The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

A colleague of mine plays for Hoddesdon...

And for those interested, it appears that West Ham will be in pole position to take over the Olympic Stadium:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12412739

West Ham have won the backing of Olympic bosses in the battle for the 2012 stadium, BBC London has learned.

Olympic Park Legacy Company (OPLC) executives have decided the offer from the club is a better solution than the rival bid from Tottenham.

The OPLC board will be asked to support the view and announce the Hammers as preferred bidder on Friday.

The government and London's mayor, Boris Johnson will then take a final decision in the coming weeks.

As a Spurs [ and Hoddesdon ] Fan i sure hope West Ham win the race for the Olympic Stadium. I most certainely dont wish to go there even though its only 2 stops more on the train from Northumberland Park Station. We are supposed to be a North London club NOT East London, thats for The Hammers and Leyton Orient, who have a fair point that this could ruin their club in the long run. Some years back it was muted that we could move to the Pickets Lock centre in Edmonton, about 2 to 3 miles north. That would be fair enough, still in North London, and from what i see that centre could do with a facelift. What is worrying though is the club seem to have given up on the idea of the new stadium at White Hart Lane as being financialy not viable. How comes its cheaper to Knock down the Olympic Stadium and start again than re-develop land next to the existing ground ?

Okay-ish England match - saw three of my favourite ex-Charlton players on the pitch - Scott Parker, Darren Bent & Dennis Rommedahl all putting in some good football. Overall there's a long way to go before the qualifiers, but I am confident in Bent and I am certainly more confident in the overall structure of the team.

As for the Olympic stadium - whoever gets it, good luck to them.

• RMweb Premium

As a Hammers fan, I'm sad at the thought of West Ham leaving the Boleyn Ground and also not looking forward to sitting so far away from the action at a stadium that seems completely unsuited to football.

Plenty of other clubs have moved grounds, and nothing stays the same for ever, the move makes good sense in the long term (as long as we don't drop a division in the meantime) but to me Upton Park=West Ham United, I have many happy (and not so happy) memories of standing on the Chicken Run and the North Bank (and I don't like to think of the likes of Gold & Sullivan claiming all the credit).

Bit like the end of steam really, it had to happen but it still made me sad!

• RMweb Gold

It's my birthday today, best present I got was this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGLYBCZDRfc&feature=player_embedded#at=31

Tonight, I love football :D

An excellent strike and worthy of winning any game but it doesn't make up for his poor performance last summer when it really mattered.

An excellent strike and worthy of winning any game but it doesn't make up for his poor performance last summer when it really mattered.

Sorry, but yesterday meant more to me, won me a bob or two and the stick I'd have taken on monday morning........................

As a Hammers fan, I'm sad at the thought of West Ham leaving the Boleyn Ground and also not looking forward to sitting so far away from the action at a stadium that seems completely unsuited to football.

Plenty of other clubs have moved grounds, and nothing stays the same for ever, the move makes good sense in the long term (as long as we don't drop a division in the meantime) but to me Upton Park=West Ham United, I have many happy (and not so happy) memories of standing on the Chicken Run and the North Bank (and I don't like to think of the likes of Gold & Sullivan claiming all the credit).

Bit like the end of steam really, it had to happen but it still made me sad!

Colin, I wouldn't panic too much. A couple of bits of info, with the track in place the distance from the as built first row to the pitch will be only 1.5m greater than the current distance of the west stand to the pitch. One other thing that has been kept quiet until now is that WHU ARE looking into a £10million system of retractable seating which will cover the track when not in use. If the retractable seating idea is workable the supporters will be closer to the pitch than the west stand and Bobby Moore stands are now.

Lets be blunt. The area is dying a painful death. Green St has become a sh*thole. Apart from Ken's cafe and a couple of run down pubs there isn't much in the way of businesses that will be impacted. Most supporters used to live locally. These days I seem to remember reading its less than 5%. Nearly 20,000 supporters go through Stratford's transport links already on match days. For them its going to be a time saving. Most fans are looking at this through claret tinted glasses. Upton Park ceased to be the place we all loved years ago.

• RMweb Premium

Hammers inspired by the Toon comeback last week - from 3-0 to 3-3, can't be bad (and either side could have nicked it at the end). Fantastic game for the neutral, a nail-biter for Hammers and Baggies fans alike - some of the worst defending I've ever seen from both teams!

Demba Ba looks useful - just as well as we've just lost Robbie Keane for at least a month!

Andrew - take your point about Green Street, it is pretty dire these days. My problem is that I back reluctantly into the future!

Hammers inspired by the Toon comeback last week - from 3-0 to 3-3, can't be bad (and either side could have nicked it at the end). Fantastic game for the neutral, a nail-biter for Hammers and Baggies fans alike - some of the worst defending I've ever seen from both teams!

Demba Ba looks useful - just as well as we've just lost Robbie Keane for at least a month!

Andrew - take your point about Green Street, it is pretty dire these days. My problem is that I back reluctantly into the future!

Me too. A pint in the Green Man, pie & mash at Duncan's, then £2 to stand on the North Bank. Back in the day when footie was more than a Sky Sports marketing product. Then again my local club (Welling United) had a promotion with the local 'spoons recently. Pint, burger, and a ticket for a tenner.

Today the Green Man is a housing development. Duncans is still there but impossible to get near on match day due to the lack of alternatives, and you need a member card & at least £40 to get into the ground.

The Olympic Stadium could be a hideous mistake, or it could be the best thing any club has ever done. I'm hoping it's the latter!

I'm still undecided but am leaning to being more pro than anti. Unfortunately, we can't really make any informed decisions until we see some detailed plans or designs. I've already emailed the club and asked to be listed for any upcoming Olympic Stadium tours, which they are hoping to sort out in the next couple of months.

I must admit at half-time yesterday, I was beginning to get pig-sick of this season. I've bean a glass half-full kind guy all season, but the glass was rapidly emptying! *If* we can continue that kind of performance, we'll be OK. But I've been saying that after a few games e.g. Spurs, Wolves, Man Utd in the CC...

What a great result for Spurs tonight, 1 - 0 away at AC Milan, but what was that Gatuso on ? How many fouls did he commit ? and as for his disgusting behaviour with Joe Jordan it is beyond belief, did he realise who he was taking on ? Joe may now be in his 60s but he certainly new how to look after himself in his playing days. Still makes for an interesting match in a couple of weeks time, Spurs are by no means through But my champions league dream is still alive { well for 2 more weeks anyway } :D

Whilst I'm not an Arsenal fan, I really must say that last nights game was great to watch. I thought Barcelona played the ball majestically and Arsenal (if you'll excuse the pun) stuck to their guns and just let them get on with it. Now whether that was just the way they wanted to play or that Barca where just too good for them I don't know.

I though Van Persie's goal was just lucky, definately goalkeeper error there, but it was enough to knock the wind out of Barcas sails, but Arshavins goal was just brilliant, the counter attacking play was fabulous and Arshavins strike was just sublime.

Hopefully all the British teams can prgress through to the next rounds of the Champions League and Europa League and stuff Johnny Foreigner :P :P

Even with the teams full of Johnny Foreigners, now don't get me started on that subject :blink: :blink:

Regards

Neal.

Oooohhhhh!!!!!

Championship title chase is getting exciting, with the Mighty Foxes winning on Friday and then Cardiff losing, also with Leeds drawing with Norwich and also QPR only getting a draw, this has really tightened it all up at the top.

Leicester travel to Cardiff on Tuesday and if we can get a win there, well that would really bring us in to touching distance of the playoffs. We do have to play all the top teams in the next few weeks, so as long as we don't lose to any of them then that puts us into a good position should any of the others slip up.

UTF

Neal.

• Like 1

Hi

When to watch my team Oldham Athletic today and they lose 5-0 to Peterborough I can't believe they lost that much both team did quick well in first half where oldham could bin 1-0 up but saying that Peterborough could be 2-0 at half time but second half was the worse when Peterborough score they first goal they was complete control.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9401906.stm

Blimey - you didn't stop for breath in that review, did you? Not even for a comma!

As a Brummie (well, ish), it was nice to see comprehensive wins for Aston Villa and Wolves today. Who knows? It might be a sign that Birmigham can snatch something tomorrow - I'm sure they'd settle for Villa's 4-1 at this stage!

Frustrating that my favoured team (Chelsea) don't have a game at all this weekend. Very disappointing after a good CL result in th week, where my main man Nic showed that he's still got the touch. I know it's League Cup final weekend, but who comes up with the fixtures*? 5 games on a Saturday is pathetic.

*I don't know for certain, but I'm guessing that the answer involves the letters K, S and Y, though not necessarily in that order.

• Like 1

Blimey - I thought that there'd be a flurry of response after today's games, but nothing. In that case, may I be the first RMwebber to congratulate Birmingham City on their fine (and thoroughly deserved) win today? They were the better team for long periods, and were unlucky that the Lino mistakenly gave an offside after less than a minute. If that call had gone their way, it could easily have been a bigger margin of victory.

I'd also like to give a big cheer for West Ham - I had a funny feeling that they'd win today, but I thought that 1-0 was the likely score. Clearly, as a Chelsea fan, I'm not supposed to have any time for other teams, particularly London ones, but I still retain some sympathy for Avram Grant after the way he was unceremoniously dumped by the Blues, with only a multi-million pound payoff to console him...

• Like 1

From a liverpool fan well done to west ham, tactics ,work ethic just right hopefully the 'kenny effect' not wearing off for liverpool just yet!

Amazing result for Birmingham as well, never gave them a chance but well done hopefully now they will avoid relegation (unless it's them or blackpool).

mark

Can't call tuesday night though man u or chelsea on results/ form etc man u should walk it but you never know!

From a liverpool fan well done to west ham, tactics ,work ethic just right …

Work ethic – two words missing from my team, Man City's philosophy this afternoon, along with team spirit and belief… pathetic! Great results for West Ham and Birmingham, who posessed such things in spades today… richly deserved!

Yep, ' played, Birmingham. Arsenal to kick on or fold, don't know myself, they do seem to have a bit of a soft centre, I think if Wegner wasn't so stubborn and had gone out and bought a quality keeper and a centre half like Gary Cahill then things could and would be different.

I'm off out to a football related 'birthday' party tomorrow, might be the last, you never know, but 35 'ahem' is a fair old innings.........! Might not be quite as happy this time next week.....football....funny old game!

Might not be quite as happy this time next week... football... funny old game!

As a Chelsea fan to a Man U fan, I can confidently predict that... I don't have a clue what will happen on Tuesday. Both our teams won on their last outings, but can either of us claim that our lot are actually playing well ?

Funny old game, but even if the quality's not been there this season, the Premiership has at least been unpredictable.