Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

I need some help on this, and may be wrong, but I half remember that Martin Peters had a streak of "bad luck" during the 1966 tournament.  All came good in the final, in that he scored England's second goal.

Sterling has played well, but has really lost confidence when it comes to putting the ball in the net.  You could see this on his second break through the Swedish defence, having picked up the ball after the goalkeeper's parry/fumble.  He appears indecisive - does he press towards goal himself or pass to Kane who has come up in support?  In the end, he decides to try to score, but that moment of indecision has lost the best opportunity.  In the Premiership, he averages out at a goal every other game - which supports the theory that it's confidence, not ability, that is lacking.

I think Gareth has done the right thing by sticking with him.  I hope for all our sakes it comes good.

For all his "faults", he is part of a winning team, that must be the most useful contribution?

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Let's leave it at that,...

I'm always a bit surprised that someone can make a statement to the effect that what someone else says is a myth, and then say "let's leave it like that".  No, but I'm quite happy (as I said earlier) to leave it on the basis that we agree to differ.  I've certainly no intention of prolonging the subject.  So let's leave it like that.  Anyone fancy a pint?

Af for the footie, I'm rather surprised that as a Scot I'm really feeling quite ambivalent about England this time round.  I think it may partly be because Mr Southgate seems to be such a good and likeable bloke, and the England players all seem to lack the ego displayed by some of the foreign stars.  They've also been playing some excellent football (and you've got a Scot coaching the England strkers!).  Best of luck against Croatia.

DT

Edited by Torper
  • Like 3

No worries. I fully support your right to differ on this.

I think Mrs May's govt. has shown sensible restraint on this. None of us truly understand the details of this case - we don't have the necessary security clearance - but there seems to be no reason to doubt that the Novichok originated in Russia. I have little doubt that a previous govt would have taken a stronger position and asked the FA not to send a team.  The current position seems a reasonable one.

There are not many things one can discuss which do not involve politics at some level. The World Cup is run by FIFA and you can't find a much more political body than that. Railways are, and always have been, a political subject.

We can't ignore the fact that the football is taking place in Russia. Many England fans chose not to go after the support shown to Russian hooligans by Putin in 2016.

And, as someone who lives close to Salisbury, I do care about the recent events there. I am glad that our Govt's reaction was commendably restrained and allowed the England team to take part. Being neither a Tory, nor an England supporter, I don't see those comments as breaching the "no politics" rule on RMWeb.

The second quote above shows your crass ignorance.

Were you discussing the football in the first post quoted? No you were not. The fact that your refer back to Mrs May's government, chemical attacks allegedly from Russia and whether England should be there - then refer to FIFA as a political organisation in the second quote + reference discussing the location of Russia and also mention Salisbury again prove that you are indeed banging on various political issues.

This page is for discussing football - that (if you needed reminding) is a game that takes place on a pitch. Therefore you should be able to comment on the outcome of a game and a tournament without referencing outside issues. If you wish to discuss the events of Salisbury and the government (yes both serious issues) do it elsewhere - do not darken these pages - THEY DO NOT BELONG HERE!!!

Returning to the point of this whole thread, tonight's game should be an interesting one - most would consider France V Belgium to be the final with winners being hot favourites to win the tournament. I wonder, if England overcome Croatia, who we would rather play.

• RMweb Gold

The second quote above shows your crass ignorance.

I am happy to let others take their view on that. I can't see anything there to justify your comment.

They will doubtless come to some judgment on yours too.

Perhaps you are getting a little overexcited by the football?

I am happy to let others take their view on that. I can't see anything there to justify your comment.

They will doubtless come to some judgment on yours too.

Perhaps you are getting a little overexcited by the football?

I am no longer going to bother to comment on your posts. Nor will I bow down to any potential threat you are making in the second line of the above comment. Nor will I even dignify the third line with a response.

That is my final comment on this page.

Goodbye all.

• RMweb Gold

I tipped Belgium to win at the outset, with their handful of outstanding world class players they should be good enough to beat anyone.

But, I have France in the office sweepstake, so the £3 prize for a semi-finalist could double to £6 for a finalist, then rise to £20 if they win.

As for England v Croatia - a tough call. England need to show far more attacking desire, give Kane a chance to poach a few goals.  But on set pieces they do look good.  (I'm Welsh, when talking about England I can't say 'we' look good.....)

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Having listened to all the professional pundits on TV, etc, I did not expect England to get this far.  This means that I now have a meeting during tomorrow's semi!  I also have to be elsewhere in the country, and not in front of a telly, during Sunday's final.  I am currently having 'fun' trying to reorganise things.

I agree with the comments about whoever wins tonight then going on to win on Sunday; I'm not really supporting one side or the other but as I have several French friends but no Belgian ones then I guess supporting the former tonight could lead to a quieter life.  Irrespective of that I would like to see England win.  They will have to take more shots, reduce dangerous passes in or near their own penalty area, and continue to allow Sterling to worry the other side's defence - it doesn't matter if he doesn't score as he seems to rattle defences just by being there.

Like Stubby, I am not English so can't really use words like 'our'.

Regards,

Alex.

Bet you got good odds on that!! :)

Best odds I've had were on the early England bet I had before it started at 16-1 to win the tournament. At the same time I got 11-2 for France to win ...so I had both ... hence me wanting France v England final.

I not sure on what I've got on the France v England final with Sterling to score as my mate has put it on for me and I won't pick the coupon up till tomorrow..... I'll report back tomorrow and see if it was worth bothering with after tonight's action !!

• Like 1

I have watched most of the matches, and from what I have seen France do look like a quality outfit; and so I would plump for a French victory tonight. 

Belgium are a good side, but I think the French might just pip them in tonight's game. 

• RMweb Gold

I don't mind who wins tonight, I think the current England side have shown they can beat either (bearing in mind we fielded 8 subs against Belgium).  I am secretly hoping for extra time and penalties though.

I wonder if the South Americans are watching the France v Belgium match and wondering why players are not rolling around on the pitch after feeling a finger on their shoulder, or not falling over repeatedly in the penalty area clutching their faces?

• Like 1

I have watched most of the matches, and from what I have seen France do look like a quality outfit; and so I would plump for a French victory tonight. 

Belgium are a good side, but I think the French might just pip them in tonight's game.

....which they did. They only needed the one goal, and could then slowly shut the game down to the extent that the Belgians picked up three bookings for being frustrated.

• RMweb Premium

Regardless of tonights outcome, we'll be playing France or Belgium at some stage.

Mike.

There is a status update "So we face the Belgians on Saturday".

What a defeatist attitude...........

On a lighter note, there is a mini roundabout in Accrington (about 400 yards from the legendary Accy Stanley ground) that has been been repainted white with a red cross over the middle.

Brilliant!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

There is a status update "So we face the Belgians on Saturday".

What a defeatist attitude..

Cheers,

Mick

It just seems a bit of harmless Hroth...... I mean Froth.....

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if the South Americans are watching the France v Belgium match and wondering why players are not rolling around on the pitch after feeling a finger on their shoulder, or not falling over repeatedly in the penalty area clutching their faces?

Hi,

I heard one commentator defending the Columbians for trying to dig up the penalty spot - he described it as a cultural thing - I can just imagine the outcome of someone using that defence if the same incident occurred at a Premiership or Championship level derby game here in the UK.  I was more surprised that the ref didn't book a couple of them.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

A strong performance from the French last night IMHO.  Quick on the break, strong defence and ability to shut the game down once in the lead.  Just one set piece separated the teams.  Thankfully England have been practising set pieces a lot as part of Gareth's strategy - when we play the French it could well be set pieces that settle the game?

A strong performance from the French last night IMHO. Quick on the break, strong defence and ability to shut the game down once in the lead. Just one set piece separated the teams. Thankfully England have been practising set pieces a lot as part of Gareth's strategy - when we play the French it could well be set pieces that settle the game?

If England do make it past Croatia (who may yet have the last laugh), they will have to try to score first against France, otherwise France will park the bus once in the lead.

Well I am not nervous about the game tonight,.... yet. 

We have goal scorers, we have pace, and we seem to have a good team spirit and belief. We have a chance.

Croatia will also know they have a chance, but I think we can do it tonight.

Come on boys!

cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Much wailing and gnashing of teeth here - my wife's laptop has just died (HDD is RIP), and I need mine for this evening's meeting; this means that she'll have to listen to the radio commentary.  She's not a happy bunny.  (We watch so little tv that we use iPlayer.)  Tried to reorganise the meeting as two of the others attending will be wanting to watch the game, but no luck there.

Assuming England do make it through to play France, I agree with the sentiment that they'll have to score first or France will close the game down.

Regards,

Alex.