Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

It certainly was dramatic stuff, well done to City.

I remember the Liverpool - Arsenal back in 89 and Micheal Thomas. Steve McMahon telling his team mates "only one minute, only one minute too go" and of course the late great Brian Moore on commentary.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It certainly was dramatic stuff, well done to City.

and of course the late great Brian Moore on commentary.

Absolutely. 'Its up for grabs now'......

• Like 2

As a City fan for many years, this afternoon has seen my nerves shredded to pieces.

Jeff Stelling and Co. were a great way to keep up with developments, but I wonder just how long it will take Paul Merson's pulse to settle back to something near normal!

• Like 5

Yes, Congratulations to Man City. Makes a change anyway. As for me i now have to sweat on Chelsea losing the Champions League Final. Awkward realy as i dont want to support a foreign team over an English team BUT would be choked to miss out on the Champions League money next season as we have played good football MOST of the season.

• Like 1

In Fergies interview he said they had 5 mins injury time which helped them eerrr pot/kettle but considering city's was for 2 qpr goals and barton running around taking on the whole city team didn't think it was too excessive. To be fair though fergie did congratulate city!

Did barton try to headbutt kompany didn't look convincing on the news footage?

• Like 1

Superb afternoon of football. Saw a fantastic game of football at Wembley :)

And of course, we had the monitor on in the corporate box with all the Sky Sports news team going mental. I am grateful my cousin is a much more intelligent person than I am (she's a lawyer) otherwise I don't think I'd ever have seen Wembley Stadium as a football fan. It was amazing, will put up pics later.

Commiserations to United but to be frank, who but Manchester City was going to win today. Thought it was all over when QPR took the lead, but it's that man Aguero - my favourite player of the season (bar my obvious Bradley Wright-Philips bias) - who cemented the title for them.

What a fantastic day of football. We truly have the best leagues in the world here.

Edited by S.A.C Martin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done City, but rather typical - the Hollywood-style nail-biting climax shouldn't have been necessary.

As for Spurs, fourth not bad, but Harry must build more resilience into the club ethos. A bit more grit, determination and commitment and we could easily have been third.

• Like 2

I cannot begin to describe the relief of finally ridding that flippin' heavy monkey from my back after 44 long years. And what a climax to the season - think I need to lie down… again!

Edited by Mucky Duck
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have you seen Barton's attempted justification on twitter?

Quote from the BBC site

He added: "The head was never gone at any stage, once I'd been sent off, one of our players suggested I should try to take one of theirs with me. It never worked but god loves a trier."

Couldn't believe I'd read that. Disgusting.

• Like 2

I do wonder if the BBC just makes up statistics. For example...

Manchester United's 89 points is the highest for the runners-up in 20 seasons of the Premier League.

Okay, fair enough. Then we get this just below...

Only Man Utd (93/94 - 92 pts) , Man Utd (99/00 - 91 pts) , Arsenal (03/04 - 90 pts) , Chelsea (04/05 - 95 pts), Chelsea (05/06 - 91 pts) , Man Utd (08/09 - 90 pts) have beaten United's points tally for this season.

So it's not actually the highest for a second placed team. At all. In the twenty years of the "Premier League".

Am I missing the point?

• RMweb Gold

The teams in the second quote all won the title in those seasons. They weren't second place totals but winning totals.

So 89 pts was not only the highest total for second place but would have won outright most other seasons.

• Like 1

The teams in the second quote all won the title in those seasons. They weren't second place totals but winning totals.

So 89 pts was not only the highest total for second place but would have won outright most other seasons.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Well done City, but rather typical - the Hollywood-style nail-biting climax shouldn't have been necessary.

As for Spurs, fourth not bad, but Harry must build more resilience into the club ethos. A bit more grit, determination and commitment and we could easily have been third.

Ah well, you see its tradition at White Hart Lane to make it as diificult for ones self as possible. Part of the club ethos, grab failure from the teeth of glory. I guess 4th isn't failure in most peoples eyes, but it could/ should have been much better. Many managers have come and gone but the tradition stays the same. I realy dont know what it would take to be realy succesful, maybe if Abramovich had bought Spurs instead of Chelsea as he intended to do then his money would have worked.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah well, you see its tradition at White Hart Lane to make it as diificult for ones self as possible. Part of the club ethos, grab failure from the teeth of glory. I guess 4th isn't failure in most peoples eyes, but it could/ should have been much better. Many managers have come and gone but the tradition stays the same. I realy dont know what it would take to be realy succesful, maybe if Abramovich had bought Spurs instead of Chelsea as he intended to do then his money would have worked.

Well, as we've said before, the problem is at least 20 years old. Different squads and different managers, so the problems must come from somewhere else in the club. I think that the sacking of Martin Jol gave more than a hint of where the blame, and therefore the solution, lies. Even under Harry, the team has often lacked the desire to win, with the opposition first to every ball. In a couple of matches it looked as though some of the players were there in body, but their minds were elsewhere. The capitulation to Arsenal in February demonstrated the lack of desire and belief. It was heads down and sulk rather than fight back. I'm not sure that Abramovich and his ilk are the answer. His money may have bought Chelsea some glory, but he also seems to be a destabilising influence.

Anyway, I - along with many others, I suspect - will be honorary Bayern fans for the next week or so...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Then you'd be called Spurski

:threaten:

Kevin Martin

• Like 2

.... if Abramovich had bought Spurs instead of Chelsea as he intended to do then his money would have worked.

I think he would still have meddled in the same way as he has done with Chelski. Then you could have a new Lloyd Webber musical about the whole thing, entitled Fiddler On The Hoof.

Funny this, even as a Spurs supporter, I want Chelsea to win as they are representing the English Premier League.

As far as Spurs are concerned, 4th is just not good enough. We had loads of chances to finish 3rd but blew it. I know you can say Spurs finished above Chelsea and have more right to it, but I would still rather an English team won the Champions League rather than the Germans. I've supported United, Liverpool and even shock, horror, Arsenal in finals in the past, yet I've been a Tottenham man since my Dad took me to my first game 54 years ago.

Of course I won't be devastated if Chelsea get beat, but couldn't support a European team over a Premier League one.

• Like 2

Funny this, even as a Spurs supporter, I want Chelsea to win as they are representing the English Premier League.

As far as Spurs are concerned, 4th is just not good enough. We had loads of chances to finish 3rd but blew it. I know you can say Spurs finished above Chelsea and have more right to it, but I would still rather an English team won the Champions League rather than the Germans. I've supported United, Liverpool and even shock, horror, Arsenal in finals in the past, yet I've been a Tottenham man since my Dad took me to my first game 54 years ago.

Of course I won't be devastated if Chelsea get beat, but couldn't support a European team over a Premier League one.

Just dont fancy seeing Terry lifting the Cup, and evidently he is allowed to.

• Like 1

So just to clarify. On a limited budget, and in his first full season in charge, Chris Powell throws together 17 new players into one squad last summer. Charlton Athletic go top of League 1 on the 9th September, 2011, and remain there (as in, did not go lower than 1st at any point) until the end of the season, finishing on 101 points and winning 30 matches (15 home, 15 away).

How is he not manager of the year? I can understand Pardew (ex Charlton manager funnily enough!) has done an excellent job at Newcastle, but how are "his achievements there for all to see" over Chris Powell?

I know I'm biased, but Chrissy Powell deserves some recognition for his achievements above and beyond that of an ordinary League 1 season.

EDIT: Well I'm clearly talking rubbish!

Powell Named League 1 Manager of the Year

Addicks boss Chris Powell was named the npower Football League One Manager of the Year on Monday night.

The Charlton chief was recognised at the League Managers' Association (LMA) event after leading the Addicks to the League One title with a club record 101 points.

Numerous other club records were smashed along the way as Charlton were only defeated five times in league action, and Powell also claimed three manager of the month accolades during the campaign.

The end-of-season award is a fitting conclusion to the club's successful 2011/12 campaign, and sees Powell become the first Charlton boss to win a manager of the year award since Alan Curbishley in 2000.

Elsewhere, former Addicks boss Alan Pardew won the Premier League and overall LMA awards with Newcastle United, while ex-Charlton striker Paolo Di Canio won the League Two accolade with Swindon Town.

Edited by S.A.C Martin