The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Having seen Derby at Cardiff just after Pearson got stood down from duties I'd agree with you Andyram. They won but only because Cardiff were so shockingly poor at the start of the season.

In other news Tony Pulis lost his court case and has to pay back millions to Crystal Palace. I don't bear Pulis any ill will but the details of this case are pretty shameful really. I predict there'll be a few chants aimed at him about bonuses from now on.

Dreadful news from South America.  Of course it reminded me of Munich, but sadly this time only two of the team appear to have survived...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/29/colombia-plane-carrying-brazil-football-team-crashes-latest/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/29/chapecoense-profile-brazilian-football-team-aboard-crashed-aircraft/

Edited by gordon s

Dreadful news from South America.  Of course it reminded me of Munich, but sadly this time only two of the team appear to have survived...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/29/colombia-plane-carrying-brazil-football-team-crashes-latest/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/29/chapecoense-profile-brazilian-football-team-aboard-crashed-aircraft/

Horrible. just horrible......I'd like to think that Utd would be first in line to offer 'whatever was wanted or needed'. Will they? Don't know, but they bloody well should.

Found out this morning that a guy I play "soccer" with here knew someone killed in that crash. They had played professionally together in Brazil, and his friend had gone on to be a soccer journalist. Carlos told me what he heard about why what had happened did happen, and I see suggestions to the same effect are now being published.

Something significant always seems to happen when we play Sunderland away in recent seasons:

April 2015 We complete "The Great Escape".

April 2016 We confirm Champions League football.

Dec 2016 We confirm our status as very strong candidates for relegation from the Premier League.

It seems it doesn't take long to go from resilient heroes to virtually clueless zeros - typical for Leicester City though.......

That was an amazing comeback by Bournemouth. Listening to the first half radio commentary it was all Liverpool.

In other comeback news, AFC Wimbledon against Curzon Ashton in the cup has to be the result of the weekend. 3-0 down on 80 minutes and win 4-3!

A Liverpool fan walks into a travel agents and says, "I'm looking for a small break away in England for the Christmas period, but I don't know where to go?"

The travel agent says, "You can't beat Bournemouth this time of year."

There was a time when the Boxing Day matches were local derbies. I checked the Blackpool game for that day and they are away to Hartlepool. I envisage someone at the FA seeing both names end with pool and pencilling it in as a derby. Some years ago a presenter on Football Focus said, "Now for an update on the local derby, Chester playing Chesterfield". 

Edited by Ohmisterporter

A Liverpool fan walks into a travel agents and says, "I'm looking for a small break away in England for the Christmas period, but I don't know where to go?"

The travel agent says, "You can't beat Bournemouth this time of year."

I can't believe we were 3-1 up and still lost  :O

It's a bit like Escape From Victory

Edited by Horsetan

There was a time when the Boxing Day matches were local derbies. I checked the Blackpool game for that day and they are away to Hartlepool. I envisage someone at the FA seeing both names end with pool and pencilling it in as a derby. Some years ago a presenter on Football Focus said, "Now for an update on the local derby, Chester playing Chesterfield". 

boxing day 1991 and the fa pulled out a fantastic local derby WestHam v Oldham yeah just a short trip that one 

I've also heard Plymouth v Portsmouth described as the "South Coast Derby".

Never mind that Portsmouth is closer to Birmingham than it is to Plymouth...

I've also heard Plymouth v Portsmouth described as the "South Coast Derby".

Never mind that Portsmouth is closer to Birmingham than it is to Plymouth...

Steve, I owe you an apology. I read that and thought that can't really be true, can it? Just went and looked it up on Google maps and it is indeed 12 miles closer to Birmingham than to Plymouth.

I am counting this as the thing I have learned today.

• Like 1

A bit more like last season's Leicester City at the King Power this evening with a ruthless and clinical demolition of Manchester City inside the opening 20 minutes before eventually winning 4-2..

All achieved with only 22% possession and only 122 passes all game compared to Man City's 635.

Mind you it only takes Leicester City 3 or 4 passes to score a counter attack goal when on song playing against a shambolic defence.

Apparently only the 3rd time that a Guardiola side has conceded 4 goals in a league match in his entire managerial career. Just need to win an away match now.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

A bit more like last season's Leicester City at the King Power this evening with a ruthless and clinical demolition of Manchester City inside the opening 20 minutes before eventually winning 4-2..

All achieved with only 22%possession.....

They have left it very late to go top of the table, though.

They have left it very late to go top of the table, though.

TBH I'd settle for where we are now 14th in the table, as long as we get a "glam" tie in the Champions League draw on Monday and perform well.

We need to expunge the memory of that dreadful record breaking 5-0 surrender by the "stiffs" to Oporto in midweek.

Anyone remember how football used to be?

post-6879-0-03415200-1481415412_thumb.jpeg

.....We need to expunge the memory of that dreadful record breaking 5-0 surrender by the "stiffs" to Oporto in midweek.

My old man happened to watch that one, and he couldn't believe that was Leicester; they were that bad.

Mind you, it's a bit difficult if you don't have Kanté anymore.

Edited by Horsetan