The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

Arsenal? It ought to be remembered that they are the only club to have only ever played in the top league. Maybe we can't close them down, but a spell in the now Championship League, would give them a taste of what every other club has faced!

Not quite right. They have never been relegated from the top flight.

But their history is a bit odd as they gained promotion to the top flight not via the usual system.

But their history is a bit odd as they gained promotion to the top flight not via the usual system.

I think Arsenal are the only team since the formation of the Football League that did not earn their top flight promotion on merit. They were "elected" to the top flight, despite only finishing 5th in the 1914/15 Second Division, when the First Division was enlarged to 22 teams after WW1. 

Quite complicated : http://www.blog.woolwicharsenal.co.uk/archives/5215

Even I could have scored a couple of those last night. The credit should go to the players who created the chances.

I'm guessing that it was the second goal he scored that might have been beyond your skill set  :jester: .............

Good idea, perhaps we can retake the penalties in the nasty incident referred to in the heading photo?

I haven't spotted the retake provision for players who slip onto their anuses whilst taking a penalty.......

Our sixth Championship match victory in a row (1-0 v Ipswich) means we have qualified for the Play-Offs with a game to spare - hopefully fingers crossed this year will be our year of winning at Wembley and finally (after 17 long & dark years in the EFL) getting back where we truly belong in The Premier League!

As the last line of the fans song goes, 'We're Sheffield Wednesday and we're on our way back!'

Sam

WAWAW

Arsenal? It ought to be remembered that they are the only club to have only ever played in the top league. 

IIRC Everton are the club with most years in the top flight, though they have been relegated and promoted in that time.

And Sunderland had a continuous run in the First Division until 1958 (from 1890).  I think I read that Aston Villa has spent the longest in the top division. (1888 to date).  

• RMweb Premium

Hoped Pompey would make the play-offs this season - extra bonus would have been the automatics. Didn't expect Pompey to win the league - and to win it in style with a 6-1 win. 

Sorry about Hartlepool though - their performance against Doncaster helped us win the league; a cruel twist of fate at the last minute for them.

Congratulations to Arbroath F.C. scottish league 2  champions 2017 thought i would put it here is you will here ###### all about it anywhere outside of the Angus area 

Ohh please Airdrie win the playoff spot, the thought of going to Gayfield on a winter Saturday with the wind whipping in from the North Sea again is too much to bear, mind you I haven't been in Tutties Neuk for a long time!!

Jim

Ohh please Airdrie win the playoff spot, the thought of going to Gayfield on a winter Saturday with the wind whipping in from the North Sea again is too much to bear, mind you I haven't been in Tutties Neuk for a long time!!

Jim

having spent my years watching my football at the aptly nicknamed "ice station zebra" aka Boundary Park Oldham i though i could not find a colder ground then i attended the Gayfield for a midweek night game positively baltic 

Is that why it's called the "Championship"?

I hear the Nottingham Forest open top bus celebration parade was well attended. Maintaining the tradition of the season most fans went in fancy dress as red, plastic seats.

• RMweb Gold

I hear the Nottingham Forest open top bus celebration parade was well attended. Maintaining the tradition of the season most fans went in fancy dress as red, plastic seats.

I still have fond memories of them winning back to back European cups in my youth after coming up to the then first division.Not likely to ever see that feat happen again.I have no affection for Villa but they won the big one too.

I still have fond memories of them winning back to back European cups in my youth after coming up to the then first division.Not likely to ever see that feat happen again.I have no affection for Villa but they won the big one too.

Forest actually have more European Cups than domestic top flight titles.