The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Providing Mahrez's hamstring holds up.

It seems widely reported as "cramp" rather than a big hamstring problem. It is quite tiring try to shake off three defenders for a whole game, but he managed it for a few vital seconds on Saturday.

Edited by cary hill

It seems widely reported as "cramp" rather than a big hamstring problem. It is quite tiring try to shake off three defenders for a whole game, but he managed for a few vital seconds on Saturday.

And you could probably get away without Mahrez in the next game. In fact you could probably play the reserves and still get three points against the doomed Geordies.

And you could probably get away without Mahrez in the next game. In fact you could probably play the reserves and still get three points against the doomed Geordies.

I just hope McClaren is still at the helm next Monday night as it might be slightly more challenging if he is not.

I wonder if, after winning the Premier League this season, any Leicester players will celebrate by doing the equivalent of Alan Shearer's fence creosoting.....

A bit early to be smelling the creosote and the Foxes won't count their chickens yet, as they are due to collapse completely at any moment due to the pressure according to Wenger, Pellegrini et al.

I still think having 19 points last season after 29 games and being 8 points adrift of safety was real pressure compared to having a completely unexpected tilt at the Premiership. 

After all, apart from currently having the Premiership's leading goalscorer, the player involved in more goals than any other Premiership player, the player with more tackles and interceptions than other Premiership player, two of the top three players for other ball recoveries, the most improved English midfielder this season etc., etc, Leicester really have had absolutely nothing going for them this season.

I think they should just carry on with their simple game plan because, as the Watford manager said on Saturday, everybody knows how Leicester are going to play by now, but stopping them playing is a different matter.

Another six points should just about guarantee the Foxes a top six finish which would be their highest finish for 53 years.

One game at a time.....

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I just hope McClaren is still at the helm next Monday night as it might be slightly more challenging if he is not.

A bit early to be smelling the creosote and the Foxes won't count their chickens yet, as they are due to collapse completely at any moment due to the pressure according to Wenger, Pellegrini et al.

I still think having 19 points last season after 29 games and being 8 points adrift of safety was real pressure compared to having a completely unexpected tilt at the Premiership. 

After all, apart from currently having the Premiership's leading goalscorer, the player involved in more goals than any other Premiership player, the player with more tackles and interceptions than other Premiership player, two of the top three players for other ball recoveries, the most improved English midfielder this season etc., etc, Leicester really have had absolutely nothing going for them this season.

I think they should just carry on with their simple game plan because, as the Watford manager said on Saturday, everybody knows how Leicester are going to play by now, but stopping them playing is a different matter.

Another six points should just about guarantee the Foxes a top six finish which would be their highest finish for 53 years.

One game at a time.....

I think you'll find there has been a mix up with Chelsea. After all the club logos look vaguely similar & you have a former Chelsea manager in charge (just like half of Europe does!).

Most people expected Chelsea to be top 4 & Leicester in the middle.

But good luck anyway, I'd rather you win, than either Manchester side or Arsenal. Except for your last match of the Premier League season, unless it stops any of the afore mentioned trio from winning!

I see Benteke tripped over a hair on his opponents knee yesterday.  Something to be be said for waxing after all.....:-)

Seems the aim of the game is to go down if you feel a touch.  Funny I thought the aim of the game was to go for goal if your opponent was left stranded on the ground...

Yes, apparently, he "thinks" there was contact. Presumably, as he was unsure, he fell over just in case.

Well, I "think" he's a cheat. But that only an opinion, I can't be sure.

• Like 1

Ok it makes for ammunition to take the P**s. I have gone for the Funny symbol in the above post. However in truth it is amazing that those fans  are so loyal.

They last won the FA cup in 1955 which I just remember ( the first one I do @ 69 years of age) and the First division title around the time of the "General Strike" in 1926.

Ok it was a year or two later,but it puts it into perspective.

They have been taken for granted by Ashley since about 2007, yet they still turn up..  Advertising "Wonga" really took the biscuit and I don't mean the Art Gallery.

I really feel for the true supporters of NUFC because I remember when they used to travel along the North Circular Road on their way to Wembley in the 1950's and throw coins out for us kids.Not at us, mind but for us. I guess many of them had spent six years in the services and yet despite their own hardship they were generous to Cockney Kids.

I still see relegation as there rewards this season if they lose to the Wearsiders in the Local Derby. As normal recently.

Regards, Derek.

Edited by CUTLER2579

And if you spend millions of pounds on top flight quality players, sack your manager when you are only fourth and put some clueless academy boss whilst saying promotion is not the priority - it is called Derby!!!

Another loss last night clearly he chairman's apparent aim of playing the Derby way have been achieved. Inconsistent and disappointing. Next thing we know we will be re-employing McLaren.

• Like 2

And if you spend millions of pounds on top flight quality players, sack your manager when you are only fourth and put some clueless academy boss whilst saying promotion is not the priority - it is called Derby!!!

Another loss last night clearly he chairman's apparent aim of playing the Derby way have been achieved. Inconsistent and disappointing. Next thing we know we will be re-employing McLaren.

I wouldn't joke if I was you mate. There's nowt so queer as folk. 

Except Football Club Chairmen !!!   :butcher:

Regards, Del.             Hoops for Ever

PS :- Sorry but it was only 4 Wins from 18 for J.F.H.

I wouldn't joke if I was you mate. There's nowt so queer as folk. 

Except Football Club Chairmen !!!   :butcher:

Regards, Del.             Hoops for Ever

PS :- Sorry but it was only 4 Wins from 18 for J.F.H.

Except we never win at Loftus Road anyway.

Rumour is that Steve McLaren is having a day off today, it could become the longest day off known to man. According to rumours they are in advanced talks with Rafa Benitez! That will surely save them from relegation!!!

• RMweb Gold

Is McLaren about to be given one of those Sports Direct zero hours contracts?

Choosing Benitez would involve an interesting conflict of approaches.

Benitez likes to be the main man.

Newcastle under Ashley treat their managers as mid ranking staff.

Who knows what Ashley is thinking. I am thankful I am not a Newcastle fan. I have a passing interest in the future of our ex manager. After all it seems that our promotion push derailed last year after he had his head turned by the Newcastle job and refused to rule himself out of the running. It created the uncertainty that ultimately wrecked our season.

In the end there is a bit of justice that McLaren has failed. I never thought it was the right job for him and the interference from above has hampered many a manager. But he felt the grass was greener and has now been sacked (just confirmed on BBC sport).

• RMweb Gold

I always wished that Benitez had stayed longer at Liverpool. He was failing really well there (speaking from my perspective as a Toffee).

Can't believe he would want to go to Ashley's Newcastle and almost certain relegation this season.

Could be bad news for Leicester on Monday evening. How often do a struggling team turn on a display for a new manager that nobody thought they were capable of.

I believe Rafa Benitez still has a house on the Wirral so that could be one reason for him taking the job.

As for Ashley he seems intent on upsetting the MP's by refusing to appear before their committee to talk about Sports Direct employment conditions in Derbyshire.

Could be bad news for Leicester on Monday evening. How often do a struggling team turn on a display for a new manager that nobody thought they were capable of.

I believe Rafa Benitez still has a house on the Wirral so that could be one reason for him taking the job.

As for Ashley he seems intent on upsetting the MP's by refusing to appear before their committee to talk about Sports Direct employment conditions in Derbyshire.

Ashley probably avoided Derbyshire because we want to lynch him for his part in derailing our last promotion push.

• Like 1

I'm now looking for my continence pants as I write this.....I was expecting a visit from a disorganised rabble who can't defend or score away from home and now I'm not so sure.

Leicester are due an inexplicably bad performance this season as we haven't really had one so far this season and Monday night might be it.

On the other hand, if Leicester's players are now serious about having a real go for the Premiership, what Newcastle do or don't do shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference, as long as Leicester play their normal game Newcastle probably won't be able to cope, Benitez or no Benitez.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I always wished that Benitez had stayed longer at Liverpool. He was failing really well there (speaking from my perspective as a Toffee).

Can't believe he would want to go to Ashley's Newcastle and almost certain relegation this season.

Perhaps he should go to Man Utd. Many of their fans are looking to get rid of LVG.