West and Myra Hindley), and Jeremy Beadle beat Peter Sutcliffe and Reginald Christie to the title of Britain's most hated man...

• RMweb Premium

Bayern blitz Barcelona 4-0. Is it all over ?

Well I can see Barca scoring 5 at home, but not Bayern failing to score, so maybe it is. Will be a cracking game though. Bayern are on a mission this year after the pain of losing the final last year in their own stadium. They could do the treble, as have already won the Bundesliga and are in the Cup final vs Stuttgart (who I happen to go and see occasionally) on June 1st.

I don't think even Messi can get out of this one.

Rob 

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure we are all guilty of tribalism

..... but not canibalism. :D

I can agrre with what you say about pespective, espcially when it comes to the 'celebrity culture' but when it comes to one human being assulting another, for no logical reason, it is an outrage.  That that assault involves biting and takes place during a sporting event makes it all the more outrageous.

10 game ban for Suarez, considering it was 8 last time for verbal abuse I am not surprised it is more although the club seem to be. I hope the club don't appeal and drag it out and Suarez takes his punishment. To me that would be the most dignified way to approach it. I am a lifelong Liverpool fan and hate to see him dragging the club down he needs to go. He can't seem to learn his lessons. As an example when Cantona jumped into the crowd he took his punishment and 'behaved' himself from then on. Maybe Suarez needs the hair dryer!!!

Can I put my perspective on the Suarez issue... I work as a Railway Guard, from time to time we suffer a fair bit of verbal abuse, normally I can deal with it and we all move on... 

However in my job i do not accept that i should be subject to any type of physical abuse, the lowest level is spitting as it normally mises, however I would put biting alongside being punched and would expect the individual to be severely punished, a criminal record as a minimum. 

Now lets look at a footballer, it's a contact game so as a footballer I'd expect the odd bruise and possibly worse if a tackle went wrong... However I would not expect to be bitten, which in my view takes it well beyond the expected norm. There are serious implications when being spat on or bitten as some horrible things can be passed on... Now I'm not saying Suarez has anything nasty (except a temper), but we simply don't know, and so the punishment should be very severe.

You may think I'm going OTT, but as the recipient of a punch from a rowdy passenger and knowing someone who was deliberately bitten and had to wait 6 months before getting the all clear I feel that I have some experience of the consequences of his actions.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Hobby that this is a serious matter. It's not a foul, its an assault in law for which he could be charged. He's lucky to be only dealt with by the FA.

As regards the publicity, I'm afraid that sports news media (especially sky sports news) are so desperate for content that they were rubbing their hands with glee when it happened. They spent the whole of the next day prattling on about it - what the world and his wife thought about it, what might happen to him, blah blah blah. It was the same with the Oscar Pretorius nonsense. A bail hearing in a murder trial in a foreign country getting wall to wall coverage on a sport channel for days on end - the only connection with sport being that the accused is a runner. Hey ho.

• Like 3

Ancelotti out and Arsene to PSG is the rumour doing the rounds now, so if that happens how would the Gooners react? Good thing or bad, can't make my mind up myself, I'm still not certain if his hands have been tied financially or it's just sheer stubbornness on his part to shop for the 'next big thing'?  

• RMweb Gold

I don't follow any of the teams involved but I am watching things unfold as in interested outsider.

The position changes by the second.

Fascinating, but probably unbearable for those with a more vested interest.

The position changes by the second.

Fascinating, but probably unbearable for those with a more vested interest.

I must be one of those people. 

First League win (3-2) by Leicester City at Nottingham Forest for 41 years, with the winning goal in injury time, and blundering into the Play-Offs thanks to Blackpool holding out against Bolton.

This is probably more than we deserve, as we were second in the Championship with 53 points after 29 games and since then we have shown "relegation" form gaining a paltry 15 points from the last 17 games.

Just the small matter of getting past Watford's loan Mafia next - which is not going to be easy, especially as they have done the "double" over us this season.

• RMweb Gold

Having thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's Championship finale and now watching a fascinating League Two playoff, I sometimes wonder if we really need the Premiership and all of its associated 'baggage'.

• Like 1