The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

The views on this seem to be polarised. Other papers are taking the view that, by refusing to join the list of standby players, it is Richards that has snubbed England.

• RMweb Premium

About the only good reason I would support for changing or abolishing the offside law would be to stop managers making interminable excuses for losing because the goal was offside (Bill Shankley once claimed all five were offside. . .). This when the opposition player may have been marginally offside but the reason he scored was because of poor marking. This is using the offside law as an excuse for your own teams deficiences.

The trouble is there are people who think that lots of goals are a good thing but this takes a very superficial view of the game and is not one, I believe, that is generally taken by most people who watch it regularly. If you want to see a game with high scores go and watch basketball. . .

By the way, anyone who appreciates the true art of defending as demonstrated by not exactly top-of-the-range players should watch Trapp's Irish at the upcoming championships. Three goals conceded in the qualifiers, now that's what I call defending.

Tikka takka! Pah!

David

• RMweb Premium

Getting extremely bored with the whole squad selection thing here.

Why oh why are the media doing all they can to destabilise the England team in the final days before Euro 2012? There seems to be the pathological desperation to ruin any preparation the team have made, and to undermine Hodgson.

"Roy should explain really​ why he left out Rio" scream the papers...why should he? He gave his reasons and that should be that.

As for Rio Ferdinand himself - SHUT UP! Leave off your stupid twitter account, and tell your agent to stop sh*t stirring as well.

As I have grumbled about a few times in the past, it is exactly this attitude of having the divine right to play for England that has lead to so many dismal performances in competition over the last few years. Terry is a prime example of this, and Ferdinand seems to be whinging and sniping from the sidelines because he was not automatically on the team sheet. You have been dropped mate, and certainly stand no chance getting into the squad following the show of petulance displayed over the last few days.

• Like 7

Ferdinand was probably done no favours by his club manager, who stated quite clearly that he didn't feel that Rio could play a game every 4 days. This must have had an influence on Hodgson's thinking. However, with all the injuries and late call-ups, you'd have thought that Rio's "adviser" would have felt it prudent to stick a sock in it, and not just stir things up. After all, one more injury - to Terry or who knows who else - might well result in a call being made to Ferdinand. Now, even that slim hope seems unlikely.

As for Micah Richards, if the reports of how he turned down a standby place are true, then that's terribly disappointing behaviour from a bright young player. You might argue - and you'd find me in agreement - that he should have been given a place in the main squad, but he wasn't. However, he was apparently handed a reserve spot, and I'm stunned he didn't take it. At the end of the tournament, if Richards had really shone, no-one would be saying "it doesn't count, he wasn't first choice", would they? In fairness, as with Ferdinand, I can see why Micah Richards wasn't picked - we all know how good he can be, but in a squad of megastars such as City's, it can be hard to really stand out.

Anyway, I'm not here to bleat about selection or non-selection of this or that player*. I actually feel more positive about England's chances, the more big names are left out. After all, how many of them have really performed well in the past? Of the "old guard", only Steven Gerrard and the oft-derided (though rarely for football reasons) Ashley Cole have really performed consistently well for England over recent years. Now, if only Glen Johnson or Stewart Downing would pick up a slight knock, we'd be in with a great chance...

*Well, not much.

Edited by Steve K

I agree about keeping the old guard out. To an extent, I think that also applies to Rooney. I also think Hodgson could get them to perform well above expectations.

But that in itself is raising expectations. D'oh!

As usual with these things we can only go on what the papers make up (sorry, report)... Unless we are privy to the actual conversations that took place (in the cases of Ferdinand and Richards in this case) I don't think we'll have any idea what was said and why decisions were taken... I think that the Press are often (always?) a little generous with the truth simply so sell more papers... As such I take what they say with a large pinch of salt!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If I was more confident about our ability to beat Sweden I'd think that this was a good result as it is we may have to aim for five points and hope it's enough.

This truly is an England team of no stars and Premier league journeyman players. Still prefer to see Defoe start as he knows where the goal is.

Standout performance so far was by Russia but they may have to wait 'til the quarters to play a decent side.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rather better than I expected. Not sold on Wellbeck entirely but I found it amusing that the "English play too deep and rely on set pieces" mantra of the French manager came to pass. I think there's potential to build on this and do better.

Funny, I heard it translated that he said there would be two different footballing philosophies on display (implying theirs was going to be more entertaining than ours)

I don't think we were much more conservative than them. They certainly can't call themselves entertaining or adventurous based on last night. We were more attacking than I expected - we got in behind them very effectively several times in the first half particularly and better finishing might have seen us 2 or 3 up. If the ref had penalised any of the several professional fouls by french players that prevented english breakaways it might have been different. Messers Cabaye and Ribery would certainly have had something to think about.

Is it me or has the refereeing been generally poor, fussy and inconsistent but without the major howlers (apart from the two missing Irish penalties)

Guest dilbert

The English playing a zonal defensive system is amusing - way back in the 70s Italian football was critiqued for the same approach in the UK press - score a goal and defend - the major difference between the two is that the Italians had some talent upfront.

Re. the Euro 2012 - the English squad's 23 players all play in the UK - combine that with the English playing French squad players, this takes the number up to thirty (or thereabouts) of UK resident players. And yet who played the better football?

The French are probably rueing lost points - their approach is definitely more positive than the English... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

The English playing a zonal defensive system is amusing - way back in the 70s Italian football was critiqued for the same approach in the UK press - score a goal and defend - the major difference between the two is that the Italians had some talent upfront.

Re. the Euro 2012 - the English squad's 23 players all play in the UK

You can count on one hand the English players who have been a success when playing abroad.

• RMweb Premium

Poland seemed to do quite well last night - they seem happy enough with it here in Little Warsaw Ealing.

Poland showed a lot of application yesterday evening, Russia don't do application - it's what lets them down.

I lived in Ealing for a couple of years circa 1969 in Mount Park Road, then Ealing Common.

David

So, our 'Arry' has gone. As a Spurs fan i'm gutted, the football over the last 3 seasons has been entertaining, and he saved us from relegation the year he took over from that walking disaster Ramos. I suppose the team imploding in the last third of the season and throwing away a 10 point lead over Arsenal hasn't helped him, plus Chelski's unlikely win of the CL took away our own CL place. It is widely reported that Levy was furious and he and Arry fell out over it. So, who now Moyes ? been too long at Everton, Martinez ? well he'd probably keep us up. Who else ? i just don't know. Its the usual 2 steps forward 2 back that seems to afflict this club. They need to stick with one manager Like Arsenal and United then and only then will real success come. Off to drown my sorrows...

• Like 2

I cannot believe the stupidity of Levy. For god's sake, give the man a contract and GIVE HIM THE MONEY.

With respect to the Spurs fans on this board, this is why Spurs are always going to be an also ran at the minute. The chairman has a way of hitting the self destruct button every time the club looks like making that step up. It's almost criminal to see Redknapp walk away from Spurs.

• Like 5

I cannot believe the stupidity of Levy. For god's sake, give the man a contract and GIVE HIM THE MONEY.

With respect to the Spurs fans on this board, this is why Spurs are always going to be an also ran at the minute. The chairman has a way of hitting the self destruct button every time the club looks like making that step up. It's almost criminal to see Redknapp walk away from Spurs.

If even a rabid Charlton fan is worried about Spurs, there really must be something wrong!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I cannot believe the stupidity of Levy...

...The chairman has a way of hitting the self destruct button every time the club looks like making that step up.

Which is what I was hinting at some way back in this thread. The sacking of Martin Jol proved where the problem lay and today's events beggar belief. Perhaps Mr Levy is a secret Arsenal fan...

• Like 2

Which is what I was hinting at some way back in this thread. The sacking of Martin Jol proved where the problem lay and today's events beggar belief. Perhaps Mr Levy is a secret Arsenal fan...

Couldn.t agree more, I think its time we, as Spurs fans, sacked Levy. Damn we can't, he co owns the club with Joe Lewis.

• Like 1