The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

It may be inverse snobbery - but I know a good load of "top four" supporters who have never known a time when their clubs were struggling for money or their very existence. Circumstances make you more or less grateful for the good times you have. I think to be a real fan, you have to suffer as a real fan, and that invariably means not supporting Manchester United/Arsenal/or similar and supporting your local team. Not just reaping the rewards of the good times, but being there for the bad times too.

I take your point, Simon, but I don't necessarily believe that you have to suffer to be classified as a supporter. I'm full of admiration for what the supporters of Charlton and other clubs have done to pull their teams back from the brink but it doesn't invalidate the experience of other supporters who have not been through that process.

My appreciation of football is very like my appreciation of railways in that I mostly like all of it whilst having some particular favourites. In football these are Arsenal, Bolton Wanderers, Southport and Waterford United but along the way I've spent some time with the likes of Queens Park Rangers, Bristol Rovers and Crystal Palace for reasons which it's not necessary to go into here.

Congratulations on the season, Simon. Really pleased for Chris Powell who seems like a real gentleman and I hope that you have another good season in the Championship (2nd Division!). Any chance that you'll do a Norwich or Southampton?

As you may imagine, Sunday afternoon is going to be a bit tense 'chez Long'.

David

• Like 1

I take your point, Simon, but I don't necessarily believe that you have to suffer to be classified as a supporter. I'm full of admiration for what the supporters of Charlton and other clubs have done to pull their teams back from the brink but it doesn't invalidate the experience of other supporters who have not been through that process.

My appreciation of football is very like my appreciation of railways in that I mostly like all of it whilst having some particular favourites. In football these are Arsenal, Bolton Wanderers, Southport and Waterford United but along the way I've spent some time with the likes of Queens Park Rangers, Bristol Rovers and Crystal Palace for reasons which it's not necessary to go into here.

I would call you a "real football fan" David - perhaps there should be a distinction between football fan, and club football fan. I have found myself able to enjoy watching other teams, most certainly, and admire players from other teams, but football for me ends with the be all, and end all, of Charlton Athletic. Perhaps the best thing about football is the personal touch we all bring to it.

Congratulations on the season, Simon. Really pleased for Chris Powell who seems like a real gentleman and I hope that you have another good season in the Championship (2nd Division!). Any chance that you'll do a Norwich or Southampton?

As you may imagine, Sunday afternoon is going to be a bit tense 'chez Long'.

David

Thank you kindly David. :) I have to say, Chris Powell was the perfect choice and I was thrilled when they appointed him. I said he'd take us up - I didn't think in quite such a spectacular fashion, as I will demonstrate with the BBC's football league table:

post-1656-0-16459600-1336469422_thumb.jpg

They have been in pole position since the 9th September 2011 - my 24th birthday! What a present.

There's only one Chris Powell - future England Manager (but hopefully not any time soon!)

• Like 1

Apologies - just get fed up of people who seem to think football only exists in the Premiership. Was watching an old recording of a Midlands derby match in what is now the Championship - one player picked the ball up on the edge of his own penalty area, ran the whole length of the pitch to score. The commentator ridiculed the goal as being agricultural - now if it was Rooney....

3 up 3 down came into existance before the playoffs came about - with West Ham in mind they won the 2nd division (now Championship) for the 1980/1 season and were promoted along with Notts County and Swansea City. The playoffs were introduced from the 1986/7 season.

If I am not mistaken, wasn't the first season of the playoffs contested not only by teams from the old second division, but also one from immediately above the relegation zone of the first division, as it was then?

That seemed very unfair and didn't last long.

If I am not mistaken, wasn't the first season of the playoffs contested not only by teams from the old second division, but also one from immediately above the relegation zone of the first division, as it was then?

I think something similar still occurs in Scotland, with, for example, the 9th team in Div.1 joining the 2nd, 3rd and 4th in Div.2 in a playoff.

Anyhow, the final whistle's not yet gone*, but I think we can safely say that Chelsea have secured 6th place in the league tonight... oh well, we've always got Munich! Liverpool too good, and Chelsea not good enough on this occasion. I still don't rate Daniel Sturridge, not as a man you'd trust to play for the team - maybe as a 15-minute impact man, but he's nowhere good as he seems to think he is.

At the other end of the table, I was pleased that Villa have survived, but also that Wigan beat Blackburn. While I have much sympathy for Steve Kean, and admiration for the way he's handled himself, I am appalled at the ways the crowds have treated him all year. So goodbye Blackburn - the nastiest bunch of supporters in the league can go and spew their venom in the Championship. Do they not think that their spite and negativitiy have affected the players, and cost the team at least a couple of points? On the positive side, I am tremendously pleased for Roberto Martinez and Dave Whelan - was there ever such obviously genuine warmth between manager and chairman? Fantastic.

*It has now. Congrats to Liverpool. Where were you all year?

Edited by Steve K
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

*It has now. Congrats to Liverpool. Where were you all year?

Too bad they didn't play like that all day last Saturday.

:scratchhead:

Kevin Martin

• RMweb Premium

Part of the statement said: "We would like to assure supporters that any decisions will include the long-term interests of our supporters, our community and the survival and development of Cardiff City Football Club in a highly competitive and modern sporting industry.

As a club we... fully recognise the legitimate interests of the fans, supporters and media in the affairs of the club and their right to information in respect of the same.

Blah, blah, blah. Do they really care about what the fans think? No. 'Sports Direct Arena' anyone?

David

• Like 1

Yes it was something like that - they probably based it on the Test Matches which were used when the Football League was extended to two divisions in 1892; the top team in Div2 played the bottom team in Div1, the second top played the second bottom, and the third top played the third bottom. Att he end of the 1892/3 Notts County were relegated after finishing third bottom but losing lost 3-2 to Darwen, the two teams below Notts stayed up - Accrington and, at the bottom, Newton Heath. As the latter became Man U how history may have been different if automatic promotion/relegation had existed.

With just over 38,000 tickets to each of the clubs this will be one Wembley final that has a properly representative ticket allocation, so the real fans should be able to get tickets. All of the play off finals will be properly allocated too. How unlike the FA Cup Final, with corporate sponsors and hangers on getting tickets instead of the fans.

• Like 1

Another night of kamikaze football....

I heard about that. Must have been on a par with the Czech Republic making that amazing comeback against Holland in the Euro2000s.

....How unlike the FA Cup Final, with corporate sponsors and hangers on getting tickets instead of the fans.

...or indeed the Olumpics?

Edited by Horsetan

Any bold predictions for tomorrow's PL finale?

QPR's performance could affect things at both ends of the table, but with their away form being so dismal, it's hard to see them stopping Man City's final push. Besides, it's a while since Cisse has been sent off, isn't it? Whether he'll manage to score before he goes, I don't know, but my prediction, such as it is, is that QPR will likely finish with 10 men or fewer, and lose by 3 or 4.

I wish i had your confidence, Steve! I suspect City will come across an 11 man QPR defence, after all a draw is all they need... I can see 65%/35% in possession but a draw... Packed defences are notoriously difficult to break down, so I'm not confident about us winning, though I can see United have no such issues at Sunderland... Mind you if City do manage to squeeze one in...

Can't decide whether to go to the local club and watch it or stay away and hope that will be the way to do it!

Not so much confidence, Hobby (I'm a Chelsea fan, and therefore slightly detached from the top-of-the-table stuff these days!), as a gut feeling. I'm sure you're right, though - QPR have every reason to try to be stubborn, and will be delighted with a point, but once the floodgates open...

As for Chelsea vs Blackburn today, I find it hard to predict. Both teams have abolutely nothing to play for except pride - 6th and 19th places are now nailed on - so I imagine Blackburn will want to put on a show. Chelsea will either put out a "last practice session before the Champions' League final" team, or will rest just about everyone you've ever heard of, and give the likes of Sam Hutchinson a bit of a run-out. Either way, I predict at least 6 goals, but the eventual winner may be decided more by Chelsea's team selection than anything else.

For a really wild prediction, how's about this: Emile Heskey to score against Norwich!

I think it's going to be a good afternoon listening to Jeff Stelling on the Telly...! I am going to enjoy listening to the footie with a pint of Flying Scotsman and a few football friends. One Arsenal fan, one Tottenham fan, one Chelsea fan, one Charlton fan (me!) - should be good banter.

Jeez, what a fantastic afternoon....Even as a Spurs supporter, I was willing City to win, but once again the football Gods conspire against you. 2-1 down against 10 men and then two goals in injury time. Tremendous excitement...

Will Barton ever kick a ball again? He may be innocent before proven guilty, but its happened far too many times.

• Like 1