The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Why was the VAR not used in this match but was in others shown this weekend?

Because they are only trialling it at certain games which has to be the worse decision ever. Everyone should be on a level playing field but how can the be when the rules are now different between games. I am sure VAR will help in the long run but trialling it at random games isn't fair to anyone.  

Because they are only trialling it at certain games which has to be the worse decision ever. Everyone should be on a level playing field but how can the be when the rules are now different between games. I am sure VAR will help in the long run but trialling it at random games isn't fair to anyone.  

think it may more to do with the technology not being installed at grounds outside the prem   

think it may more to do with the technology not being installed at grounds outside the prem

An interesting aside from this. It appears the same inconsistencies occur with goal line technology. This is standard in the Premier League but not in other divisions. A few weeks ago Derby conceded a goal that was given due to goal line technology. Yet in other away games this season, including at St Andrews, Birmingham it appears the technology is not present.

On the subject of VAR and goal line technology, I agree with Danny Murphy’s views from Match of the Day. Fans inside the stadium should be kept fully informed during the use of such technology as is the case in Rugby. When the goal line technology goal was awarded at Pride Park we were aware it had been used by the referee signalling to his watch. However the goal line graphics were not shown until half time. Surely, as most grounds have big screens, the image could have been easily transmitted to the fans quickly to avoid ill feeling creeping in.

Incidentally Derby could be in trouble after a technical problem resulted in Sky Sports replays of a couple of controversial incidents appearing on the big screen during the live game with Bristol City. This is against Football League rules. However, in one case, it clearly showed that the referee had made a huge mistake in booking Cameron Jerome for diving when a penalty should have been awarded. The whole ground saw the footage clearly....now if the referee had been allowed to use those images during the game surely that it is a quicker, cheaper and just as successful use of Video technology.

Leicester had a rough" weekend from the so-called pundits:

"I think it is disgraceful. I really do," Merson said of Puel's team selection before the game.

He must be back on the sauce(s) or didn't look the team selected at all as it included:

Two Premiership winning full backs, a current England centre back, a centre back with Champions League Quarter Final experience, the former club captain of Sevilla and three times winner of the Europa League, a Euro 2016 winner, the leading scorer in the F.A.Cup since January 2016.......etc...

That was ill informed enough but then Leicester fans had to endure more suspect punditry from Danny Murphy, who must be Mahrez's de facto agent, as based on his analysis of a very decent debut from Diabate, he piped up with "This says to me that Mahrez on his way. I'm sorry to say that" I doubt that he is sorry as it's been his life's mission ever since we won the Prem to get Mahrez a transfer as he is "too good for Leicester". Even daytime TV property flogger Dion Dublin piped up with "Big shoes to fill" and Gobby Logan opined "If they can get £40-£50m for Mahrez...........zzzzzzzzzzz.

Mahrez will go when the price is right not because of a decent debut from a recent new signing

Good job I take little notice of pundits  :jester:

Edited by cary hill

....Mahrez will go when the price is right....

Could be a risk of that never happening. Or his contract expiring first. Would be a shame to see him go; I've always associated Mahrez with Leicester, and he's achieved such good things in a very short space of time with them that he might not have managed with any other team. His current hairdo, on the other hand....

Could be a risk of that never happening. Or his contract expiring first. Would be a shame to see him go; I've always associated Mahrez with Leicester, and he's achieved such good things in a very short space of time with them that he might not have managed with any other team. His current hairdo, on the other hand....

If he doesn't get his "dream move" and leaves for "nothing" when his contract expires in 2020 that's fine by me.

He doesn't owe the club anything, still represents the best £400,000 the club ever spent and was a kingpin in the greatest season in the club's history, the like of which is highly unlikely to ever be repeated by Leicester........or any similar "also-ran" club.

• RMweb Gold

I quite fancy an M69 derby in the next round as long as it's not played on London Wasps' Ricoh sand based bog.

Not to be then David, we got Brighton and you got Sheffield Utd.

• RMweb Premium

wow shocked just had it pointed out that its 2004 since Arsenal last won the premier league and  " the  crazy frog" was number one !

problem is 14 years on and hes still in charge !

And long may he remain so!

Not to be then David, we got Brighton and you got Sheffield Utd.

Yes on the face of it a bit of a boring draw for Leicester ,as we have already played Sheffield United this season in the League Cup and beaten them 4-1 on their patch, but you never know in the F.A.Cup.

I see Brighton have signed Ulloa the "earthquake" man on loan from Leicester so Coventry better watch out in Round 5 

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

If he doesn't get his "dream move" and leaves for "nothing" when his contract expires in 2020 that's fine by me.

He doesn't owe the club anything, still represents the best £400,000 the club ever spent and was a kingpin in the greatest season in the club's history, the like of which is highly unlikely to ever be repeated by Leicester........or any similar "also-ran" club.

Has thrown his dummy out of the pram with no move to City and is reported as technically on strike having missed training and last nights game.

Has thrown his dummy out of the pram with no move to City and is reported as technically on strike having missed training and last nights game.

Mahrez could be playing at the Etihad sooner than you think  - Manchester City v Leicester City February 10th  :jester:

Perhaps not though, if he is going to be in "Sulkmeister Mahrez" mode for the last third of the season, as he was for part of last season .It's not very professional and I wonder if that puts off some clubs that might be interested in signing him.

Unfortunately for him the club's owners can be very hard nosed when it suits them and they don't need to accept a below market value cut price last minute offer.at the moment.

• RMweb Premium

Well Sane is out for 6 weeks or so but City are looking at buying another defender... Mmmm...

They could have gone for that guy at Cardiff- was his name Bennett?

OK, I’ll go now.....

If past form is anything to go by, I wouldn't bother learning his name.

Long gone are the days of Ken Furphy, Watford manager from 1964 to 1971, which matched the time I lived their and started to follow the Hornets. Ken, now sadly no longer with us, one of the first English managers to go to the emerging US football scene. I remember the Watford Echo evening paper, that I delivered, running a promo to raise funds to buy a player. 

Edited by rembrow

• RMweb Premium

Watford 4 Chelsea 1. Didn't expect that, couldn't watch the game on Sky last night as I was sure we were in for a roasting. 3 points towards survival is good and unexpected. How long has this manager got (Watford's not Chelsea's)

The way things are going, he'll probably outlast Conte!