Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Hailsham Town 4 - Lingfield 0

Reserve Section Premier

A comfortable win for the Ressies against a Lingfield side who offered little. Nick Barden opened the scoring from the penalty spot after Lee Lock was clearly pushed, before turning in the second shortly before half time after a scramble from a corner. The visitors started brighter in the second half, but after a flowing move, sub Wayne Davey made it three with a fine finish. Davey turned provider in injury time - racing on to Cooper's flick to cross for Craig Norman to power a header past the 'keeper at the near post. Very pleased with that performance.

I liked the Brazilian riot police clip, it got a qood response on a ref message board I frequent.

The Sunday morning comedy leagues don't start up again for a couple of weeks since the weather in Connecticut isn't that reliable in March, but we had a postponed match today, should have been played last October but we had a very wet autumn season. So it was off to the seaside, a pitch where the wind whips in off the Long Island Sound. A fair few players seem to have decided that a warm bed held more attraction than a football match, so it was 8v9 for most of the match. Made my life as AR-1 easy since there were no substitutions to manage.

A chilly start to the season, but it was still good to get out on a field, run up and down and wave a flag around. Three penalty kicks in the match, all good decisions, only one resulted in a goal. I was left reflecting on the stick we get when we get it wrong, but our errors are few compared to those committed by the players.

Can we please have rooney wrapped in some cotton wool before the world cup? blink.gif

And how did that 2-1 by Munich just happen like that? Crazy match...

Sod the world cup smile.gif I'm more worried about the title run in. We got what we deserved last night, very poor, midfield atrocious and switched off defending.

I went to bed last night thinking that Arsenal were fortunate to get a draw, with a late - and I thought, fairly dodgy - penalty.

This morning, I read that Puyol's tackle may have broken Fabregas' leg. If so, that's really tough luck. To me, the incident was untidy, but not a bad foul by any means. As I say, even the award of a penalty seemed harsh, never mind the sending off. To read that bones may have been broken is just baffling.

Regular readers of this thread will have noticed my failure to gloat over my team's last two results (OK, I'll mention them - they were 5-0 and 7-1...). To suggest that my quietness has anything to do with nervousness about Chelsea's next opponents would be scurrilous, outrageous... and quite true.

• RMweb Gold

Burnley managed their first away game without losing. Can they stay up there for the remainder of the season? I'm not sure.

Now I'm absolutely positively negative. :(

• RMweb Premium

Regular readers of this thread will have noticed my failure to gloat over my team's last two results (OK, I'll mention them - they were 5-0 and 7-1...). To suggest that my quietness has anything to do with nervousness about Chelsea's next opponents would be scurrilous, outrageous... and quite true.

Duly noted...wink.gif

The Pompey result was kind of inevitable and par for the course for a team that are struggling, and now are suffering fairly serious injury problems...although in fairness these came after the Chelsea result. That said, no matter how poor at team is, Chelsea still needed to actually score the goals...so yes that was a good result for them.

In terms of Villa, I think you just put that result down to a bad day at the office for them....you get results like that from time to time. Amazing to think that the Chelsea manager's job has been subject to such speculation recently...they're still in the FA cup, and following those two games have a greatly improved goal difference (+11 goals in two games) are still pretty well-placed for the title...

What a set of results today!!! Leeds beaten 3-0 :blink: by Swindon! Charlton beat MK Dons 1-0 :lol:

Man Uted beaten by Chelsea 1-2 (Drogba, offside, old story now!)

And perhaps the best result of the day - Chris Kamara confusing himself on Sky Sports again with smiles and laughs all round :D

Hailsham Town Reserves 2 - Eastbourne Town Reserves 0

A warm and sunny afternoon at The Beaconsfield saw the Stringers comfortable 2-0 winners in the Reserve Section Premier. Peter Cooper opened the scoring, hooking home from close range early on, and when Wayne Davey coolly slotted home a second before the break, Hailsham looked comfortable. There was controversy at both ends - both sides could have had penalties before Hailsham got one, only for Mark French to see his effort well saved. Hailsham had a third ruled out in the second half for a dubious offside call, but looked more than comfortable against the side second in the league.

Now I'm absolutely positively negative. :(

Even as a blue Manc, I do feel for Burnley. My first footie match was at Turf Moor back in 1972, if I remember rightly. The score was a more respectable 1-0 to City then. Although it's looking a bit of a lost cause now, I do hope Burnley stay up.

Oh dear. Now that Chelsea have beaten Man U, I'm actually daring to hope that they'll win the title. That'll never do...

Obviously I'm biased, but I do think that the dodgy refereeing balanced itself out on Saturday. Drogba offside vs Macheda handball, the penalty shout for Park (if he'd dived less theatrically, he'd have probably got it) vs the one for Anelka (ironically, I don't think NA made enough fuss, but I'd prefer it that way, TBH). Hard to dispute that Chelsea were slightly better on the day, but then, as I say, I'm as biased as any other fan!

Other than Arsenal nicking a last-second winner again, I was pleased with most of the results. West Ham thoroughly deserved the point, as did Birmingham City, and it was nice to see Man City and Villa playing like we all know they should. Darren Bent has long been a favourite of mine, so I was pleased for him, too, although I wish he'd not do that Fred Flintstone shuffle when he's lining up for a penalty!

Eastbourne UA 2 - Hailsham 0

A scrappy derby in windswept conditions. United took the lead with the first chance of the game, Jules rising highest to head home a free kick, but Hailsham had plenty of first half possession and were perhaps unfortunate to go in behind at the break. After the interval, Hailsham again saw plenty of the ball, but lacked a cutting edge - Tristan Jarvis saw a well-taken goal ruled out for offside, before United killed the game off with a brilliantly taken, curling effort from the edge of the box that left Dawber with no chance. Cooper's run onto a superb crossfield ball ended with a deft chip that Maynard did well to hold above his head, and we had a possible penalty shout late on, but other than that, didn't really get the ball into the box enough to cause problems. I did, however, win a bottle of red on the raffle. That's someone's birthday present sorted then :D

I just wonder - with some resignation - is he going to be one of the top English strikers in a world cup AGAIN and get left behind in favour of Defoe (lazy)? He's scored a big tally again, and is outgunning Defoe on so many levels.

Spurs fans don't know what they're missing, frankly. Redknapp was wrong to sell him on, though I feel he'd have been better served going from Charlton to a club that knows what they're doing - Arsenal maybe ;)

On a serious note, Sunderland has been great for him - a very hard working team around him that aren't complete pre-madonnas like some football teams I could mention!

In other news - Charlton won 1-0 today against Carlisle - a very end to end game that should have had a least a dozen goals in at one end, and half a dozen the other...! :blink:

Heh, how very Non League.

Just been informed that our left back, Justin Leatham, won't be playing again this season. Apparently his missus doesn't want him training two nights a week and playing on Saturdays - He's going to turn out occasionally for Polegate Town in the East Sussex Premier (Level 11), but won't be playing County League football again.

Thumb, The, Under ;)

Redhill 3 - Hailsham Town 0

A disapointing performance against a very good team. Hailsham began brightly - Cooper shooting well over early on - before Redhill began to control the game, with a quick tempo and good movement. The hosts had one ruled out around 20 minutes in for a clear offside, before Hailsham's best chance fell to Tristan Jarvis, who had time to take a couple more touches rather than shooting over from distance. With around 10 minutes to go before the break, Redhill took the lead - Hailsham caught on the counter, with the ball worked into the box and Dawber beaten at his near post. 5 minutes later, the lead was doubled - another direct ball, and a cool finish. At 2-0 down at half time, Hailsham needed a quick start to the second half, but found the Redhill defence first to every ball. Barden saw yellow for a collison - it wasn't a foul, less still a booking - but as time ticked on, only the odd run from Cooper and O'Reilly caused problems. Energetic sub Lee Lock certainly improved Hailsham's tempo after coming on as part of a triple change early in the second half, but there was no coming back, and Redhill completed the win late on with a third, fired across the area and into the far corner after a quickly-moved counter attack.

Football frustrations - life-long Gillingham supporter - need I say more ?? :rolleyes:

You have my sympathies chap - life long Addick here, felt the same way after Millwall thumped us 4-0 a few weeks ago...! :(

The race for the league one 2nd spot is hotting up though - any one of 6 teams could still get it mathematically...! :blink: