Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Once again it has come down to the last day of the season. Everyone thinks it will be Manchester City's title. They may be right. But just remember this is Manchester City, who always do things the hard way, remember the home game against QPR two years ago. This title race has had so many twists and turns that maybe, just maybe there will be one more.

What price a Scouser, Kevin Nolan, hitting the winner for West Ham and then Gerrard scoring the winner for Liverpool in the 96th minute. What a fitting way to mark the 25th anniversary of Hillsborough. Somehow I doubt that will happen...but you just never know. I am only sorry I won't see it. Will have to head off to Pride Park for our own big game long before the last day drama has finished!

Well we did it the easy way this time Andy! A team that played as a team for the whole season unlike last season... Well done City...

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Will have to head off to Pride Park for our own big game long before the last day drama has finished!

Enjoy your day out at Wembley Andy.It's a great place to be if you win.

• RMweb Premium

To be fair, I don't think my "mighty" Hammers offered much in the way of opposition. 75% possession to City according to BBC Sport - there was only one way this game was going to end.

Congrats City anyway - hopefully we'll give you more of a game next season.

75% possession 

That's been the norm for the top 4 this season, though, Colin, but they still need to break through the defence and score, something Liverpool didn't do against Chelsea (73%)...

Anyhow I don't care, City won the Prem and Hammy the Spanish GP!! :)

Once again it has come down to the last day of the season.

No it didn't.

There was only a mathematical chance that Liverpool could have been champions if City had lost and that wasn't likely.

There was a chance that Chelsea could have finished in 2nd place if Liverpool had lost, but who was getting excited over 2nd place?

At the bottom, the relegation places were already taken and apart from final finishing positions for the bottom half of the table, everyone else was in their final league position set last weekend.

At least in previous years there was always a desperate last minute scramble at the bottom of the table and we didn't get that this time around.

All in all the least "exciting" last day of the season in the Premiership for years; unless of course you are a City fan.

• RMweb Gold

No it didn't.

There was only a mathematical chance that Liverpool could have been champions if City had lost and that wasn't likely.

Yes it did, whilst ever there was a mathmatical chance, City nearly blew it last year on the last day.

Mike.

Yes it did, whilst ever there was a mathmatical chance, City nearly blew it last year on the last day.

Mike.

It was 2 years ago, if you're talking about winning the title.

This time round I agree it wasn't likely to happen, especially as a draw would have been enough, the opposition (West Ham) weren't very good and Man City's team confidence would have been sky high.

If anything, I think there was more chance of Liverpool losing today.

Well we did it the easy way this time Andy! A team that played as a team for the whole season unlike last season... Well done City...

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

No it didn't.

There was a chance that Chelsea could have finished in 2nd place if Liverpool had lost, but who was getting excited over 2nd place?

At the bottom, the relegation places were already taken and apart from final finishing positions for the bottom half of the table, everyone else was in their final league position set last weekend.

At least in previous years there was always a desperate last minute scramble at the bottom of the table and we didn't get that this time around.

All in all the least "exciting" last day of the season in the Premiership for years; unless of course you are a City fan.

So the fact that there was a definite, if unlikely, sequence of results that could have saw Liverpool snatch the title from City meant that it didn't come down to the last day then? The title wasn't over was it?? I do agree that, with the relegation battle being over and with the way the first halves at City, Liverpool and Spurs went meant that it was not as very exciting last day. From a neutral it was pretty boring.

That said congrats to Manchester City for winning the title without any last day dramas.

But for me the biggest drama was at Pride Park. Derby 4 Brighton 1. A superb performance from the Rams and a great day. Whatever happens at Wembley it has been a great season and Steve McLaren has done a stunning job.

So the fact that there was a definite, if unlikely, sequence of results that could have saw Liverpool snatch the title from City meant that it didn't come down to the last day then? The title wasn't over was it?? I do agree that, with the relegation battle being over and with the way the first halves at City, Liverpool and Spurs went meant that it was not as very exciting last day. From a neutral it was pretty boring.

That said congrats to Manchester City for winning the title without any last day dramas.

But for me the biggest drama was at Pride Park. Derby 4 Brighton 1. A superb performance from the Rams and a great day. Whatever happens at Wembley it has been a great season and Steve McLaren has done a stunning job.

Do you think Clough would have done the same Andy? Glad your board didnt think so

• RMweb Gold

To be fair, I don't think my "mighty" Hammers offered much in the way of opposition. 75% possession to City according to BBC Sport - there was only one way this game was going to end.

Congrats City anyway - hopefully we'll give you more of a game next season.

On MotD it did not even look like Hammers had 25% possession. I don't think they were ever shown in the Man City half of the pitch.

• RMweb Premium

Come on, be fair :nono: - West Ham did manage one (off target) shot ;)!

They (Hammers) really need to sort themselves out before August, otherwise there really will only be one outcome next season :cry: :cry:.

On MotD it did not even look like Hammers had 25% possession. I don't think they were ever shown in the Man City half of the pitch.

I can't comment on that match as I didn't watch, but given that MOTD only show 6 to 8 minutes maximum of each their featured games and only 3 - 5 minutes of each the others selected (less than a minute for the ones not covered - just the goals if any), I imagine it would be hard work in the editing suite to cram in as many "highlights" as possible and try and maintain a true representation of the balance of play.

However, I often think the have no intention of even trying.

In my experience from attending matches, watching live coverage or the hour long (per game) "highlights" on Sky, all to often MOTD not only fail to represent the game accurately, but very frequently skew the impression of the game.

• RMweb Premium

The highlights were only 6 mins out of 90+, anything can be portrayed in that time. But admittedly we never showed much up front, mainly cos they were all on the parked bus at the back.

A couple of Hammers positives from this season. We seem to have found a goalkeeper, the defence when fit didn't let too many in. Not rocket science to see where any money should be spent then.

World cup soon, then it'll all start over again.

Rob 

Do you think Clough would have done the same Andy? Glad your board didnt think so

I will be honest and say no. I do not think we will be in this position had Nigel Clough still been in charge. At the beginning of the season he targeted a top six finish. Under him we may have got 6th if we were lucky. I think Clough did a great job in his five years in charge, and his contribution to Derby County should never be forgotten as he turned around a struggling club, stabilising things whilst cutting the wage bill. I was sad to see him sacked and was very much against the board back in September when they made the decision. I am happy to admit that I was wrong and they got it spot on with the change. Bringing in a manager who has been a part of previous success in Steve McLaren and adding two backroom members who know about our club has turned out to be a great decision. Should I ever meet our Chief Excecutive Sam Rush in the street I will shake his hand and admit I got it wrong.

BREAKING NEWS:

Everton could face Misani Olusu in the first round of next seasons Europa League.

For those who've never heard of them.....Everton are a small team based in Liverpool, England.

Oh do you mean that small team who finished above Spurs and the mighty Manchester United! :jester:  :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

BREAKING NEWS:

Everton could face Misani Olusu in the first round of next seasons Europa League.

For those who've never heard of them.....Everton are a small team based in Liverpool, England.

That would be the same "small team" who have finished above Liverpool several times in the Premiership despite not relying on foreign ownership or dodgy finance deals........

And no, I don't know who Misani Olusu are. Easy to see why people prefer to be in C1: The away matches are easier to find and travel to.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That would be the same "small team" who have finished above Liverpool several times in the Premiership despite not relying on foreign ownership or dodgy finance deals........

They finished above Liverpool in the league the same season the reds won the Champions League.

THE new football league structure will see established clubs playing hypothetical matches against some of Britain’s favourite fictional teams.

FA chairman Greg Dyke said the new League 3 will develop young English talent by helping them imagine what it would be like to play against Roy Race from Melchester Rovers.

Dyke said: “A committee will decide how a real team fares against a fictional team based on the real team’s three previous results.

“So if you are lose-draw-draw, you might sneak a home win against the school team from Gregory’s Girl, but you are going to get taken apart by Melchester, particularly if the committee decides that Roy is on form at the moment.”

He added: “Harchester United from Sky One’s Dream Team will be another big test for the real clubs, but they can also be confident of a win against sides like Renford Rejects and Jossy’s Giants because they are just children.

“I suspect that most seasons League 3 will be a two-horse race between the PoWs and the Nazis from Escape to Victory.

THE new football league structure will see established clubs playing hypothetical matches against some of Britain’s favourite fictional teams.

FA chairman Greg Dyke said the new League 3 will develop young English talent by helping them imagine what it would be like to play against Roy Race from Melchester Rovers.

Dyke said: “A committee will decide how a real team fares against a fictional team based on the real team’s three previous results.

“So if you are lose-draw-draw, you might sneak a home win against the school team from Gregory’s Girl, but you are going to get taken apart by Melchester, particularly if the committee decides that Roy is on form at the moment.”

He added: “Harchester United from Sky One’s Dream Team will be another big test for the real clubs, but they can also be confident of a win against sides like Renford Rejects and Jossy’s Giants because they are just children.

“I suspect that most seasons League 3 will be a two-horse race between the PoWs and the Nazis from Escape to Victory.

Mind you Harchester United will only be a test if half of their squad haven't been murdered, poisoned, died in a plane crash, died in a bus crash or found to have fake passports!

Became a guest supporter for Rotherham last night as my daughters best mate of 25 years is married to one of their players.  Great win for the Millers, so there could be a few more supporters from 'dine sithe' at Wembley for the final playoff.

On the other hand, I may just watch it on TV... :no:

I met a fairy the other day and was granted one wish. 'I want to live forever' i said. 'I cant grant wishes like that' came the reply. 'Ok, i want to live until Liverpool win the premier league'

'You crafty git said the fairy.